• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Cydia Acquires Rock.app


    It's been a year and a half since Rock Your Phone first made live their Rock.app store for 3rd party iPhone apps. Over the past few months, the folks who own both stores (Jay Freeman and Mario Ciabarra) have been working through a huge deal, which has come to public fruition tonight - Cydia is acquiring Rock. Well, technically, SaurikIT, LLC is acquiring Rock Your Phone, Inc (let's use correct business names here).

    Details of the acquisition have not been made public, but here's what it means to you: Rock.app will essentially dwindle away. There will be a transitional period for the next 10 days where users can purchase/download apps and licenses in Rock. After that, users will use their Cydia Store login to retrieve their purchased apps. The large majority of themes/apps from Rock will be moved over to Cydia (most are already there right now). Rock will have a notice on it's first page, and APT updates will discontinue in the near future (so Rock would be useless even if you had it). I chatted with Mario Ciabarra (CEO and founder of Rock Your Phone) and he had this to say about the acquisition:

    It's been a fun ride. We set out to change the landscape and I think we were very successful. I think we contributed to attracting more business professionals to the iPhone jailbreak community, and added some great functionality to the platform. The current transaction with Cydia is a great opportunity for us. We're going to miss some of the excitement, but no reason for anyone to worry. I, personally, will be spending even more time in Intelliborn apps development (both existing and exciting new projects). A few months ago, Jay and I sat down together and we realized, I enjoyed making apps more (and was better at it), while Jay enjoys providing platform functionality. It was a win-win for both groups and we're excited about the transition.
    Ciabarra, aka psuskeels, has been making jailbreak apps since very early on in the scene (Intelliscreen came out in May of 2008) - just a couple months after Cydia's February 2008 release. And while Intelliborn will still be a big player in the iPhone 3rd party apps scene, Rock will not. All the Intelliborn apps, like MyWi, Tlert, MyProfiles, My3G, Intelliscreen, etc will all remain available and development will be continued on them. They will all be available solely in Cydia now. In fact, this move means a total of over 21,000 iPhone extensions, apps, and themes are now in Cydia which are not available in the Apple AppStore.

    There's been a fierce undercurrent in many communities this past 18 months of "loyalty" to one of the two major jailbreak AppStores, with conversations in high gear lauding one or the other, bringing up this point or that point, etc. Many had both installed, and everyone had a preference. One thing can be said - it was a good run. You can't argue that Cydia isn't a more technically thorough solution, but the user experience of Rock.app was preferred by many. And the numbers are impressive - check these out from the Rock Your Phone news post about the acquisition:
    • Number of Developers with apps listed in the Rock Store: 124 (from 19 countries)
    • Unique iOS devices that installed Rock: 4.6 million (from 220 countries/territories) - Wow that is a lot of places!
    • Registered Rock Users: 2+ million
    • Number of App licenses sold: 500,000
    • Users of who took the plunge and bought something: 280,000 (from 185 countries)
    • Total Rock Your Phone Store revenue (March 12th, 2009 - September 2010): $3.3+ million
    • Number of Rock Employees (we are using the word employee loosely here but, hey, it is our company): 9

    After jailbreaking was officially declared legal in late July, there's been an even larger focus on the jailbreak community, or 3rd party iPhone developers. This acquisition makes Cydia and Cydia Store the clear leader in iPhone 3rd party package management. Exciting times ahead...

    This article was originally published in forum thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 474 Comments
    1. Crucias's Avatar
      Crucias -
      Personally im disappointed. I swapped to Rock App because Cydia was so slow. Rock did screw my phone once, but i don't mind restoring, i can do it overnight.

      Here's hoping Cydia will speed up some (well drastically actually)
    1. robertr1's Avatar
      robertr1 -
      Apparently people don't read the first page anymore to see this... Saurik already said the backup feature and other updates will be coming to cydia. I just don't understand why people can't scroll down and read instead of posting that they don't like this because cydia won't have the backup feature or barely gets updated.

      Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
      Actually, the Cydia bootstrap that came with the iPhone 4 jailbreak contained an iPhone 4 Retina icon. Here is a screenshot from the the day jailbreak launched:

      http://modmyi.com/images/jbip4.jpg

      If you do not have that icon it is bceause comex's jailbreak got broken at some point and he stopped installing it. This will be fixed in the next Cydia update (I've been avoiding updates to the ecosystem while we finish working out this merging of interests, so chpwn has had time to start helping with the Cydia codebase, which is awesome).



