• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Cydia Acquires Rock.app


    It's been a year and a half since Rock Your Phone first made live their Rock.app store for 3rd party iPhone apps. Over the past few months, the folks who own both stores (Jay Freeman and Mario Ciabarra) have been working through a huge deal, which has come to public fruition tonight - Cydia is acquiring Rock. Well, technically, SaurikIT, LLC is acquiring Rock Your Phone, Inc (let's use correct business names here).

    Details of the acquisition have not been made public, but here's what it means to you: Rock.app will essentially dwindle away. There will be a transitional period for the next 10 days where users can purchase/download apps and licenses in Rock. After that, users will use their Cydia Store login to retrieve their purchased apps. The large majority of themes/apps from Rock will be moved over to Cydia (most are already there right now). Rock will have a notice on it's first page, and APT updates will discontinue in the near future (so Rock would be useless even if you had it). I chatted with Mario Ciabarra (CEO and founder of Rock Your Phone) and he had this to say about the acquisition:

    It's been a fun ride. We set out to change the landscape and I think we were very successful. I think we contributed to attracting more business professionals to the iPhone jailbreak community, and added some great functionality to the platform. The current transaction with Cydia is a great opportunity for us. We're going to miss some of the excitement, but no reason for anyone to worry. I, personally, will be spending even more time in Intelliborn apps development (both existing and exciting new projects). A few months ago, Jay and I sat down together and we realized, I enjoyed making apps more (and was better at it), while Jay enjoys providing platform functionality. It was a win-win for both groups and we're excited about the transition.
    Ciabarra, aka psuskeels, has been making jailbreak apps since very early on in the scene (Intelliscreen came out in May of 2008) - just a couple months after Cydia's February 2008 release. And while Intelliborn will still be a big player in the iPhone 3rd party apps scene, Rock will not. All the Intelliborn apps, like MyWi, Tlert, MyProfiles, My3G, Intelliscreen, etc will all remain available and development will be continued on them. They will all be available solely in Cydia now. In fact, this move means a total of over 21,000 iPhone extensions, apps, and themes are now in Cydia which are not available in the Apple AppStore.

    There's been a fierce undercurrent in many communities this past 18 months of "loyalty" to one of the two major jailbreak AppStores, with conversations in high gear lauding one or the other, bringing up this point or that point, etc. Many had both installed, and everyone had a preference. One thing can be said - it was a good run. You can't argue that Cydia isn't a more technically thorough solution, but the user experience of Rock.app was preferred by many. And the numbers are impressive - check these out from the Rock Your Phone news post about the acquisition:
    • Number of Developers with apps listed in the Rock Store: 124 (from 19 countries)
    • Unique iOS devices that installed Rock: 4.6 million (from 220 countries/territories) - Wow that is a lot of places!
    • Registered Rock Users: 2+ million
    • Number of App licenses sold: 500,000
    • Users of who took the plunge and bought something: 280,000 (from 185 countries)
    • Total Rock Your Phone Store revenue (March 12th, 2009 - September 2010): $3.3+ million
    • Number of Rock Employees (we are using the word employee loosely here but, hey, it is our company): 9

    After jailbreaking was officially declared legal in late July, there's been an even larger focus on the jailbreak community, or 3rd party iPhone developers. This acquisition makes Cydia and Cydia Store the clear leader in iPhone 3rd party package management. Exciting times ahead...

    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 474 Comments
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      Please read Saurik's response to why it loads faster.
      no kidding. i cant stand it when you get so many responses of people who dont even read the previous statements
    1. kayvong8's Avatar
      kayvong8 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Forgoten Dynasty View Post
      lol Can you say monopoly? Isn't that what users jailbroke for? So they can truly "think differently". Don't get me wrong I love cydia and I fully understand the concept of "If you don't like it create your own". I just find it slightly ironic.


      Alwelt Congrats saruik and thanks for for everything you do (and continue to do) to contribute to the community.


      EDIT: BTW does this mean I can finally get rid of all those crappy rock extensions?
      Lol.

