• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Nokia Ramps Up Efforts to Compete with App Store


    In what proves to be yet another indication of Nokia's eagerness to compete with Apple in the booming app marketplace, the struggling phone maker is ramping up efforts to boost software development for the Ovi platform by sweetened the pot for developers so to speak. Today it was announced that Nokia is purchasing analytics firm Motally.

    "The Finnish company says the acquisition Friday underscores its attempt to improve mobile Web browsing analytics for software developers of its Internet services, that are struggling to match competitor Apple Inc.," the AP reported in its coverage of Nokia's announcement early Friday. The move strikes many analysts as Nokia's latest and borderline desperate attempt to bolster the Ovi platform, which gives mobilephone users access to a wide range of downloads, including music, games, and maps.

    Nokia says the systems of San Francisco-based Motally enable software developers to better connect with customers and improve the development of their applications. Privately held Motally was founded in 2008 and has eight employees.
    Although Apple has invested heavily in iAd to keep devs happy and attract the newest and brightest in the business to the iOS platform, Apple cannot presently boast of a similar mobile analytics firm in the fold. Effectively, Nokia gained "one-up" on Apple with this acquisition, even though it isn't yet entirely clear if the move will do anything significant to achieve the lofty and uphill goals of Nokia in the app space.

    Associated Press
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Nokia Ramps Up Efforts to Compete with App Store started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 50 Comments
    1. Aliquippakid's Avatar
      Aliquippakid -
      Starting this fight a bit too late I think.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      How so? There are far more Nokia phones on the market than iPhones.
    1. Shishir G's Avatar
      Shishir G -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      How so? There are far more Nokia phones on the market than iPhones.
      oh and most of them are from like 2004
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      How so? There are far more Nokia phones on the market than iPhones.
      It's real simple. Yes there are more Nokia phones but from a smart phone perspective Nokia is getting destroyed by the competition. The time for quality over quantity has come. The Symbian OS is outdated junk and has been for a long time. With mobile OS's out there that are so much easier to work with people don't want to waste their time with a clunky overpriced option. The last truely "ahead of the game" phone Nokia had was the N95 and that lasted a very very short time. Nokia has an opportunity here to get it together but people don't want to have to re buy apps for a phone when they have invested so much in the IOS or Droid apps they currently have.
    1. Shishir G's Avatar
      Shishir G -
      Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
      It's real simple. Yes there are more Nokia phones but from a smart phone perspective Nokia is getting destroyed by the competition. The time for quality over quantity has come. The Symbian OS is outdated junk and has been for a long time. With mobile OS's out there that are so much easier to work with people don't want to waste their time with a clunky overpriced option. The last truely "ahead of the game" phone Nokia had was the N95 and that lasted a very very short time. Nokia has an opportunity here to get it together but people don't want to have to re buy apps for a phone when they have invested so much in the IOS or Droid apps they currently have.
      you,sir, are a GENIUS.
    1. Pitbull2o08's Avatar
      Pitbull2o08 -
      ummm Nokia struggling? LMFAO!

      The first quarter of 2010 had Nokia almost doubling the manufacturer behind them in sales. They sold 107.8 million phones first quarter, 2010 for 36.6% Global Market Share. Samsung was #2 with only 64.3 million sold. Apple wasn't even in the top 5. They only sold 8.8 million units.

      And for everyone saying, "Well, apple is smarter and Nokia sells dumb phones." guess what? of those 107.8 million Nokia sold, still 25 million were Symbian OS smart phones. Symbian is not out of date, they just updated this year. And you people act like all 8 billion people in this world want a smart phone. Nokia caters to every demographic in the world! That's why they sell like hotcakes. I hate rhetorically arguing my point.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      nokia who lol havent used one of their phones for almost 10 years if i was them i would sit back and collect money off my patents and sue people cause thats all they really do anyway
    1. sal_osx's Avatar
      sal_osx -
      Everytime I hear Nokia I think of prehistoric phones. Is it just me or anyone else have the same thought?
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      All these numbers and stats are fine but if Symbian wasn't crap and Nokia wasn't struggling then they wouldn't be taking steps to up their game. Noone wants to pay 500-800 bucks for a phone that does less than a Droid or IOS phone. Hell, even microsoft understands that.
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
      ...the struggling phone maker is ramping up efforts to boost software development for the Ovi platform by sweetened the pot for developers so to speak.
      How can you call the world wide leader in mobile device sales "struggling?"