      Rock's backup feature will be coming to Cydia. Rock only had faster loading because it did not honor APT correctly, so there were numerous buggy situations where you got screwed: there was even a recent time when Rock was screwing up an installation so core that everyone had to restore... Rock's speed was just because it was sloppy.
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      This is awesome news. The jailbreak community is growing so much stronger and so much faster nowadays. I can't wait for what's ahead. These are exciting times for Jailbreakers!
    1. cara_marie0303's Avatar
      cara_marie0303 -
      Anyone? Help? What's going on with not being able to view or download any apps from the modmyi source? Every other source is working fine..
    1. Phil_ellis's Avatar
      Phil_ellis -
      Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
      Read the posts! I already answered this.
      Sorry mate it might work for mywi but the licence for I blacklist on cydia is downloaded separately only trial available on cydia . No option for full version even tried activating directly from iblacklist .anyone else have any ideas I wonder how much luck I would have contacting iblacklist support for a licence .
    1. delizaza23's Avatar
      delizaza23 -
      I have tried both and I can confirm both are corrupt. They need to get a better and easer interface. I was searching some apps and I went in to app clicked screenshot but mistakenly clicked on one of the none sense adds, I could not figure it out how to come of it. I had to close and reopen cydia
    1. ttrtilley's Avatar
      ttrtilley -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluemetal View Post
      We are at the point where Cydia Store really should seperate the trash from the quality.
      That's why ratings and reviews are needed
    1. TCcentex's Avatar
      TCcentex -
      For everyone with concerns about the MMi repo (probably the largest submitting repo to cydia) and specific app licenses, this is most likely because we're smack-dab in the transition period. The original posts stated that the transition would take about 10 days, so like most changes in jailbreak land, patience will be required while the powers-that-be make all the necessary changes. Saurik's never let us down and I'm sure he planned well on advance to handle all these issues.
    1. reanimationxp's Avatar
      reanimationxp -
      Saurik, I too have emailed, tweeted, everything you many times and have never gotten a response other than a LONG time ago when you allowed direct messaging via Twitter. Now even that's gone.

      Before I begin, let me start by saying I love Cydia, better than Rock by far, and the work done on it was tremendous.. but the lack of updates is more than disappointing, and Rock has shown us what can be done. I may sound cynical in these posts, but I'm trying to relay some of the frustration using Cydia, and what needs to be improved now that it's the sole tool we will be using for 3rd party app installation.

      In order for Cydia to be the tool it should be, a few things need to be changed:

      1. Allow the enabling/disabling of sources without removing them. Sometimes we like having a source around, but don't want it cluttering up everything. Other times, we just want to refresh specific sources. This is not hard.

      2. Better queue management. I should be able to remove one item from the queue without deleting the entire queue. This also is not hard.

      3. IOS4 fixes. The red dots below Changes that says the number of updates doesn't even appear on IOS4. The "Q'd" red dot doesn't appear when a queue is present either.

      4. Force options. I have installed or uninstalled more than one package that have conflicting prerequisites. I should be able to force install or force uninstall any package I want despite the requirements of the package. The potential for problems is there, but people who jailbreak and then actually use this feature usually know what they're doing. It's not your responsibility to prevent me from screwing up my phone anymore than it's Steve's responsibility to keep my impressionable eyes away from porn.

      5. Continue installing after an error. Enough said. If Cydia can't download each and every package without something going wrong, my entire damn queue is lost and I have to recreate it, hoping Cydia doesn't crash along the way.. and that I left out whatever package was 'bad'. Download and then install each package individually if you have to, but don't wipe my whole queue.

      6. Themes and apps need to be separated. Separate change queues, and separate info viewers. I can't stand having to click a theme based on its' name, wait for that page to load, find out where THIS particular repo has placed their screenshots or more info link, click that, wait for that to load.. it's crap. I should be able to pick a category (Springboard, SBSettings, etc) and flick through a bunch of theme screenshots and stop on the one I like.

      Last but not least..