      Installer and icy are like the Linux of 3rd party uploaders/downloaders. microsofts not even in it ( I suppose they're roles played by nokia) rock is android market ( valiant effort) and cydia is our apple... Spooky mirror lol jk
    1. saurik's Avatar
      saurik -
      Quote Originally Posted by MadMan29729 View Post
      so will cydia be getting rock apps

      1. minimize on confirm? (install while still browsing for apps)
      2. check for updates like rock app (even when closed)
      3. soft reboot upon exit rather than immediately?
      1) This is not safe, as installations sometimes do drastic modifications to the system. It really needs to not be possible to task switch while an installation is occurring. Cydia is not the App Store: there are no safe little boxes with guaranteed use cases that are drawn around the packages it installs.

      2) I really want to add this, but I got a nearly unanimous response from users outside of the US that this was "evil" as it would cost them money while they were sleeping, and the power users complained that it cost memory and battery power. I am intending to approach the subject again and look into making it a configuration option.

      3) This is not possible. I realize Rock does it, and it even seems to work, but it really does not. There are some horrible corner cases that come up when you have an incoming phone call that cause the entire phone to kernel panic if you try to do this. Cydia actually /used/ to do this, for like a year or so when it first came out, and I had to change it due to the issues it caused.
    1. hellzblade's Avatar
      hellzblade -
      sounds like this should be interesting. personally i prefer rock but loved using cydia before, congrats to all involved.
    1. PhilippeLabat's Avatar
      PhilippeLabat -
      Quote Originally Posted by MadMan29729 View Post
      so will cydia be getting rock apps

      1. minimize on confirm? (install while still browsing for apps)
      2. check for updates like rock app (even when closed)
      3. soft reboot upon exit rather than immediately?
      All those process are why Cydia is better than ROCK... They cause packages malfunctions and errors when you are using them. Cydia is from far the best installer out there, it only need a new fresh design :P
    1. MadMan29729's Avatar
      MadMan29729 -
      Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
      1) This is not safe, as installations sometimes do drastic modifications to the system. It really needs to not be possible to task switch while an installation is occurring. Cydia is not the App Store: there are no safe little boxes with guaranteed use cases that are drawn around the packages it installs.

      2) I really want to add this, but I got a nearly unanimous response from users outside of the US that this was "evil" as it would cost them money while they were sleeping, and the power users complained that it cost memory and battery power. I am intending to approach the subject again and look into making it a configuration option.

      3) This is not possible. I realize Rock does it, and it even seems to work, but it really does not. There are some horrible corner cases that come up when you have an incoming phone call that cause the entire phone to kernel panic if you try to do this. Cydia actually /used/ to do this, for like a year or so when it first came out, and I had to change it due to the issues it caused.
      couldn't you make it like the app store where it checks automatically on say respring or power up? and check every hour or daily or whatever? that wouldn't be to bad on the battery! would it?

      and have the option to enable/disable in cydia settings
    1. floppy_joe's Avatar
      floppy_joe -
      @ saurik

      I have no idea what an shsh or a blob is but thanks for saving my blob.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MadMan29729 View Post
      couldn't you make it like the app store where it checks automatically on say respring or power up? and check every hour or daily or whatever? that wouldn't be to bad on the battery! would it?

      and have the option to enable/disable in cydia settings
      He just said he was thinking about looking at it as an option to turn off and on. And he listed the reasons why he hasn't yet did that.
    1. kayvong8's Avatar
      kayvong8 -
      Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
      a) Did per page wallpapers break? I will look into it. I did not know this.
      b) There are already numerous themes for the iPhone 4's retina display: WinterBoard (as opposed to SummerBoard, which many themes are designed for) should have no limitations in what it can theme.
      c) I am not in control of the speed of HTML.
      Winterboard has never shown theme wallpapers for me. When I download individual wallpapers from cydia, they don't even appear in winterboard.

      You are my brains idol by the way. Maaaad respect.

      Cydia and winterboard just don't seem to feel like they have made a home in iPhone 4. It feels like you are running something from your older phone in the form of lacking in all the new luster of the device and Rocks portrayal of Cleaner for Iphone4.

