• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Nokia Ramps Up Efforts to Compete with App Store


    In what proves to be yet another indication of Nokia's eagerness to compete with Apple in the booming app marketplace, the struggling phone maker is ramping up efforts to boost software development for the Ovi platform by sweetened the pot for developers so to speak. Today it was announced that Nokia is purchasing analytics firm Motally.

    "The Finnish company says the acquisition Friday underscores its attempt to improve mobile Web browsing analytics for software developers of its Internet services, that are struggling to match competitor Apple Inc.," the AP reported in its coverage of Nokia's announcement early Friday. The move strikes many analysts as Nokia's latest and borderline desperate attempt to bolster the Ovi platform, which gives mobilephone users access to a wide range of downloads, including music, games, and maps.

    Nokia says the systems of San Francisco-based Motally enable software developers to better connect with customers and improve the development of their applications. Privately held Motally was founded in 2008 and has eight employees.
    Although Apple has invested heavily in iAd to keep devs happy and attract the newest and brightest in the business to the iOS platform, Apple cannot presently boast of a similar mobile analytics firm in the fold. Effectively, Nokia gained "one-up" on Apple with this acquisition, even though it isn't yet entirely clear if the move will do anything significant to achieve the lofty and uphill goals of Nokia in the app space.

    Associated Press
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Nokia Ramps Up Efforts to Compete with App Store started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 50 Comments
    1. Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
      Bluemoldycheeze88 -
      I don't know why but when I think hear Nokia I think back to early to mid 2000's.
      I found my old nokia 6700 With a 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera from Verizon. I remember this phone was the it phone back in 2003..
    1. glassJAw's Avatar
      glassJAw -
      Quote Originally Posted by sal_osx View Post
      Everytime I hear Nokia I think of prehistoric phones. Is it just me or anyone else have the same thought?
      Bahahaha I think of my old brick of a phone (5110, to be exact) thinking I was the business playing snake.
    1. robertr1's Avatar
      robertr1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull2o08 View Post
      ummm Nokia struggling? LMFAO!

      The first quarter of 2010 had Nokia almost doubling the manufacturer behind them in sales. They sold 107.8 million phones first quarter, 2010 for 36.6% Global Market Share. Samsung was #2 with only 64.3 million sold. Apple wasn't even in the top 5. They only sold 8.8 million units.

      And for everyone saying, "Well, apple is smarter and Nokia sells dumb phones." guess what? of those 107.8 million Nokia sold, still 25 million were Symbian OS smart phones. Symbian is not out of date, they just updated this year. And you people act like all 8 billion people in this world want a smart phone. Nokia caters to every demographic in the world! That's why they sell like hotcakes. I hate rhetorically arguing my point.
      Exactly. People seem to forget the fact that a lot of people(I'm willing to bet more than the amount of people that want smart phones) don't want a smart phone. They want a phone that is a phone and nothing more because it's always a cheap phone and cheap phone bill. Nokia sells those type of phones which is why it's so successful.

      Also, companies need to stop trying to compete with apple by making something similar. They need to work on one ground breaking thing that hasn't been made yet. Making a new touch screen phone with basically the same things minus the app market isn't going to beat an iphone.
    1. Aliquippakid's Avatar
      Aliquippakid -
      I think most the people saying they don't want a smart phone just don't want to admit to wanting one. There's a big difference between not wanting and can't afford
    1. zozodouce's Avatar
      zozodouce -
      if anyone in here can't afford a smart phone than you don't need to be here reading this.modmyi needs to make a new site or a forums for people with the cheap garbage phones like the ones Nokia makes.all you nokia garbage cheap phone lovers can go there and jailbreak your nokia phone hahahahaha.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Wow someone doesn't like Nokia.
    1. robertr1's Avatar
      robertr1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
      if anyone in here can't afford a smart phone than you don't need to be here reading this.modmyi needs to make a new site or a forums for people with the cheap garbage phones like the ones Nokia makes.all you nokia garbage cheap phone lovers can go there and jailbreak your nokia phone hahahahaha.
      Who says people that don't want an iphone can't afford one? Some people(not me, I have an iphone) only need a phone. They don't need all the fancy things smartphones have. So, why pay the expensive bill of a smartphone plan and the high cost of an iphone if you don't need it? But then again why am I even telling you this, you seem to think everyone who doesn't want something can't afford it....
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
      Who says people that don't want an iphone can't afford one? Some people(not me, I have an iphone) only need a phone. They don't need all the fancy things smartphones have. So, why pay the expensive bill of a smartphone plan and the high cost of an iphone if you don't need it? But then again why am I even telling you this, you seem to think everyone who doesn't want something can't afford it....
      That's fine but this topic of discussion is about Nokia's weak attempts to get into the smart phone market.
    1. Antman217's Avatar
      Antman217 -
      Ok people we need to get back on track! The article is about a nokia app store not about how many people in the world have a nokia phone. People are talking about how there are a lot of nokia phones out there but the real question you should be answering is how many people have a nokia smartphone that supports apps and then think about why nokia is too late in the game.
    1. GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
      GellBrake'rrrr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
      Ok people we need to get back on track! The article is about a nokia app store not about how many people in the world have a nokia phone. People are talking about how there are a lot of nokia phones out there but the real question you should be answering is how many people have a nokia smartphone that supports apps and then think about why nokia is too late in the game.