      7. ADD THE ABILITY TO WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN, or reinstall Cydia. I can't tell you how many times I've had to figure out obscure pkgd commands because some damn package gets stuck while installing and corrupts everything I try to install, or manually delete some .list files because I typed in a bad repo url. There really is no recovering from some Cydia problems, and this needs to be addressed. Restoring should not be required to wipe out Cydia and APT. Just give me a nuke button (or even some complete removal instructions) and I'll re-jailbreak if that's what it takes.
    1. DHowett's Avatar
      DHowett -
      [scrubbed because I wasn't being very nice sorry]

      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      1. Allow the enabling/disabling of sources without removing them. Sometimes we like having a source around, but don't want it cluttering up everything. Other times, we just want to refresh specific sources. This is not hard.
      I honestly don't use that many sources, so I can't really provide too much insight here here. Why'd you add the source if you don't want it all the time? Either way, adding/removing or enabling/disabling has to trigger an event that causes sources to be refreshed, so there's no time gain in selectively deactivating certain sources.

      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      2. Better queue management. I should be able to remove one item from the queue without deleting the entire queue. This also is not hard.
      It's a little more in-depth than you think. The main problem comes from the fact that it's not really a queue at all. It isn't so much a set of steps as it is a set of differences between your current status and the desired/projected final status. Research has been done into how aptitude clears package state, so that you can have your precious queue editing. It's boring drudgework, but somebody's been doing it.

      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      3. IOS4 fixes. The red dots below Changes that says the number of updates doesn't even appear on IOS4. The "Q'd" red dot doesn't appear when a queue is present either.
      Being worked on, by chpwn.

      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      4. Force options. I have installed or uninstalled more than one package that have conflicting prerequisites. I should be able to force install or force uninstall any package I want despite the requirements of the package. The potential for problems is there, but people who jailbreak and then actually use this feature usually know what they're doing. It's not your responsibility to prevent me from screwing up my phone anymore than it's Steve's responsibility to keep my impressionable eyes away from porn.
      You can do this with dpkg - Cydia should not have to assist you in sawing off both of your own legs, and the developers are the people who have to clean up your blood. Every person thinks he is a power user, and given actual power, can make things far far worse than he would have normally - These people have nobody to complain to but themselves, but they don't really care, they complain to developers because they can. We don't want that.

      That said, anybody who actually is a power user should know enough to muck around with dpkg, and make this all a moot point. Power users don't /need/ their hands held.

      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      5. Continue installing after an error. Enough said. If Cydia can't download each and every package without something going wrong, my entire damn queue is lost and I have to recreate it, hoping Cydia doesn't crash along the way.. and that I left out whatever package was 'bad'. Download and then install each package individually if you have to, but don't wipe my whole queue.
      Agreed.

      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      6. Themes and apps need to be separated. Separate change queues, and separate info viewers. I can't stand having to click a theme based on its' name, wait for that page to load, find out where THIS particular repo has placed their screenshots or more info link, click that, wait for that to load.. it's crap. I should be able to pick a category (Springboard, SBSettings, etc) and flick through a bunch of theme screenshots and stop on the one I like.
      Eh, agreed, but I'm not much of a themer.

      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      7. ADD THE ABILITY TO WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN, or reinstall Cydia. I can't tell you how many times I've had to figure out obscure pkgd commands because some damn package gets stuck while installing and corrupts everything I try to install, or manually delete some .list files because I typed in a bad repo url. There really is no recovering from some Cydia problems, and this needs to be addressed. Restoring should not be required to wipe out Cydia and APT. Just give me a nuke button (or even some complete removal instructions) and I'll re-jailbreak if that's what it takes.
      You really said that one yourself - just rejailbreak. It's bound to be a lot cleaner than a "complete removal" based on possibly-broken data :-/.
    1. NetMage's Avatar
      NetMage -
      I have always used Cydia and MMi as an end user and developer, but have been very disappointed in the lack of Cydia updates. How long has Cydia not updated it's badge after installation of a Respring app?
    1. zausser's Avatar
      zausser -
      Toyvan has said just about everything I could think of.

      I've been a big supporter of both Cydia and Rock.

      I've had issues with both as well. So from my user view. They are both great tools.

      Oh. Jay... If you read this Winterboard needs an update to map the @2x images in UI. Just stating this once again.

      Really will miss the rock Dev Portal. Now at least I'm in the blind on Cydia as a Dev.

      Looking forward to the changes coming to Cydia by Jay and his staff.

      Wish you all well at Rock! Thanks for the ride.
    1. NetMage's Avatar
      NetMage -
      No gain?