      FYI, I live and die by cydia, it's just my input that the lack of updates may be causing the hardcore cydia fans, myself included, with iPhone 4s to feel like it's not quite insync.

      I KNOW U R ENDLESSLY working on it, so I'm not asking or expecting anything more. Just saying. Sir.
    1. PhilippeLabat's Avatar
      PhilippeLabat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      He just said he was thinking about looking at it as an option to turn off and on. And he listed the reasons why he hasn't yet did that.
      Plus, we dont want our iDevices to run like windows... Always lagging because it check for update every second!

      Quote Originally Posted by kayvong8 View Post
      Winterboard has never shown theme wallpapers for me. When I download individual wallpapers from cydia, they don't even appear in winterboard.

      You are my brains idol by the way. Maaaad respect.

      Cydia and winterboard just don't seem to feel like they have made a home in iPhone 4. It feels like you are running something from your older phone in the form of lacking in all the new luster of the device and Rocks portrayal of Cleaner for Iphone4.

      FYI, I live and die by cydia, it's just my input that the lack of updates may be causing the hardcore cydia fans, myself included, with iPhone 4s to feel like it's not quite insync.

      I KNOW U R ENDLESSLY working on it, so I'm not asking or expecting anything more. Just saying. Sir.
      Lets not forget that the team is working their *** off to give us jailbreak ASAP... If that mean less update, im ready to wait! I rather have a working jailbreak that a "100% working version" of everything that is on the Cydia Store
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      as much as i have liked the different apps Rock initially provided. Cydias acquisition of Rock is the right move.

      Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
      @ saurik

      I have no idea what an shsh or a blob is but thanks for saving my blob.
      1,431 posts and no idea what an SHSH or a "blob" is
    1. Raaj FX was banned's Avatar
      Raaj FX was banned -
      Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
      as much as i have liked the different apps Rock initially provided. Cydias acquisition of Rock is the right move.



      1,431 posts and no idea what an SHSH or a "blob" is
      thats floppy for ya...
    1. Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
      Bluemoldycheeze88 -
      Rock sucks... Cydia FTW
    1. VBLUE42's Avatar
      VBLUE42 -
      Quote Originally Posted by J Sweeney View Post
      Will Cydia have features that Rock had such as backups, really fast loading and a better UI
      Yeah this is the biggest concern for me. I was forced to restore yesterday and was not able to get 4.01 reinstalled. iTunes 10 kept stalling the install at about 70%. I had to install 4.1 to get my phone back until the 4.1 jailbreak is released but all my app backups are in Rock. If I cant access those backups I will not be able to remember everything I had.

      Edit: Never mind. Just saw this from Saurik.

      Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
      Rock's backup feature will be coming to Cydia. Rock only had faster loading because it did not honor APT correctly, so there were numerous buggy situations where you got screwed: there was even a recent time when Rock was screwing up an installation so core that everyone had to restore... Rock's speed was just because it was sloppy.
    1. dscottjr81's Avatar
      dscottjr81 -
      Quote Originally Posted by J Sweeney View Post
      Will Cydia have features that Rock had such as backups, really fast loading and a better UI
      Same here
    1. Ikemann888's Avatar
      Ikemann888 -
      Cydia is growing bigger & bigger...
    1. Kaid's Avatar
      Kaid -
      Its interesting guys .... sounds like Cydia is 'big business' too but of course nowhere near as Apple....

      I think the Dev rules relaxation are just the beginning Apple are on their way for more ani-trust challenges in the same way that microsoft were for not allowing competitor software or bundled IE with Windows.
    1. Silellak's Avatar
      Silellak -
      Out of curiosity, how will Rock purchases (app/licenses/etc.) transfer over to Cydia? Will Rock ID's vanish entirely, or will they somehow get rolled into Cydia?
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      Quote Originally Posted by ArDottCeeDuble View Post
      thats floppy for ya...
      thanks.im pretty sure he was jus a kiddin seems like a faker account anyways
    1. VBLUE42's Avatar
      VBLUE42 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dscottjr81 View Post
      Same here
      Read my edit above yours.