• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Accuses Samsung Galaxy S4 and Google Now of Infringing Certain Patents


    Apple recently added five new patents to its claims in in its ongoing litigation against Samsung. The patents target both the company’s new flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone as well as the Google Now service for the Android platform. Two of the patents specifically relate to Apple’s personal assistant, Siri, while the other three focus on the graphical user interface, data synchronization, and method for performing a certain action.

    According to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, the following patents are in question:


    Apple filed the motion to amend its infringement complaint in a California court recently. It simply seeks to add Samsung’s recently released Galaxy S4 to the existing complaint, which as of right now already targets a number of other Samsung products. According to the filing:

    The Galaxy S4 product practices many of the same claims already asserted by Apple… in the same way as the already-accused Samsung devices.
    When it comes to the inclusion of Google Now, the ‘604 and ‘959 patents related to Siri are also included in the filing because Google Now has replaced the Android Quick Search Box in some instances. This search box was previously targeted by Apple in its complaint.

    The Cupertino California company first signaled the court it was intending to add the Galaxy S4 to its existing patent infringement suit previously. The recent formal filing revealed exactly which patents Apple was accusing Samsung of violating. A hearing to discuss Apple’s motion has been scheduled for June 25 in a San Jose court in front of Judge Paul S. Grewal.

    Source: FOSS Patents
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Accuses Samsung Galaxy S4 and Google Now of Infringing Certain Patents started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      Dang apple won't be able to claim this feature! Samsung lets u use gloves & air gesturing. Apple what have u got?

      http://allaboutgalaxys4.com/galaxy-s...d/air-gesture/

      #JediMuch?
      Most everybody have that stupid feature turned off to save battery life. Just google galaxy s4 battery drain.
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Most everybody have that stupid feature turned off to save battery life. Just google galaxy s4 battery drain.
      At least those devices have it! Apple? That's right u have to take your gloves off to use it. PIA when u live in a cooler climate. They turn it off? Dang I know I wouldn't! Battery drain? Meh u can plug it in to charge up ur fone. Ppl expect to be wowed and then they don't use the tech? Might as well just get an iPhone because those things are not up with the play apparently...But wait those same ppl are expecting more from Apple???
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      At least those devices have it! Apple? That's right u have to take your gloves off to use it. PIA when u live in a cooler climate. They turn it off? Dang I know I wouldn't! Battery drain? Meh u can plug it in to charge up ur fone. Ppl expect to be wowed and then they don't use the tech? Might as well just get an iPhone because those things are not up with the play apparently...But wait those same ppl are expecting more from Apple???
      You can buy gloves for $5 that work on touch screen. What's the point of having a feature when u gonna turn it off? Oh I see, you can show off to your friends and then turn it off again.
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      You can buy gloves for $5 that work on touch screen. What's the point of having a feature when u gonna turn it off? Oh I see, you can show off to your friends and then turn it off again.
      Lol $5

      Who said about turning it off? I didn't...
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      Lol $5

      Who said about turning it off? I didn't...
      Google "Galaxy s4 battery drain". All advise you to turn off the bu11$h1t features. Your finger not enough to scroll that u need air gestures.
    1. znbl's Avatar
      znbl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      I have seen the google version of Siri for myself, and have to tell you it even soounds like siri meaning the voice. I mean damn google at least change the voice to something else LOL
      Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
      I for one was a little annoyed when Siri came out and a day later (exaggeration) google created their own. Come on, it’s too coincidental.
      You both must have missed the fact that Google Voice Search came out in 2008, where as Siri on the iPhone 4S didn't debut until late 2011. It helps to actually do some fact checking rather then (re)iterating random hearsay you got from some forum/web/tweet/etc comment somewhere.
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Google "Galaxy s4 battery drain". All advise you to turn off the bu11$h1t features. Your finger not enough to scroll that u need air gestures.
      No you're missing the point. It's about the fact that those other devices are being built with that tech that apple can't think of themselves. Not about the fact that it causes supposed "battery drain" that you're referencing via Google. At least those devices have that tech. As a consumer I want the best $$$ can buy regardless of "battery drain. Everything causes battery drain in the end doesn't it? Pretty sure Apple's iOS still uses battery even tho it doesn't have this additional tech. It's about the tech NOT the battery drain.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      No you're missing the point. It's about the fact that those other devices are being built with that tech that apple can't think of themselves. Not about the fact that it causes supposed "battery drain" that you're referencing via Google. At least those devices have that tech. As a consumer I want the best $$$ can buy regardless of "battery drain. Everything causes battery drain in the end doesn't it? Pretty sure Apple's iOS still uses battery even tho it doesn't have this additional tech. It's about the tech NOT the battery drain.
      For me, it's about battery drain. I don't want to carry a phone and a charger in my pocket at all times.
    1. ceris7356's Avatar
      ceris7356 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      No you're missing the point. It's about the fact that those other devices are being built with that tech that apple can't think of themselves. Not about the fact that it causes supposed "battery drain" that you're referencing via Google. At least those devices have that tech. As a consumer I want the best $$$ can buy regardless of "battery drain. Everything causes battery drain in the end doesn't it? Pretty sure Apple's iOS still uses battery even tho it doesn't have this additional tech. It's about the tech NOT the battery drain.
      So your point is that you would rather have stupid "tech" like bring able to wave your hand at your phone to make it do things then have a phone with good battery life? You're also implying that other phones with that kind of "tech"are better than iPhone solely because of that?

      >touchscreen
    1. iH85CH001's Avatar
      iH85CH001 -
      Of course they did...
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by ceris7356 View Post
      So your point is that you would rather have stupid "tech" like bring able to wave your hand at your phone to make it do things then have a phone with good battery life? You're also implying that other phones with that kind of "tech"are better than iPhone solely because of that?

      >touchscreen
      It appears that it could be a useful feature IMO. And who are u to decide if its stupid or not? I'll decide myself thank u very much. It was about the fact that for the last few releases that the iPhone hasn't really brought anything new the table in terms of tech albeit "stupid" or not. Did I actually say/imply the other devices were better? I said that in terms of tech that they seem to be offering more that what Apple was/has been offering both in terms of hardware & software wise.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
      Of course they did...
      I'm wondering, who did what?
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      I'm wondering, who did what?
      Read the title of the article.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Really that simple lol