• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Bashed Again by Consumer Reports



    Over the weekend, my colleague and fellow MMi staff writer Wiley John Wright covered the forthcoming conclusion of Apple's free iPhone 4 case program. As we've known for some time, the program in question will draw to a close in two weeks on September 30th. Understandably, however, all are not pleased with the decision by Apple to halt the case program.

    In particular, the folks at Consumer Reports (who first ripped Apple to shreds in the wake of "Antennagate") are taking yet another strong stand against Apple and reiterating the publication's refusal to recommend the iPhone 4. Yesterday on its official blog, Consumer Reports once again condemned Apple's "less consumer-friendly" actions. That is, "Putting the onus on any owners of a product to obtain a remedy to a design flaw is not acceptable to us," the note from Consumer Reports read.

    We therefore continue not to recommend the iPhone 4, and to call on Apple to provide a permanent fix for the phone's reception issues.
    But Apple has repeatedly stated (when asked by inquiring journalists) that the company will not extend the free case program because, according to the folks in Cupertino, the "problem" that the case was meant to solve has largely faded away. After all, Steve Jobs himself said he thought "Antennagate" was an overblown media feeding frenzy and little else. It now appears that Apple's decision to go through with discontinuing the free case program confirms Jobs' opinion and stated desire to "get past" this unfortunate chapter in Apple's history.

    Consumer Reports
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Bashed Again by Consumer Reports started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 113 Comments
    1. AnthonyGiola's Avatar
      AnthonyGiola -
      Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
      leave britney alone!!!!!!!!!!1
    1. MatrixTech's Avatar
      MatrixTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
      I have an i4 16gb, have not had any signal issues or proximity issues. Running on Rogers network in Canada. I did send for the free case though cause, wtf, it's free. Sorry for the users (mostly in the US) who have signal and dropped call issues.
      I would love someone to take a trip north and roam on Rogers and see if you still have a signal issue or if it's just AT&T's network. Just sayin.
      I also bought my own case, Roots Tuff. Had one on my 3G, sure it's bulky but I cartwheeled my 3G with that case on and not even a scratch.
      Just happy to protect my phone.
      Regardless of what consumer reports wants to publish this is the best phone I've owned.
      Clearly it has nothing to do with the network the phone is on..silly
    1. The_Durben's Avatar
      The_Durben -
      Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTech View Post
      Clearly it has nothing to do with the network the phone is on..silly
      Sorry, should have been more specific. It was more in reference to dropped calls which I have not had. Phone even holds calls in an elevator so I don't have any signal issues in Vancouver.
    1. Tyronal's Avatar
      Tyronal -
      Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTech View Post
      Clearly it has nothing to do with the network the phone is on..silly
      Clearly you have your head stuck up your asss. The evidence is "clearly" pointing to the US as having the problem. Dropped calls have not been an issue over the globe as it has in the US. AT&T have gotten off scot free here. Their inability to provide a reasonable service signal has been well known but somehow overlooked through the whole antenna gate hysteria. From reading the comments it isn't the pandemic the haters have hoped for. Evidence not hysteria. Just because some experience the problem doesn't make it "clearly" a design flaw. Why isn't EVERYBODY complaining? All the complainants "clearly" want to blame the phone antenna but has anybody questioned the signal strength to begin with? Again, Australia hasn't had the problem, Europe hasn't had the problem and Asia hasn't had a problem. Who do you blame now?
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      I have no issue with the whole death grip thing while I am home in New York. But when I go to Atlanta Georgia the phone has serious reception issues. I pretty much had to have my headset plugged in and the phone sitting on a table for me to make a call and not have it dropped. So I think this issue is more complicated then just one aspect of it being to blame.
    1. fc97accord's Avatar
      fc97accord -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      I have no issue with the whole death grip thing while I am home in New York. But when I go to Atlanta Georgia the phone has serious reception issues. I pretty much had to have my headset plugged in and the phone sitting on a table for me to make a call and not have it dropped. So I think this issue is more complicated then just one aspect of it being to blame.
      I think it is a combination of network and hardware, because two of us who work at the same place had issues when we first got our phones. Then lately the issues have disappeared no more death grip.

      strange I say
    1. Martin510's Avatar
      Martin510 -
      I have a Motorola, Pantec, Samsung, and an iPhone at home. Only the iPhone has a low signal while using it. All others have full bars and never a dropped call in over two years. Love the iPhone but I drop two out of three calls if I hold the bottom half of the phone. I don't loose the calls if I remember to hold it from the top. Only had it one week, so still training myself to hold the top till my free case comes in.
    1. santiagodraco's Avatar
      santiagodraco -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      Evidently its not affecting sales.
      No, the new Android phones are affecting sales. Tonight out of the 10 people I was out with I was the only one with an iPhone 4, 2 had a Samsung Galaxy S and 2 had Droid Xs.

