• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Report: iPhone 5S Models Will Offer Minimum of Two Screen Sizes


    Apple's next generation iPhone 5S will be released this summer with models offering two different screen sizes. On Tuesday, Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said he procured the news of multiple screen sizes from an encounter with a trusted source within Apple's supply chain.

    According to White, the "iPhone 5S" could launch with two or more separate screen sizes in July.

    "We believe Apple is coming around to the fact that one size per iPhone release does not work for everyone and offering consumers an option has the potential to expand the company's market share," White said this morning.

    Although Apple continues to eye the entry-level smartphone market, White doesn't expect Apple to introduce a new iPhone model below the $300 marker without a contract subsidy.

    "We believe this price point is reassuring for investors that Apple wants to expand its market reach with consumers in developing countries such as China," White said. "However, the company will also manage its margin profile and brand accordingly."

    Source: Fortune
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Report: iPhone 5S Models Will Offer Minimum of Two Screen Sizes started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 54 Comments
    1. Albut's Avatar
      Albut -
      Will never compete with Samsung re value for money relating to features. Apple will fail eventually if the continue to hike their prices!
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      If they offer a phone with a screen comparable in size to the S3, I'll stay with iPhone.
    1. CCNPJediHacker's Avatar
      CCNPJediHacker -
      Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
      Will never compete with Samsung re value for money relating to features. Apple will fail eventually if the continue to hike their prices!
      Samsung galaxy s4 is more expensive than the iPhone. Entry model is 579 on amazon UK at the moment;/ So I don't know where you get the notion samsung are cheaper and are value?
    1. blkcadi's Avatar
      blkcadi -
      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      If they offer a phone with a screen comparable in size to the S3, I'll stay with iPhone.
      Nice to have options for sure but, agree with you on S3 size, we have the iPad mini for that...
    1. Slmchrist's Avatar
      Slmchrist -
      If they offer a phone with a screen comparable in size to the S3, I'll stay with iPhone.

      +1. I love the iphone but very badly want a larger screen 4.7 inch perfect size.
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      God I hope not!!! We don't need Android's fragmentation problem!
    1. REMED1AL's Avatar
      REMED1AL -
      I hope this does not fragment the system. I'd imagine Apple already has a plan to keep the specs within control so the displays and apps aren't device specific but this seems, to me, like driving on black ice.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Looks like we are going back to the old school days where you could hurt someone with your huge and bulky phone.
    1. mutley's Avatar
      mutley -
      Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
      Will never compete with Samsung re value for money relating to features. Apple will fail eventually if the continue to hike their prices!
      thats like saying high end car makers will eventually fail because you can buy a cheaper car. its utter nonsense. some of use have apple because not only is the device superb its a quality built product not just cheap plastic filled with gimics like the s4
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      Nice to have options for sure but, agree with you on S3 size, we have the iPad mini for that...
      I don't want an iPad mini. I want a phone that has a bigger screen than the current iPhone5. It doesn't have to be exactly as big as the S3 but I want it a little bit wider than the i5.
    1. nienque's Avatar
      nienque -
      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      If they offer a phone with a screen comparable in size to the S3, I'll stay with iPhone.
      That'd be my nightmare, if they did a 3.5 inch budget phone and only offered a properly spec'd phone with a jumbo screen. That's when I wouldn't stay with iPhone, cause I can already barely hold my iP5 in one hand (I am a pretty small woman ). If they do start offering different sizes (which I doubt, cause of fragmentation issues), I should hope they don't make the smaller phone a sh*tty one.
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Would someone mind explaining the "fragmentation" issue that might arise if they offer different sizes? I don't really understand what that is about.
    1. nienque's Avatar
      nienque -
      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      Would someone mind explaining the "fragmentation" issue that might arise if they offer different sizes? I don't really understand what that is about.
      Developers would have to make graphics suited to different screen sizes and qualities. So special images for non-retina iPhone, for retina iPhone and for iPhone 5. Add another different screen size and it might require developers to make even more custom images. Lots of my apps haven't even been adapted for iPhone 5 yet, and it's been like half a year.

      Though Apple is Apple, I suppose, and if they really want to release a jumbo phone, I doubt this issue is going to stop them But I, personally, see little need.
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Quote Originally Posted by nienque View Post
      Developers would have to make graphics suited to different screen sizes and qualities. So special images for non-retina iPhone, for retina iPhone and for iPhone 5. Add another different screen size and it might require developers to make even more custom images. Lots of my apps haven't even been adapted for iPhone 5 yet, and it's been like half a year.

      Though Apple is Apple, I suppose, and if they really want to release a jumbo phone, I doubt this issue is going to stop them But I, personally, see little need.
      Gotcha. Thanks for that.
    1. ProfessorJack's Avatar
      ProfessorJack -
      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      I don't want an iPad mini. I want a phone that has a bigger screen than the current iPhone5. It doesn't have to be exactly as big as the S3 but I want it a little bit wider than the i5.
      Yep spot on +10000000
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      REPORT: No it won't
    1. Rondon360's Avatar
      Rondon360 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      I don't want an iPad mini. I want a phone that has a bigger screen than the current iPhone5. It doesn't have to be exactly as big as the S3 but I want it a little bit wider than the i5.
      +1
    1. Villebilly's Avatar
      Villebilly -
      Why don't they just poll iphone owners and find out what we want. Personally I would only want a tiny bit bigger and I love the current slimness.
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Doesn't the fragmentation issue come up because of iPad and iPhone being different sizes already?
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      Doesn't the fragmentation issue come up because of iPad and iPhone being different sizes already?
      It does. That's why you see apps specifically made for iPad. If this rumor is true, we will see apps for iPhone 4/4S, apps for iPhone 5/5S-1, for iPhone 5S-2, iPad and iPad mini. So each app would have to have 5 variations. Not a big deal as each app now has 4 variations anyway.