• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Pentagon Poised to Give iOS 6 High Security Clearance


    In recent moths, MMi has covered reports of the U.S. Department of Defense testing the iPhone as well as Android devices in the field. The Federal Government continues to explore which mobile devices best serve their needs in the most secure fashion possible.

    According to The Wall Street Journal, the DoD is inching closer than ever to green-lighting iOS 6 for use in high-security clearance situations. As we understand, however, iOS 6 would not be used for classified purposes. All iOS 6-related communications would, in fact, be non-classified in nature.

    The Defense Information Systems Agency, or DISA - the agency that sanctions commercial technology for Pentagon use - is expected to rule in early May that Apple's latest operating system, iOS 6, conforms to adequate security-requirements.

    "That would allow iPhones and iPads to be used by military agencies for non-classified communications, such as email and Web browsing," the WSJ reports. BlackBerry, meanwhile, has "has had to go back to seek fresh approval because its latest BlackBerrys, the touch-screen Z10 and keyboard-equipped Q10, run off a new operating system."

    Source: WSJ
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Pentagon Poised to Give iOS 6 High Security Clearance started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. Raptor2213's Avatar
      Raptor2213 -
      ...because a phone without a working passcode locksreen is certainly secure enough for the DoD!
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      ^^They've got no choice, either that or open source...
      I am not an iFanboy but even I have to say why did they even consider an Android?
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      HHHmmmmm iPhone or Android????? Apple is pretty anal about security and anti jailbreaking. Android is open software to which anybody can write malicious code and hack into it as people are already seeing by downloading apps from google play and getting malware and viruses LOL. Ya hard decision!!!!
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
      ...because a phone without a working passcode locksreen is certainly secure enough for the DoD!
      But at least Apple will send out an update to fix it for all devices, while the DoD would have to buy all new hardware to the latest Android OS.
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      ^^They've got no choice, either that or open source...
      I am not an iFanboy but even I have to say why did they even consider an Android?
      I'm agreeing with him. I hate both companies but fapple is clearly the best choice.
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      I'm agreeing with him. I hate both companies but fapple is clearly the best choice.
      Wait? What does fapple mean?
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      But at least Apple will send out an update to fix it for all devices, while the DoD would have to buy all new hardware to the latest Android OS.
      Actually his point is that Apple has tried to fix the pass code issue for years but there's always a new glitch. Also it's not hard to install custom Android ROMs. And since it's open source, some custom ROMs are actually just updates to the latest version.

      I like both platforms and I don't think his argument is really valid.
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Actually his point is that Apple has tried to fix the pass code issue for years but there's always a new glitch. Also it's not hard to install custom Android ROMs. And since it's open source, some custom ROMs are actually just updates to the latest version.

      I like both platforms and I don't think his argument is really valid.
      His argument is absolutely valid. iOS IS historically far more secure then Android. Android looks cooler and more open source, but for a phone you can lock down? I'd say iPhone all the way.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
      His argument is absolutely valid. iOS IS historically far more secure then Android. Android looks cooler and more open source, but for a phone you can lock down? I'd say iPhone all the way.
      The argument I was referring to was the one about the fact iOS has a pass code glitch that allows access to photos, call history, and Siri making it too insecure for the DoD. But now that I remember it allows access to call history, I think he may have a small point.

      I would also point out that the other argument definitely isn't valid, because he said Apple would fix it with an update when they've been trying for years.

      Your argument is valid.
    1. killakill's Avatar
      killakill -
      This is not even an argument. iOS more secure than android. There should not even be a question about it. iOS is the most secure mobile platform, by far. Almost everyone knows that. Even people who aren't as educated about the difference knows it. Whether iOS is secure enough for the DOD is a different story. No one here on MMO. Should be even remotely surprised that the DOD is lea inning towards iOS based on its security. As for installing custom roms on an android device, it is not difficult. If you can follow simple written directions, anyone can install a custom rom on an android. Everyone automatically believes it is difficult to do because it is something that is not "supposed" to be done. I know from experience that installing custom roms on android devices is not difficult.
    1. sheon's Avatar
      sheon -
      there ******* stupid if iOS is so secure why the hell is it always sooner or later ending up having a jailbreak....

      honestly if there want security the should just stick with blackberry they might not have the best apps or videos or sound or whatever but **** the nailed security which should be the number 1 thing to protect in our goverment but nah they look better having flashy 600$ iPhones........... if i was goverment i would rather have a phone that no one has and no one wants to even bother to hack then a phone that everyone and there grandma has and is hacked daily same goes for android everyone roots them so there system is not so secure either........
    1. camxposure's Avatar
      camxposure -
      mod edit, post removed.
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      edited
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Actually his point is that Apple has tried to fix the pass code issue for years but there's always a new glitch. Also it's not hard to install custom Android ROMs. And since it's open source, some custom ROMs are actually just updates to the latest version.

      I like both platforms and I don't think his argument is really valid.
      I know they have been trying to fix it and some hacker always finds away but most they actually don't allow access to Siri and the glitches require Siri to be disabled and voice control to be turned on for the lock screen. Any device that has Siri enabled, the glitches no longer work. Unless the DoD is going to write their own rom and support it themselves, then they are only going to stick with official releases of Android or iOS. They can't deal with 1000's of phones being glitchy on a custom rom, then to update they would have to have everyone bring their phones in to install a new custom rom where with iOS they would just to an ota update.
    1. killakill's Avatar
      killakill -
      Don't be so naive. You really think RIM "nailed it" when speaking of security? If that was so, you really believe the government drops them just to have a device that only looks cooler, and pales in comparison to blackberry's security? If you truly believe all of this, than you are either that uneducated about it, or you work for RIM and/or have some stock invested within the company. I know of a dozen companies just off off the top of my head that have all switched from blackberry or an android device to iOS because it is much more secure. I have yet to hear of any company switching from iOS to blackberry or android because those are more secure.

      Quote Originally Posted by sheon View Post
      there ******* stupid if iOS is so secure why the hell is it always sooner or later ending up having a jailbreak....

      honestly if there want security the should just stick with blackberry they might not have the best apps or videos or sound or whatever but **** the nailed security which should be the number 1 thing to protect in our goverment but nah they look better having flashy 600$ iPhones........... if i was goverment i would rather have a phone that no one has and no one wants to even bother to hack then a phone that everyone and there grandma has and is hacked daily same goes for android everyone roots them so there system is not so secure either........