      I'd say Apple has bigger long term problems than Antennagate. That said I'm about to finally return mine. I have call problems constantly with my iPhone 4 that I never had with my 3gs.
    1. The_Durben's Avatar
      The_Durben -
      They only had droid phones cause either they are on a network that doesn't carry iPhones or more likely cause they are all still sold out due to demand. All apple stores in Vancouver have line ups still at 6am daily to get the few they get in.
      But hey, if your not happy with your i4, sell it. You'll make off the deal, you can get your anything but an iPhone phone and be a happy boy.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      100% of iPhone 4 are currently affected by the antenna problem. If you say you don't experience it, your completely BSing or you live near a cell tower and never go anywhere else but stay at home OR your just an epic Apple fanboy who have too much pride for the iPhone to simply admit the flaw. I guarantee if you go somewhere else you will experience signal loss by the death grip. All iPhone 4 are built equal with the exception of memory. BTW I am not bashing the iPhone 4 in anyway because I own one myself and love it even with the antenna flaw.
    1. Tyronal's Avatar
      Tyronal -
      Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
      100% of iPhone 4 are currently affected by the antenna problem. If you say you don't experience it, your completely BSing or you live near a cell tower and never go anywhere else but stay at home OR your just an epic Apple fanboy who have too much pride for the iPhone to simply admit the flaw. I guarantee if you go somewhere else you will experience signal loss by the death grip. All iPhone 4 are built equal with the exception of memory. BTW I am not bashing the iPhone 4 in anyway because I own one myself and love it even with the antenna flaw.
      So you've spoken to all of the millions of iPhone 4 users have you? I don't remember getting a call from you? Hmmm. Troll. I never had a dropped call. Bar drops but not call drop out. I'm here in Australia at the moment and guess what? Not even a murmur of an issue. You sir, are a fool and an epic troll. I guarantee you are a 100% idiot, and I didn't need an iphone 4 to work that out.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
      So you've spoken to all of the millions of iPhone 4 users have you? I don't remember getting a call from you? Hmmm. Troll. I never had a dropped call. Bar drops but not call drop out. I'm here in Australia at the moment and guess what? Not even a murmur of an issue. You sir, are a fool and an epic troll. I guarantee you are a 100% idiot, and I didn't need an iphone 4 to work that out.
      Classic example of how a angry fanboy should reply. You just made all the fanboy happier. Why should I call and speak to a hot tempered ignorant tool like you? You have a problem with people expressing their own opinion?
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Well, as I said earlier, when I first got my 4, I had two dropped calls. One to a landline, one to a 3GS iPhone. After that, not a single one. That's with a case and without a case. My phone, their phone, AT&T, who knows. It's been two months now, so... My older son travels around the country, he's currently doing an art installation in Ohio, he hasn't reported to me that his new i4 is the bunk. In fact, I got a "thanks, dad." So, location? I'd be looking at AT&T a lot more than the phone for service issues (though here near LA I get excellent service (kinda the boonies near the coast, as well as when we go into the big city).

      But, again, ANYONE telling me my phone doesn't work is incorrect (I won't use words like troll or idiot, not polite). You cannot possibly speak to my experience. Can you say, categorically, all iPhones have this problem? No. I guess you can say that all are built similarly. But the proof is in the use. 99% of i4 users seem to have no real issues. The phones are flying out of the stores. There are no lines to replace them. There are few if any reports of this behavior anywhere but the (AT&T) US. Even IN the US the only ones saying this is a big deal are the media (who say ANYTHING without ANY proof- and I'm not just speaking about Fox News, they all seem to go blasting off from their butts at the least provocation) and people like you. Who, I assume, are getting their jollies making it up to see what type of reaction will come. Apple fanboys? No. Just an iPhone user who has had no issues with his phone.

      So, again, please do not tell me I'm an idiot for not knowing I have a malfunctioning phone. You are wrong. I don't appreciate it and I don't respect you for doing so.

      Edit: I notice you are a Windows user.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      Well, as I said earlier, when I first got my 4, I had two dropped calls. One to a landline, one to a 3GS iPhone. After that, not a single one. That's with a case and without a case. My phone, their phone, AT&T, who knows. It's been two months now, so... My older son travels around the country, he's currently doing an art installation in Ohio, he hasn't reported to me that his new i4 is the bunk. In fact, I got a "thanks, dad." So, location? I'd be looking at AT&T a lot more than the phone for service issues (though here near LA I get excellent service (kinda the boonies near the coast, as well as when we go into the big city).

