• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • "Traitorware:" EFF Warns About Apple Patent


    The Electronic Frontier Foundation is saying that Apple wants to take spyware to the next level and create what the digital-rights advocacy group calls “traitorware:” technology that will inform Cupertino if a user is doing something the company doesn't like. The patent - which Michael covered last week, describes technologies that would ostensibly help recover stolen iPhones, but could also be used for spying and as a remote "kill switch" for jailbroken and unlocked phones.

    The patent, "Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device" describes how an iOS device could determine a user’s identity and whether or not the user is the registered owner. The capabilities of the device - recording the voice of a user, getting the real-time location of the device, taking a photo of the user and the surroundings, and biometric information like heart rate and something called the "vibration profile" all without the user’s knowledge.

    EFF writer Julie Samuels writes in her blog post entitled "Steve Jobs is Watching You" that Apple does not say in the application how it would use the information, how long it will keep it, or who it would share it with. Samuels raises warnings that if Apple collects the information, the likelihood is great that it will eventually be exposed either by law enforcement or by security breaches, either outcome being a grave risk to privacy. Furthermore, Samuels highlights (as Michael did in his article) the capability this would give Apple to remotely kill any jailbroken or unlocked device.

    “This patent application does nothing short of providing a roadmap for how Apple can — and presumably will — spy on its customers and control the way its customers use Apple products,” Samuels writes. Decrying it as “downright creepy and invasive,” Samuels calls on Apple to leave this technology on the shelf.

    Source: Computerworld
    This article was originally published in forum thread: "Traitorware:" EFF Warns About Apple Patent started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 87 Comments
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      The scary thing here is that it's not an invasion of privacy if you AGREE to it. All it takes is forcing you to agree to it in order to use the product via EULA and you are screwed out of your planned lawsuit.
      Not if they FORCE you as you said... you can use that in your favor.

      If they add another option in case you don't agree and you can still using the product, that's another thing. In that way you can sue them if you don't agree and they did it anyways.
    1. akmodmyi's Avatar
      akmodmyi -
      Can't wait for the iToilet that takes a photo of your *** while you push out a turd.
    1. zero-limit's Avatar
      zero-limit -
      Apple can't do sh** if i have physical access to the device. If they implement this patent in software there will be patch, if they implement it in hardware there is possibility of hardware mod which will remove it.

      Apple have no right to tell anyone what he can do with the device he payed for(here i speak for jailbroken, not for stolen devices).

      Also i have one question:

      How they will determine if the device is unauthorized ?

      With the current description of the patent all used devices sold over internet are unauthorized. Here i am not talking about jailbroken devices, but for devices which will be used by other people, not by the original person who bought the hardware from the apple store.

      So this is a big mess at the moment, and probably will be a bit bigger in time. As a friend of mine said: "Apple will get sued a lot".
    1. cory's Avatar
      cory -
      anyone feel like making an iDevice version of "little snitch"?
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      Quote Originally Posted by zero-limit View Post
      Apple can't do sh** if i have physical access to the device. If they implement this patent in software there will be patch, if they implement it in hardware there is possibility of hardware mod which will remove it.

      Apple have no right to tell anyone what he can do with the device he payed for(here i speak for jailbroken, not for stolen devices).

      Also i have one question:

      How they will determine if the device is unauthorized ?

      With the current description of the patent all used devices sold over internet are unauthorized. Here i am not talking about jailbroken devices, but for devices which will be used by other people, not by the original person who bought the hardware from the apple store.