      Great point!!! I love the arguments! Don't get me wrong. As long as were not struggling over who's the first to post a comment... It's all good as long as it's relevant. But like you said.... This was a post about an app store for Nokia. And yes my friend.... They are WAY TOO LATE to enter the game now!
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      You should have done that a LONG TIME ago, Nokia.
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      When it comes to apps, Nokie is many laps down in this race.
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      It's two years too late nokia. Apple's app store is gonna own your ***
    1. sinnersage's Avatar
      sinnersage -
      perhaps nokia gonna sell to third world countries when they reach the current development of our countries :P
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      It's real simple. Yes there are more Nokia phones but from a smart phone perspective Nokia is getting destroyed by the competition. The time for quality over quantity has come. The Symbian OS is outdated junk and has been for a long time. With mobile OS's out there that are so much easier to work with people don't want to waste their time with a clunky overpriced option. The last truely "ahead of the game" phone Nokia had was the N95 and that lasted a very very short time. Nokia has an opportunity here to get it together but people don't want to have to re buy apps for a phone when they have invested so much in the IOS or Droid apps they currently have.
      The majority of phones that consumers use are not smartphones. It will be that way until there are no more dumb phones. Why? Cost. It costs more to buy a smartphone and it costs more monthly to maintain a smartphone account. Just because the users of this forum enjoy them doesn't mean that everyone in the world has one or wants one. It is all about demographics and Nokia has a stranglehold on dumb phones. Just like the Wii has the market on console sales. They target people well. I won't own a dumbphone, but millions upon millions of user do and will continue doing so.
    1. ShredNasty's Avatar
      ShredNasty -
      Nokia app store? You mean the kiosks in the mall that sell cheap American flag snap cases for Nokia phones? Maybe they'll revolutionize mobile devices like they did with the N-Gage. Nokia does dumb phones well. I've seen NOTHING impressive from them in the smartphone arena.
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      It's real simple. Yes there are more Nokia phones but from a smart phone perspective Nokia is getting destroyed by the competition. The time for quality over quantity has come. The Symbian OS is outdated junk and has been for a long time. With mobile OS's out there that are so much easier to work with people don't want to waste their time with a clunky overpriced option. The last truely "ahead of the game" phone Nokia had was the N95 and that lasted a very very short time. Nokia has an opportunity here to get it together but people don't want to have to re buy apps for a phone when they have invested so much in the IOS or Droid apps they currently have.
      The only way around this is for developers themselves to become platform independent. If you bought Angry Birds on iOS, then you should get a free license for Droid or Ovi. That would negate the whole platform lockin AND it would ultimately benefit developers. Only those developers with the resources to do this would survive, and they'd all be doing quite well.
    1. Blueinc21's Avatar
      Blueinc21 -
      I agree !
    1. ShredNasty's Avatar
      ShredNasty -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      The only way around this is for developers themselves to become platform independent. If you bought Angry Birds on iOS, then you should get a free license for Droid or Ovi. That would negate the whole platform lockin AND it would ultimately benefit developers. Only those developers with the resources to do this would survive, and they'd all be doing quite well.
      I disagree. Number one, if Nokia wants Angry Birds, they'll make an OS and hardware that can push it. Developers go for the money. Money is made by good games and that takes good hardware and software which are NOT a dev's responsibility. Secondly, that would effectively push independent developers out of the app game. They play a HUGE role in innovation. Just because a firm is large, doesn't mean they make good software, ahem, Nokia. And lastly, let's just say I had $100 in apps. That isn't reason enough for me to stay with a sub par device. If it sucks, im bailing. 90% of people would do the same. Eventually apps may be cross platform, like movie studios are doing with digital copies of movies. Buy the movie, play it on whatever. But until the competition catch up, it won't happen often in the app scene.

      I have closer to $20 in apps. I'm not glued to a device over purchased apps. Im glued to a device because of QUALITY. The sheer number o apps doesn't hurt either, but there are those kind of numbers at Apple because of the quality of the software and hardware. Should we punish them because they took a risk? Because they innovated while others watched? Level the playing field?
    1. zongomongo's Avatar
      zongomongo -
      What a lot of the posters here seem to miss is that Nokia is the global leader in SMARTPHONES by a long shot. Apple may have more apps for their iDevices in iTunes but Nokia has a lot more apps across their OS portfolio. Their apps are spread out over several app sites unlike Apple's that is tightly controlled through iTunes. What OP is talking about is their attempt to reign back control of the app ecosystem and concentrate it on the OVI store.

      Nokia's Global smartphone market share is 41% and has been growing quarter per quarter over the last 4 quarters. Apple and Blackberry have been on a steady decline globally over the same period.

      Many of us iPhone owners have blinkers on our eyes and don't see the bigger picture beyond Apple. I have several phones so I stay up to date on everything.

      Nokia also have Qt now which allows their apps to be written once and will work across several different devices from Symbian^3 (N8, C7, E7 etc.) to MeeGo(N9) and Maemo(N900). Look at Angry Birds as an example: YouTube - Bounce and Angry Birds by Rovio Developed using Nokia Qt SDK Angry Birds is available for Symbian, Maemo and MeeGo.

      A smartphone like the Nokia 5800 has outsold the iPhone globally. This is something you will never hear reported in the press.

      Beyond the app hype, Symbian is still the smartest smartphone OS. Tech-wise Nokia’s smartphones wipe the floor with the iPhone. Problem is marketing, which Apple has down to a T.