      But, again, ANYONE telling me my phone doesn't work is incorrect (I won't use words like troll or idiot, not polite). You cannot possibly speak to my experience. Can you say, categorically, all iPhones have this problem? No. I guess you can say that all are built similarly. But the proof is in the use. 99% of i4 users seem to have no real issues. The phones are flying out of the stores. There are no lines to replace them. There are few if any reports of this behavior anywhere but the (AT&T) US. Even IN the US the only ones saying this is a big deal are the media (who say ANYTHING without ANY proof- and I'm not just speaking about Fox News, they all seem to go blasting off from their butts at the least provocation) and people like you. Who, I assume, are getting their jollies making it up to see what type of reaction will come. Apple fanboys? No. Just an iPhone user who has had no issues with his phone.

      So, again, please do not tell me I'm an idiot for not knowing I have a malfunctioning phone. You are wrong. I don't appreciate it and I don't respect you for doing so.

      Edit: I notice you are a Windows user.

      Oh great...now I'm getting discriminated for being a windows user. PS I did not resort to idiot or troll in my original post so get the facts straight! And who said your phone doesn't work? Too many flaws in your writing and am too tired to list them all.
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      MY writing has flaws? Please. Your "facts" have flaws. My logic and facts are both cogent and well-presented.
      You are "too tired" to list them? There are no flaws, so let's not pretend here that there are.

      I did not call you an idiot. Get your facts straight.

      I did not call you a troll. Get your facts straight.

      I think you MAY be both, but I'm trying really hard not to say it.

      As to your being a Windows user, I've noticed that when Windows users use iPhones, they may have more issues than Apple users using iPhones. It may be the iTunes/iPhone interface differing from one OS to the other, it may be that Windows users approach iPhones differently (being used to Windows systems), but I don't think I belittled you in any way by noting that you use Windows. Wait, let me go see..... "Edit: I notice you are a Windows user." Nope.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      MY writing has flaws? Please. Your "facts" have flaws. My logic and facts are both cogent and well-presented.
      You are "too tired" to list them? There are no flaws, so let's not pretend here that there are.

      I did not call you an idiot. Get your facts straight.

      I did not call you a troll. Get your facts straight.

      I think you MAY be both, but I'm trying really hard not to say it.

      As to your being a Windows user, I've noticed that when Windows users use iPhones, they may have more issues than Apple users using iPhones. It may be the iTunes/iPhone interface differing from one OS to the other, it may be that Windows users approach iPhones differently (being used to Windows systems), but I don't think I belittled you in any way by noting that you use Windows. Wait, let me go see..... "Edit: I notice you are a Windows user." Nope.
      Read my previous comment clearly before you make clever response like this one.
      "So, again, please do not tell me I'm an idiot for not knowing I have a malfunctioning phone. You are wrong. I don't appreciate it and I don't respect you for doing so."
      Did I ever call you an idiot??? It's your buddy angry fanboy who needed to resort to those words to make people like you happy. Also I do not have any problem using windows with my iPhone. Don't assume that only MACs will work better with the iPhone. You are clearly blinded by apple products.
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      No, YOU did not call me an idiot. You implied that I was an idiot in your previous post, the one that says, and I quote, "If you say you don't experience it, your completely BSing or you live near a cell tower and never go anywhere else but stay at home OR your just an epic Apple fanboy who have too much pride for the iPhone to simply admit the flaw." So you told me I was BSing myself or was a stay at home hermit or an epic fanboy or I have to much pride. Right, but you didn't call me an "idiot."
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      No, YOU did not call me an idiot. You implied that I was an idiot in your previous post, the one that says, and I quote, "If you say you don't experience it, your completely BSing or you live near a cell tower and never go anywhere else but stay at home OR your just an epic Apple fanboy who have too much pride for the iPhone to simply admit the flaw." So you told me I was BSing myself or was a stay at home hermit or an epic fanboy or I have to much pride. Right, but you didn't call me an "idiot."
      Oh you finally you got it right, congratulation! How does BSing and staying at home related to being an idiot?
      You use a MAC (of course) I pray it isn't slow as you are. Please do us all a favor a learn your vocabularies.
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      OK, now you truly are an idiot. You have no answer to the fact of what you said, you have no facts to back up your spurious claims, so you make an ambiguous and asinine response as if that was truly a rejoinder of merit.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      OK, now you truly are an idiot. You have no answer to the fact of what you said, you have no facts to back up your spurious claims, so you make an ambiguous and asinine response as if that was truly a rejoinder of merit.
      Thanks for contradicting your morals, you finally called me an idiot. That's very polite in my opinion.