      So this is a big mess at the moment, and probably will be a bit bigger in time. As a friend of mine said: "Apple will get sued a lot".
      I think if they can do it is, its going to be inactive, but once the user reports his iPhone stolen with the information that they are going to have like serial number or maybe ICCID or IMEI they activate it and it can be tracked. Another option will be once the user sell the iPhone he got to report that it was sold with the information of the new owner, something like your car's registration. Im just trying to figure it out. Thats crazy, I think the user is the one that need to be responsible for his own iPhone, if it is stolen it was maybe because, you left it in one visible place or something, or in one club (I think I hear that before)
    1. sainaka's Avatar
      sainaka -
      well, maybe they try to use it, but first time they do...will be the last, this is totally ilegal at least in most countries...like other patents this one will stay in the shelves....Amen.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      Perhaps his drive for power over money is what creates the inspiration he has to bring us these amazing products. If it was only about money, perhaps he wouldn't be making anything new right now....Microsoft...Bill Gates... U listening??
      I'm sorry but are you saying Bill Gates only cares about money? Because that's about the most ignorant stupid thing I've ever read so far here. Bill Gates is one of the biggest philanthropist in our lifetime and has already pledged to donate HALF of his entire fortune to charity not counting the billions he's already donated in the past. He also organized with Warren Buffet (who pledged 99% of his wealth to charity) a group of billionaires (over 40) to also donate half their wealths.

      Bill Gates has done more for humanity than Jobs ever will.
    1. LeechCookie's Avatar
      LeechCookie -
      This can't be legal.
    1. Sirjohn13's Avatar
      Sirjohn13 -
      Naughty Apple !!! I just don't get it, why do you want to stop something that make you gain more money ???
    1. jdogg84's Avatar
      jdogg84 -
      I think that every iPhone user should start a petition before this wholle thiing gets out of hand! Seriously!!!

      !!!!Message me if you are interested!!!!
    1. llmo128's Avatar
      llmo128 -
      Sorry dude it was use 2 times shake the baby and some tethering app from long ago.

      Sorry guy but it seems you don't know about bill gates he is new world order think I'm a lie google it in the news
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      I'm sorry but are you saying Bill Gates only cares about money? Because that's about the most ignorant stupid thing I've ever read so far here. Bill Gates is one of the biggest philanthropist in our lifetime and has already pledged to donate HALF of his entire fortune to charity not counting the billions he's already donated in the past. He also organized with Warren Buffet (who pledged 99% of his wealth to charity) a group of billionaires (over 40) to also donate half their wealths.

      Bill Gates has done more for humanity than Jobs ever will.
      And Microsoft saved Apple.
    1. thaforgottenone's Avatar
      thaforgottenone -
      this is their next move since now jailbreak is legal now. creepy they can turn on the fornt face'n cam as you to look at the time on the phone or they can download people's videos off the phone- they might keep the "sexy" vids people make or post them on utube, hahah. but yea not cool.
    1. LGgeek's Avatar
      LGgeek -
      Maybe a JB will take care of this but I agree with EFF this needs to be stopped now. Apple thinks it has the RIGHT to invade our privacy and decide how we use products we PURCHASED.

      I think Apple's motto is "Be Evil We Can Get Away With It", this is really starting to turn me off to Apple products. No other manufacturer is as obsessed as Apple is. Is this Steve Jobs or is there someone else lurking behind it all like Foxconn.
    1. slidingmike's Avatar
      slidingmike -
      If they do this, and do shut off my phone because it's jailbroken, I'll see steve job in court.

      I understand the concept, but not worth the hassle, If they want us to stop using their product, this is the first step.
    1. rocky5's Avatar
      rocky5 -
      Quote Originally Posted by akmodmyi View Post
      Can't wait for the iToilet that takes a photo of your *** while you push out a turd.
      this would be the advert for it lol.