      You leave a slow repository disabled and enable it once a month. Every other time you open Cydia it is faster to refresh, which is pretty slow at best. Simple concept, no?
    1. Trist06's Avatar
      Trist06 -
      NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, does this mean I'm going to be wasting time staring at a "loading data" screen?!?!?!?

      Ps. I have a iPhone 3g
    1. Ovithefatcat's Avatar
      Ovithefatcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by garbs View Post
      I don't use Rock, but this is kind of disappointing. Competition is a good thing, and saurik hasn't exactly been speedy with the updates lately as it is. We still don't even have a Cydia icon that's made for the retina display...
      ok WTF r u talking about if you jailbroke your iPhone 4 you should have that icon for the retina




      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
      iNT3Rv3NTiONZz -
      Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
      Saurik, I too have emailed, tweeted, everything you many times and have never gotten a response other than a LONG time ago when you allowed direct messaging via Twitter. Now even that's gone.

      Before I begin, let me start by saying I love Cydia, better than Rock by far, and the work done on it was tremendous.. but the lack of updates is more than disappointing, and Rock has shown us what can be done. I may sound cynical in these posts, but I'm trying to relay some of the frustration using Cydia, and what needs to be improved now that it's the sole tool we will be using for 3rd party app installation.

      In order for Cydia to be the tool it should be, a few things need to be changed:

      1. Allow the enabling/disabling of sources without removing them. Sometimes we like having a source around, but don't want it cluttering up everything. Other times, we just want to refresh specific sources. This is not hard.

      2. Better queue management. I should be able to remove one item from the queue without deleting the entire queue. This also is not hard.

      3. IOS4 fixes. The red dots below Changes that says the number of updates doesn't even appear on IOS4. The "Q'd" red dot doesn't appear when a queue is present either.

      4. Force options. I have installed or uninstalled more than one package that have conflicting prerequisites. I should be able to force install or force uninstall any package I want despite the requirements of the package. The potential for problems is there, but people who jailbreak and then actually use this feature usually know what they're doing. It's not your responsibility to prevent me from screwing up my phone anymore than it's Steve's responsibility to keep my impressionable eyes away from porn.

      5. Continue installing after an error. Enough said. If Cydia can't download each and every package without something going wrong, my entire damn queue is lost and I have to recreate it, hoping Cydia doesn't crash along the way.. and that I left out whatever package was 'bad'. Download and then install each package individually if you have to, but don't wipe my whole queue.

      6. Themes and apps need to be separated. Separate change queues, and separate info viewers. I can't stand having to click a theme based on its' name, wait for that page to load, find out where THIS particular repo has placed their screenshots or more info link, click that, wait for that to load.. it's crap. I should be able to pick a category (Springboard, SBSettings, etc) and flick through a bunch of theme screenshots and stop on the one I like.

      Last but not least..

      7. ADD THE ABILITY TO WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN, or reinstall Cydia. I can't tell you how many times I've had to figure out obscure pkgd commands because some damn package gets stuck while installing and corrupts everything I try to install, or manually delete some .list files because I typed in a bad repo url. There really is no recovering from some Cydia problems, and this needs to be addressed. Restoring should not be required to wipe out Cydia and APT. Just give me a nuke button (or even some complete removal instructions) and I'll re-jailbreak if that's what it takes.
      I second everything this man says, come on Saurik, we understand you have a busy life but cydia does need a refresh. We don't want it to be sloppy like rock, I would rather stick to obeying APT and cydia being that lil bit slower so my packages are safe rather than doing a rock and take shortcuts. But we all know at least some of these changes can be implemented
    1. saurik's Avatar
      saurik -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      How about how rock keeps track of my already purchased license so I don't have to deal with contacting the maker to get it moved to another phone. This is a must have.
      Click Purchase, log in. This feature of Cydia that has existed since day one works identically to the App Store, and identically to the App Store (and unlike Rock) Cydia's default mode of interaction is that all of your device can use the App, and not just one at a time. Not only should you never need to contact the developer to "move" your license, they generally have no control over that anyway.

