• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Boosts the Promotion for its 50 Billion App Download Contest


    Apple previously announced a new contest leading up to the 50 billionth downloaded app. The lucky person who downloads the 50 billionth app will receive a $10,000 gift card redeemable on the App Store. Going even a step further than that, Apple also announced that it will also be awarding $500 App Store gift cards to the people who download the first 50 apps after the 50 billion threshold has been reached.

    The Cupertino California company recently boosted the awareness for their contest by promoting it on their Apple.com homepage. The homepage currently features a revolving series of photos which aim to illustrate just how big the 50 billion mark is. Among the photos is a snapshot of the Earth accompanied with the tagline, “With 50 billion steps, you could walk around the Earth more than 800 times.”

    Other photos include one with the Great Wall of China, which is accompanied with the tagline, “With 50 billion bricks, you could build 12 Great Walls of China.” There is also a photo which notes that "counting to 50 billion would take someone 1,600 years.” As of right now, the meter on Apple’s website says we’re about halfway over the 49.6 billion download mark so in a few days, a group of people will be getting quite lucky.

    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Boosts the Promotion for its 50 Billion App Download Contest started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
    1. Adz2010's Avatar
      Adz2010 -
      Is the countdown in real-time? I remember them sayin the countdown is just for viewing purposes or something....
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adz2010 View Post
      Is the countdown in real-time? I remember them sayin the countdown is just for viewing purposes or something....
      That would be correct. It is not real time.
    1. Colin9001's Avatar
      Colin9001 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adz2010 View Post
      Is the countdown in real-time? I remember them sayin the countdown is just for viewing purposes or something....
      It's not real. I'm not even sure how the system works because it says it's a contest, and you don't even need to download an app to win it.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Honestly guarantee this goes to a Chinese person... Not racist just fact ahha
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      With all the cash apple has you think they could give a better deal then this... Maybe first 500 people after get $500...
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      $10grand for AppStore purchases?? In 10 years i'd still have over 9 grand :]
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
      With all the cash apple has you think they could give a better deal then this... Maybe first 500 people after get $500...
      This comment is really stupid. Apple isn't entitled to give us anything, yet you complain.
    1. Adz2010's Avatar
      Adz2010 -
      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      That would be correct. It is not real time.
      So the post is kinda irrelevant when it says "As of right now, the meter on Apple’s website says we’re about halfway over the 49.6 billion download mark".
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      This comment is really stupid. Apple isn't entitled to give us anything, yet you complain.
      Did I say they were? No. In MY opinion I said they should. No where in my post did I say they are entitled to us. Matter of opinion buddy.
    1. RileyFreeman's Avatar
      RileyFreeman -
      apple is cheap as hell. how do you have that much cash and not giveaway a mac or iphone or ipad. Honestly they should be giving away one of all of their products. completely make someone a ios user. laptop, desktop, phone and tablet.
    1. Eaterofpies's Avatar
      Eaterofpies -
      Quote Originally Posted by RileyFreeman View Post
      apple is cheap as hell. how do you have that much cash and not giveaway a mac or iphone or ipad. Honestly they should be giving away one of all of their products. completely make someone a ios user. laptop, desktop, phone and tablet.
      they are giving u app store credit because their money is not theirs to give. its the company's property and is divided up in dividends. basically they're not allowed to give company funds to random people because every share holder is entitled a fraction of it and its basically giving away the shareholders money.
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by RileyFreeman View Post
      apple is cheap as hell. how do you have that much cash and not giveaway a mac or iphone or ipad. Honestly they should be giving away one of all of their products. completely make someone a ios user. laptop, desktop, phone and tablet.
      10k should be able to buy you all of that
    1. Brewko's Avatar
      Brewko -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      10k should be able to buy you all of that
      If only you could use that 10k at the apple store but unfortunately it's for apps,movies etc
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      This is all marketing BS for Apple. The 50 billionth app has probably been downloaded already and the counter has been timed to hit 50 billion right around keynote time next month so they can announce it with a keynote bullet point. Then the foreigner who has no known friends or relatives (probably a ghost) wins the prize! Has anyone here known one person that has won one of these milestone prizes?
    1. Adz2010's Avatar
      Adz2010 -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      This is all marketing BS for Apple. The 50 billionth app has probably been downloaded already and the counter has been timed to hit 50 billion right around keynote time next month so they can announce it with a keynote bullet point. Then the foreigner who has no known friends or relatives (probably a ghost) wins the prize! Has anyone here known one person that has won one of these milestone prizes?
      lol thats exactly what i think too! No-one ever knows the person that wins these sort of competitions
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      This is all marketing BS for Apple. The 50 billionth app has probably been downloaded already and the counter has been timed to hit 50 billion right around keynote time next month so they can announce it with a keynote bullet point. Then the foreigner who has no known friends or relatives (probably a ghost) wins the prize! Has anyone here known one person that has won one of these milestone prizes?
      There are 7 billion people on this planet and say about half a billion are in this contest. It's pretty arrogant of you to think you'd know the winner.
    1. iH85CH001's Avatar
      iH85CH001 -
      The 50 billionth app downloader has been announced. HER name was Justin Bieber, from Hollywood, CA.