      EDIT: There is always going to be a market for cheap basic phones which Nokia sells and there are some who love their high end stuff. Just like RIM BB users or Android users. There is something for everyone.
    1. eg6motion's Avatar
      eg6motion -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      How can you call the world wide leader in mobile device sales "struggling?"

      EDIT: There is always going to be a market for cheap basic phones which Nokia sells and there are some who love their high end stuff. Just like RIM BB users or Android users. There is something for everyone.
      they are struggling in the smartphone market. True story.

      Their "high-end" phones also get very poor reviews in comparison to Apple or Android headsets. They have a massive market share due to the number of non-smart phones, but they have zero phones to compete with the segment created by Apple and Android, and that's what the article is about. They also can't develop an "app store" that caters to all their phones.. most aren't compatible, are very low power or they are basic phones.
    1. saab9k's Avatar
      saab9k -
      Have a nokia E71, switch between it and a Iphone 3gs.

      The nokia is not a bad phone.
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by saab9k View Post
      Have a nokia E71, switch between it and a Iphone 3gs.

      The nokia is not a bad phone.
      I'll agree.. it's not a bad phone. I've never had had an N-Series since the N95 that's been a "great" phone.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      How can you say Nokia is struggling, get your facts right, only people who want apps and latest technology go for high end smartphones but most people who just want a phone will go for Nokia regardless of the crappy OS Symbian which was ok on my last Nokia phone, the N95 8GB, that was an awesome phone with the best speakers I've heard on any phone!
    1. Aliquippakid's Avatar
      Aliquippakid -
      Everone knows it's a numbers game. I didn't buy a iPhone cause milions of people had one. I bought it cause the number of apps. If we all re read te article that's what it about. Nokias app development. That's what I meant when it's a lil late, it's scary to think about apple having as many apps for the iPhone as they do and the fact it is a snowball rolling down a mountain. Althoughy I have never played with a app on my iPhone as long as I played snake on my old nokia.
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      How can you say Nokia is struggling, get your facts right, only people who want apps and latest technology go for high end smartphones but most people who just want a phone will go for Nokia regardless of the crappy OS Symbian which was ok on my last Nokia phone, the N95 8GB, that was an awesome phone with the best speakers I've heard on any phone!
      Noone is questioning the hardware of the N95. It was one of the best pieces of hardware with the exception of the many "wobbling" slider complaints. However the operating system was quickly outdone by other phones.
    1. Evilsaint's Avatar
      Evilsaint -
      Nokia is in a rough spot ATM but a few good decisions and actions lik tweaking the symbian os or switching to maemo like the n900 and doing a good job can put thm back in the high end market but will take thm a while they have more phones sold because not every one wants a high end device most of the people just want say and hear hello and are not worried Abt the functionality or can't afford to buy an iPhone android or a blackberry and the mid end nokia devices do a good job of satisfying those customers. And yea n95 I had kicks the arse of most touch screen s60 v5 phones they put out.
    1. zozodouce's Avatar
      zozodouce -
      Quote Originally Posted by sal_osx View Post
      Everytime I hear Nokia I think of prehistoric phones. Is it just me or anyone else have the same thought?
      not just you bro hahahahahahaha.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      I love my E71. I use it when my iPhone dies or those times that I try to break my addiction to the iPhone off for a few weeks.

      I have had several Nokia phones of the past 2 years and they are great also.
    1. zozodouce's Avatar
      zozodouce -
      Quote Originally Posted by saab9k View Post
      Have a nokia E71, switch between it and a Iphone 3gs.

      The nokia is not a bad phone.


      you said the key word phone hahahaha. just a phone is not going to do it these days most of us want smartphones not just something to call only hahahahahah.

      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      How can you say Nokia is struggling, get your facts right, only people who want apps and latest technology go for high end smartphones but most people who just want a phone will go for Nokia regardless of the crappy OS Symbian which was ok on my last Nokia phone, the N95 8GB, that was an awesome phone with the best speakers I've heard on any phone!
      well if want a radio in your pocket you should take the speakers out and put them in your iphone.