• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • 'NewsTask' Keeps the Pesky Newsstand "App" Out of the App Switcher


    Most of you that donít use Newsstand have probably used a method of hiding the Newsstand application icon from the home screen. On the other hand, if you use Newsstand, but just donít see a need for it to appear in the App Switcher after youíve closed it, then thereís a new free jailbreak tweak in Cydia for you to try out.

    The tweak is called NewsTask and it was created by iOS developer CFarzaneh. The tweak effectively prevents the Newsstand application icon from appearing in the App Switcher.

    The developer created the tweak because Newsstand is basically like a folder. Folders donít appear in the App Switcher, so thereís no reason for Newsstand, which is basically a folder that houses your magazines and newspapers, to appear in the App Switcher. On the other hand, the tweak doesnít prevent your individual magazines and newspapers from appearing the App Switcher, so you still have access to your Newsstand content in the App Switcher without the "folder" being there.

    The tweak is a nice way to keep unnecessary clutter out of the App Switcher, but itís mainly a perfectionist jailbreak tweak. Most people arenít going to mind much if the Newsstand application icon is in the App Switcher, but at the same time it can get just as annoying as having the application icon on the home screen if you never use it.

    If you want to give NewsTask a try, itís available for free in Cydiaís ModMyi repository. It doesnít have any options to configure.

    Name: NewsTask
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 6
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: CFarzaneh
    Editor's Rating:  3/5
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 'NewsTask' Keeps the Pesky Newsstand "App" Out of the App Switcher started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
    1. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Not really that useful, but thanks!
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      Not really that useful, but thanks!
      It's useful if you have no use for the Newsstand app...
    1. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      It's useful if you have no use for the Newsstand app...
      Why would you have the newsstand open if you don't use it?
    1. H4CK3R's Avatar
      H4CK3R -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      Why would you have the newsstand open if you don't use it?
      Click the icon accidentally (if you're too lazy to hide it lol). It's also helpful if you actually use it since folders shouldn't show up in the task switcher anyways, so it removes it from your app switcher so you don't have to keep removing it from the switcher.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
      Click the icon accidentally (if you're too lazy to hide it lol). It's also helpful if you actually use it since folders shouldn't show up in the task switcher anyways, so it removes it from your app switcher so you don't have to keep removing it from the switcher.
      How many times do you click on it accidentally on a daily basis?
    1. onski's Avatar
      onski -
      Its better to just hide that damn icon if you dont use it at all..
    1. rvance's Avatar
      rvance -
      Quote Originally Posted by onski View Post
      Its better to just hide that damn icon if you dont use it at all..
      I concur....there is a tweak that hides the news stand. Really didn't even have to make this tweak but hey....who am I?!
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by onski View Post
      Its better to just hide that damn icon if you dont use it at all..
      This tweak is for people who USE Newsstand but don't want to have it in App-switcher.
    1. Faresismail's Avatar
      Faresismail -
      Hope im not the only one who thinks this tweak is utterly useless and only for extremely lazy people who cant spare 5 seconds of there lives to open multitask and shut the newsstand folder.
    1. Amadomon's Avatar
      Amadomon -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      This tweak is for people who USE Newsstand but don't want to have it in App-switcher.
      I use Newsstand, but afaik the individual app appears in the switcher, not Newsstand.
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
      Hope im not the only one who thinks this tweak is utterly useless and only for extremely lazy people who cant spare 5 seconds of there lives to open multitask and shut the newsstand folder.
      Going by that logic, one could argue that having a smart phone is for people who are too lazy to get off their ass and go to the computer.
    1. Faresismail's Avatar
      Faresismail -
      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      Going by that logic, one could argue that having a smart phone is for people who are too lazy to get off their ass and go to the computer.
      I have absolutely no idea how u got there! You cannot send a message using your computer nor call someone as for reading article online using a phone is a lot faster. But this tweak doesn't really save time since it takes u less than 5 seconds to double tap the home button and shut down the newsstand folder.
    1. BennyPR's Avatar
      BennyPR -
      No thanks I use springtomize that give me the options to hide any App's

      Thanks

      Benny
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by BennyPR View Post
      No thanks I use springtomize that give me the options to hide any App's

      Thanks

      Benny
      Please read post # 9.

      Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post
      I use Newsstand, but afaik the individual app appears in the switcher, not Newsstand.
      Newsstand WILL appear in the switcher if you tap on it to view your magazines, even if you don't open the magazines.
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
      I have absolutely no idea how u got there! You cannot send a message using your computer nor call someone as for reading article online using a phone is a lot faster. But this tweak doesn't really save time since it takes u less than 5 seconds to double tap the home button and shut down the newsstand folder.
      Well, obviously I was exaggerating. My point is that if someone finds it more convenient then it's not useless. I have personally have no use for this tweak because I have killbackground, (not to mention, I deleted the newsstand from my phone) which will kill all items running in the app switcher with one tap of a button. Sure, I could close each one out individually as it only takes a few seconds but I find it annoying to do so. That's why I have that tweak so I can just kill them all at once and be done. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I feel this feature should be built in anyway.
    1. Amadomon's Avatar
      Amadomon -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Please read post # 9.



      Newsstand WILL appear in the switcher if you tap on it to view your magazines, even if you don't open the magazines.
      Hmm, not for me.