      Quote Originally Posted by nickab View Post
      I only ever used Rock to purchase applications because I liked that I didn't have to do anything special to backup those purchases. Does this acquisition mean I'm going to have to repurchase my apps like MyWi, My3G, and Tlert? If not, do I have to do anything to back them up? Currently they're associated with my Rock.app login. If I lose my licenses because of this I am going to abandon my jailbreak and update to 4.1 and never look to the jailbreak community again. I appreciate the hard work that goes into it, but when you start charging money for the services you provide you need to back it up with customer service and user-friendliness. We're all Apple users after all! LOL.
      This is actually the reason you wanted to be using Cydia and not Rock... purchases, ever since day one, are tied to your account, not to your device. Just like the App Store, you click Purchase, you log in, and you get your purchase. You do not need to "transfer your license to your new device" like you have to in Rock. In no way, in fact, is your device attached to the purchases that you make (although for the special case of Intelliborn products that may not be the case, as Intelliborn wants you to have to buy multiple copies of their apps for your multiple devices just like you used to have to in Rock).

      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      Blaming cydia for a repo not loading right is like blaming safari for someones website going down.

      Errors in repos have nothing to do with cydia. It has yo do with the server the repo is hosted on.

      On an other note, when jay says rock is buggy, he is not saying everyone will have issues. Have you ever looked at change logs for apps? About 95% of the time they say "various bug fixes". Probably 90 percent the time I had Never experienced bugs, but mostlikely woild experience them if they weren't fixed.
      And yet some bugs are 100% deterministic, like the ones in Rock. Rock's approach to this was to start filtering packages from the catalog rather than fixing the bugs in their app (which would have been really really hard and would likely have made it just as slow as Cydia), so the only reason users may not have been seen issues is because Rock used their central control over the package ecosystem (which is something I am philosophically opposed to) to hide updates their app couldn't process from their users.

      Quote Originally Posted by ne0nlitez View Post
      i know this kinda sucks, no competition. saurik still hasnt updated winterboard, hes so slow with updates. and now hes not rushed what so ever with cydia. :(
      I want to be very clear about something: when there's competition, I shut down, and I think most smart people do. Did anyone else notice that when Icy died there was suddenly an uptick in the number of Cydia releases? I absolutely hate working on a project when a) logging on to random web forums just has me reading about a bunch of people who are whining about how ugly my software is (without any concrete suggestions at all, and the few concrete suggestions being provided being for repository package detail packages that I have absolutely no control over, or the black screen of doom that is currently serving an important purpose until it is rewritten) and b) knowing that there is someone else out there who thinks they can do my job better than me.

      And seriously: WinterBoard works, and there are a ton of iPhone 4 themes that use it. If you think it doesn't work you are probably making SummerBoard themes, and I've never claimed those are something you should do, and my documentation for WinterBoard has always explained how to use Bundles to do that work correctly. There are (maybe) a few bugs in wallpapers that people are bringing up to me here, but I am actually totally and completely surprised that people are trying to use WinterBoard to apply wallpapers now that iOS 4 supports wallpapers natively... like, I almost released an upgrade to WinterBoard to completely remove wallpapers when iOS 4 came out... why is WinterBoard's iOS 4 wallpaper support somehow an issue?

      Quote Originally Posted by Sonofevil77 View Post
      This is crap ugh. What are te chances we can make cydia look and perform just like Rock? Sort by release date and speed and everything.
      While I hope "very high" (because there are probably some really epic tricks that we can use to improve the performance of APT), I will not ever under any circumstance make Cydia fast at the expense of making it install things incorrectly.

      (You can sort by release date by clicking Changes.)
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Jay. There are themes that work just fine, but what we keep saying has to deal with theming ui elements. From the sound of what your saying, theming ui elements through the "uiimages" directory is a summerboard method and we should expect to not see any updates to beable to use hi res images for ui
    1. saurik's Avatar
      saurik -
      Quote Originally Posted by razorfrog View Post
      Glad to see MyWi transferred, but what about "FastSnap"?
      The product "FastSnap" is not currently available in Cydia at all. If at some point it is (and it likely will be, despite this product's developers causing serious support issues for the Store, almost entirely for purposes of license transfers for users like you) then you will be able to install it.