      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dmLRb3yRug]YouTube - New From Apple!!![/ame]
    1. umkthxbye's Avatar
      umkthxbye -
      Steve Jobs reminds of of Hitler, except he is trying to genocide the competition. I know I'll be switching to Android if this ever launches. I know that it probably will never launch in Canada due to our crazy technology laws and privacy laws, but still, they will lose millions of people by launching this. Someone should just assassinate him and save the world, Steve Jobs is showing us that Skynet is in the works and that all living organisms will be destroyed. I'm sure he is even working on a replacement for his brain and body to be completely cybernetic. Destroy HIM before he destroys US!!!
    1. hacktarded1's Avatar
      hacktarded1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      psh... Devs will disable Apple's ability to do this before starting the jailbreak process, yet another reason to jailbreak iPhones.
      Totally agree, the devs are quite obviously smarter and better at this stuff than the goons Apple has on board. This is a non-issue for jailbreakers and a potentially HUGE reason for more people to consider jailbreaking in the future!

      Oh and Steve Jobs = one of the largest God complexes on the planet. Good luck with that egomaniac!
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by llmo128 View Post
      Sorry dude it was use 2 times shake the baby and some tethering app from long ago.

      Sorry guy but it seems you don't know about bill gates he is new world order think I'm a lie google it in the news
      You're right. I think I will. I will google "Bill Gates in the news" Here, let me get your started:

      Let me google that for you

      First Result:
      Bill Gates News - The New York Times
      Choice quotes:
      Bill Gates, the chairman of Microsoft and for years the world's wealthiest man, is a full-time philanthropist. In 2008, Mr. Gates walked away from his day-to-day duties at Microsoft and shifted his energies to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, whose goals are curing the world's fatal diseases and improving American education
      Second Result:
      Why Bill Gates Is Giving Away His Fortune - ABC News
      They'll get something, but not a substantial percentage. Then, the question is how to give it back to society to have the best impact. And so my wife Melinda and I talked about what was the focus in the United States that we think could have the biggest impact? And then we picked education and scholarships. And then on a global basis, what was the greatest inequity? And as we learned about these health issues, we realized that that's where you can make a huge change and that has such a positive effect on all the other things.
      Regarding what I said earlier:
      Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and the billionaire challenge - CSMonitor.com
      One front is a gentle arm-twisting campaign by Warren Buffett and Bill Gates to persuade fellow billionaires to commit half of their wealth to good causes. In just a few short weeks, the two men have won over 38 of those listed on the Forbes 400 list of wealthiest Americans to make that pledge.

      About half of those asked have so far said yes, often saying they see their giving as an investment in society. Their names range from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to eBay founder Pierre Omidyar. In all, they have a combined net worth of more than $200 billion.

      But money for charity isn’t the main point. As Mr. Buffett, head of Berkshire Hathaway investments, said: “At its core, the Giving Pledge is about asking wealthy families to have important conversations about their wealth and how it will be used.”
      And of course let's not forget that if it hadn't been for MICROSOFT'S help back in 1997 (a 150 MILLION investment, around 200 million now if you take into account inflation) we probably wouldn't know what an iPhone is.

      But you're right, Bill Gates truly is an evil new world order guy.
    1. Tyronal's Avatar
      Tyronal -
      Great scare campaign. There's no way on earth this would be allowed in most countries with strong privacy legislation. Has not remote access been a feature for the owner to track a stolen phone? Well then this would be an enhancement of this would it not? If the owner of a phone has access to this, there's no problem. To suggest it's a feature only so apple can track what users are doing is complete bull. Again, it wouldn't pass privacy laws in most countries. The conspiracy theorists eat this rubbish for breakfast, I'm not swallowing it for a second.

      Quote Originally Posted by umkthxbye View Post
      Steve Jobs reminds of of Hitler, except he is trying to genocide the competition. I know I'll be switching to Android if this ever launches. I know that it probably will never launch in Canada due to our crazy technology laws and privacy laws, but still, they will lose millions of people by launching this. Someone should just assassinate him and save the world, Steve Jobs is showing us that Skynet is in the works and that all living organisms will be destroyed. I'm sure he is even working on a replacement for his brain and body to be completely cybernetic. Destroy HIM before he destroys US!!!
      Ummm, mods, when is this ^^^ acceptable? This is the garbage that pollutes this site.