Shortly after being accused yet again over user privacy issues, the social networking app, Path, released an update with enhanced security settings along with a slew of new features. Path’s latest version, 3.0.4, brings a number of tweaks and big fixes but perhaps most important for some is a new option in the Settings menu to disallow a user from being discovered in global search. The new feature adds a bit of privacy for users who don’t want to broadcast their page to everyone on Path, also allowing account holders to use the app in a different way than many other social media services.
For those of you who are unaware, a recent report regarding how Path handles friend discovery and invitations gained some attention on the Web earlier this week after a digital marketer tested the app and found its invitations process as being too intrusive. The digital marketer, Stephen Kenwright, noted that Path blasted out invitations to everyone on his Facebook friends list without his express approval, as is the default operation unless an “Unselect All” option is selected.
For its part, the company argues that the methods used are meant to simplify the friend finding process for users, saying the app “is really best with friends.” Many of the current Path account holders didn’t mind the automated invitations, however the behavior can easily be turned off in their app. With that in mind, the latest update adds improved tools for finding friends and family with Gmail and Twitter integration. It’s unclear if the app will send out automatic friend requests to a user’s entire Twitter following or Gmail contacts list, though the company hasn’t changed its stance on friend discovery since Tuesday’s incident. A list of other features included in version 3.0.4 can be found below:
- Typing: Wondering if your friend is typing a message to you? Now you will know if they are typing and where they are typing from.
- Unread Messages: Never miss a message. Improved unread message badging and notifications.
- Group Message Names: Now you can personalize a Group Message by simply tapping on the name.
- Search Bookmarks: Love searching for the same moments all the time? Now you can bookmark your favorite searches.
- New User Experience: Improved new user experience.
- Speed: All kinds of speed and performance improvements all around the app.
- Bug Fixes