      Quote Originally Posted by ethd View Post
      I'm sorry, but your point #1 sucks. The default repos work fine for now but there have been times where one repo doesn't load and it makes Cydia take even longer to load. The repos are not rock-solid all the time. I'm not going to argue that Rock is better with its "don't let the user know really" approach but at least it doesn't increase load times ridiculously.
      While Cydia (really APT, which has the same issue) should not have this bug, and I really do apologize for it, the way Rock solved this was by having a single centralized point of failure for all packages in a default repository, and they used this control to hide and filter packages that they didn't want users to see, such as ones that their installer had bugs trying to install. I consider avoiding this kind of centralized control to be part of the reason we jailbroke our phones in the first place. :(

      Quote Originally Posted by Jmataska View Post
      Aight, I've read every post on this thread for the last hour (Its addicting lol). And I know that licenses will be transferred to Cydia from Rock. My question is this: Within the last two weeks, my old 3G quit working and I grabbed an iPhone 4. My 3G was jailbroken and had my favorite app ever, MyWi 4.0. When a jailbreak does come out for iOS 4.1, will my license for MyWi carry over or will I have to purchase it once again, since I am on a different phone? Keep in mind that Im not anal or upset, it does not bother me to buy it again, that app freaking rocks! Just curious as to if I needed to do anything particular when I am able to jalbreak again. Thanks in advance.
      The way this has always worked in Cydia is that purchases are tied to users, not devices. Whether Intelliborn chooses to enforce a special "separate purchase per device" rule is still in the air (I am against it, and generally do not tolerate this from developers, but had to make a concession for this deal specifically to Intelliborn), as long as you aren't using it on your old device you still won't have to purchase it twice.

      Quote Originally Posted by JayQuint87 View Post
      Exactly.

      Sauik, My theme/themes has been in the Cydia approval process for 36days. Rock got it done in 5.
      This depends on the repository: themes submitted to MacCiti are typically approved within 12 hours.

      Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
      You bought something that was "Sloppy" ... That isn't a good business plan. Or could it be that Rock was only going to get better? Its not bad business to say that your competition was getting to big and you wanted to buy them out.

      I think this was a good move but don't bash the product that you just bought.

      I hope that The Rock crew does keeps developing apps, they have make some of the best.
      During my first meeting with them I made an argument for "correctness first, performance second", and was laughed at. For this reason, I actually set up the deal so that I took everything /but/ the software from their company.

      Quote Originally Posted by Snide View Post
      I have the same problem. I purchased several apps from Cydia for my 3GS and there's no record of such.
      Please log in with the account you used to purchase the product. A common confusion people will have is that they will log in with a Facebook account, then purchase the product using PayPal. Later, they will go "ok, my PayPal account is [email protected], so I will log in with my Google account", which means you don't get to see your old purchases. You seriously never need to contact anyone to download your stuff again on a different device.

      Quote Originally Posted by JoeStorm View Post
      I don't care about startup time. What slowness I hate with Cydia is the slow slow slow ad load times. And not only slow ads but HUGE ads. So I have to wait for the huge slow ads to finish loading then I have to scroll and then figure out which option shows the screenshots then I have to wait for the screenshots to load.
      I do not run giant ads in Cydia. In fact, there are only four places in the entire Cydia interface (and this includes all of the packages I host, counting every place individually) where I run an ad that isn't a simple link to a package. Ads you find in Cydia are run by the repository owner and I have no control over the content of those pages. Are those ads huge? Yes. Do I hate those ads? Yes. Were those ads in Rock? AFAIK Rock also displayed the same repository-provided pages that I do.

      Quote Originally Posted by JoeStorm View Post
      As for reducing the ungodly number of scrappy "wallpaper + 3 icons" themes that show up every day, sure those can be edited. But the font used in the list is too big so the listings are (Themes (pog...) Themes (Sys...), Themes (Loc...) and so on. Plus there doesn't seem to be segregation between the ****** wallpaper+3 icons and the high quality professional themes.
      Did you change the default font on your device? I do not have this issue: on my screen there is only a single section that has a cut off name, and that's "App Addons (Iconoclasm)". That said, I will probably make the font on this page smaller.

      Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
      ADS:
      These ads are not run by me, I have no control over them, and they also should have been rendered in Rock.

      Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
      Not complaining about the ads -- saurik works his tail off and should take any means possible to generate more revenue to allow for continued improvements and earn as much income which he is more than entitled to. Was just answering your question.
      Nor, to be clear, do I now or have I ever gotten any money from these advertisements. I do not pay repositories to do the work of tending to hundreds of developers needs, nor do they pay me to be included in Cydia. The ecosystem that I joined, which was created by the guy who wrote Installer, was that repositories are paid by running their own advertisements, and that's the ecosystem we are still living in.

      Quote Originally Posted by Crucias View Post
      Personally im disappointed. I swapped to Rock App because Cydia was so slow. Rock did screw my phone once, but i don't mind restoring, i can do it overnight.

      Here's hoping Cydia will speed up some (well drastically actually)
      Unfortunately, for many users restoring their phone is a very painful and difficult process. Together with BigBoss (who is a stickler for this sort of thing) I am willing to accept any tradeoff to keep people's phones from getting into a state where they try calling me in the middle of the night (the number on my website is my cell phone number, which is now useless: my friends can't even call me anymore) claiming it is "bricked".

      Quote Originally Posted by Patato22 View Post
      Agree cydia never upgrade ****. The home page is the same. Yeah they change it 2 day ago but the featured theme & app are the sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lOl
      No one in the community is willing to help me with the Featured Applications page, and the Featured Themes section is, as far as I'm concerned, under control of the repositories. I had to hound the default repositories to get me a list of such themes in the first place, and they have never bothered sending me updates. Meanwhile, the Cydia Products page has purposely not been updated during these negotiations with Rock, but will be completely revamped by the end of this transition period.

      Quote Originally Posted by Phil_ellis View Post
      Sorry mate it might work for mywi but the licence for I blacklist on cydia is downloaded separately only trial available on cydia . No option for full version even tried activating directly from iblacklist .anyone else have any ideas I wonder how much luck I would have contacting iblacklist support for a licence .
      I believe the idea is that we are going to work on getting iBlacklist to sell their application within Cydia, which will let the licenses transfer.

      Quote Originally Posted by delizaza23 View Post
      I have tried both and I can confirm both are corrupt. They need to get a better and easer interface. I was searching some apps and I went in to app clicked screenshot but mistakenly clicked on one of the none sense adds, I could not figure it out how to come of it. I had to close and reopen cydia
      I do not run these advertisements of which you speak. If you believe that the advertisement is an example of click fraud, I encourage you to report it to the advertisement company and get that repository's advertising account shut down. It is a crying shame that some repositories (which shall remain nameless) seem to be attempting to even move advertisements underneath people's fingers as they scroll, and if more people try to report them they will likely get reprimanded.

      Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
      For everyone with concerns about the MMi repo (probably the largest submitting repo to cydia) and specific app licenses, this is most likely because we're smack-dab in the transition period. The original posts stated that the transition would take about 10 days, so like most changes in jailbreak land, patience will be required while the powers-that-be make all the necessary changes. Saurik's never let us down and I'm sure he planned well on advance to handle all these issues.
      This is correct: The reason for the transition period is that not all of the packages in Rock are even in Cydia, so I actually asked for Rock Your Phone to stay online until such time as this could be handled.

      Quote Originally Posted by Kolder View Post
      Maybe I'm in the minority but I always experienced far more bugs and errors in Cydia than I ever did with rock. I'll miss the UI of rock the most.
      The errors that everyone sees and reports in Cydia are errors in upstream repositories, which Cydia contacts directly (as I believe that if I have centralized control over the content in them I am no better than Apple). Meanwhile, the bugs in Cydia are some weird instabilities that I've never managed to track down (but have seriously drastically improved over time) in the webviews; these instabilities, though, have never caused an installation to fail in such a way that you were now screwed: Cydia was not always "stable", but it was very seldom not "correct".

      Quote Originally Posted by XavierAlucard View Post
      There a few things I hope this merger brings to the table:

      Less Ads or better Ad Management
      Easier License Management in Cydia (a main reason I moved as many purchases to Rock)
      ...
      I do not run the ads you are complaining about and have no control over them. These ads were also visible in Rock Your Phone, anyway.

      Cydia's "license management" was so simple that you apparently got confused and thought it was hard: in Cydia, licenses are attached to your account, not your device. You just log in and you can install the application. With Rock, you had to have a bunch of machinery for "license transfer" as licenses were tied to devices.

      Quote Originally Posted by XavierAlucard View Post
      *Note: Purchases may have to be restricted to IMEI # due to abuse
      Under no circumstance should you ever tolerate a developer using your IMEI for any purpose. Using your IMEI number, it is possible to spoof your cell phone, which opens up the possibility of intercepting phone calls and billing things to your cellular account.
    1. Jeton's Avatar
      Jeton -
      What about us users who can't purchase through Cydia Store?

      In Macedonia neither PayPal or AmazonPayments work, because Macedonia isn't in the "supported countries" list.

      Is there any hope for us?
      Because as much as I hate to say this (without being accused of sounding like a hypocrite) our only way to use Cydia apps is through getting the pirated copies of them.

      I really hope to get an answer from saurik.