• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Roughly Half of Android Users Won't Get Facebook Home due to Fragmentation


    During the unveiling of Facebook Home, Mark Zuckerberg said that the “openness” of Google’s Android platform is what made the Home experience possible. What wasn’t mentioned was the fact that due to the fragmented nature of the Android market, nearly half of all Android users won’t even be able to run its new Home feature to begin with.

    Facebook Home won’t run on Android 2.3 Gingerbread or lower, a fact which was revealed in a question-and-answer session following Home’s unveiling. Gingerbread, which was initially released in February of 2011, is still the Android version for roughly 40% of the Android install base according to Google’s most recent figures. Roughly 7% run an even older version of the operating system.

    The other roughly 53% of Android devices running either version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or versions 4.1 and 4.2 Jelly Bean will supposedly be able to run Facebook Home but not until sometime after its launch. Zuckerberg pointed out both during and after the Home presentation that the launch will be reserved to six devices initially which include: the HTC One and One X, Samsung Galaxy S III, S4, Note II, and the recently revealed HTC First, which is said to be optimized for the Facebook home experience. It was also mentioned that the launcher won’t be available for Android tablets until sometime after its launch as well.

    Facebook Home was said to better suited for Google since Apple controls both the hardware and software underlying its iOS devices, therefore having a much smaller set of configurations to develop for. Unfortunately, Google makes Android available to a wide array of manufacturers and some of them are diligent in updating their devices to recent versions of Android but a large number aren’t. Due to either technical limitations or fiscal infeasibility, hundreds of millions of Android devices are running a now two-year outdated version of the operating system.

    This fragmentation among the Android install base has proved to be a significant problem for Android developers as they have to program their apps not only to account for a vast array of hardware configurations but also to account for 40% of their potential audience using a two year old operating system. Google has taken some steps to address the fragmentation issue but the issue remains at large. In the meantime, Facebook Home seems like it would be very limited.

    Source: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Roughly Half of Android Users Won't Get Facebook Home due to Fragmentation started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 61 Comments
    1. Mohit555's Avatar
      Mohit555 -
      Quote Originally Posted by IP IE ID IR O View Post
      Google Plus Becomes World's No. 2 Social Network After Facebook, Knocking Off Twitter

      ^

      Officially leaving this forum lol. Get your facts straight my dude.
      Wow! As i said, google is really good at copying stuff! Atleast twitter was original.
      And i hope u mean modmyi forum completely. It'll be a better place without u.
    1. elkyelky's Avatar
      elkyelky -
      Quote Originally Posted by IP IE ID IR O View Post
      You wait months for a jailbreak, we wait mere hours for root and we flash away. It's an extremely easy process, how about you try it yourself? You obviously never owned an android phone before, and you obviously haven't tried the latest jellybean OS.

      Get back to me when iOS 7 comes out and finally allows you to move your icons where you want without a jailbreak lol.

      It's ok if you like living in Apple's closed garden, thats no problem.

      I remember being a hardcore apple fanboy like you thinking that Android is such a weak OS. I was dead wrong when I switched. Never looking back to iOS until it plays catch up with Androids open garden of widgets,launchers,customization,tweaks, etc. The list goes on.

      You don't have to agree with me, which I know you won't.

      It's my opinion and you have your own too.

      Me- The person who played with both OS's for months and owned 2 smartphones with each OS.
      You- Owned every apple product, and probably played with android a few times in your life.



      LOL Siri. You call that innovation? Google Now has more fluid, faster, and better features/response time than Siri. It's been proven. YouTube my friend.

      Pausing a video by looking away? Something iPhone's can't do.

      Lmao I am done. Duecesssss

      http://mycolorscreen.com/mostviewed/

      That is all you need to see to see how truly open android is. ^^^
      +1.
    1. bry2k2's Avatar
      bry2k2 -
      You need to do alot more research on your comments

      Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
      Having to wait months for a jailbreak sucks.
      But its good to know that the device that we're carrying almost all our life's information on is so secure and so hard to break..! right cuz there hasn't been 3, count them 3 security breaches involved in bypassing the iOS lock screenThat it takes a big group of hardcore developers MONTHS to penetrate it security walls. You see why its so easy to corrupt or infect an android?

      Yeah ure right, i havent used androids much because the experience of even those few times has been sad. Yeah i can customize a lot more but the finesse is lacking. expand further on finesse is lacking

      And personally, i dont have any issues with that cuz i anyway jailbreak all my devices.

      Coming on to your second argument, first try and define innovation.
      Google has a tendency to basically either copy, or if it cant, then buy features. Innovation isnt just lacking, its still unseen. Youtube, android, mail, voice. Its a long list.

      Siri actually was innovation cuz it added a virtual assistant with a very strong personality for the first time phones which actually did more than call the wrong person!

      Apple didn't invent Siri, they bought the company that built it, then shut off its ability to work on the iphone 4 when it was already functioning on it as an app before apple bought them. innovation? how about forcing its users to buy its new hardware to use a function that was previously free.

      And then google did what its best at doing. Copy!

      guess that means everyone who builds a car is copying the first person who invented the card?

      Its just pathetic that you follow followers.

      Then why are you with Apple? they are behind in nearly every mainstream technology that the competition has out for at least a year or more.


      I prefer following the pioneers.. The leaders.
      I have my ifaith. Seems like u sold it to the green gunk in return for a weather widget widgets, oh you mean that feature that apple has recently implemented ... I mean copied, in its recent versions of ioson the lockscreen.
      M out.
    1. IP IE ID IR O's Avatar
      IP IE ID IR O -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      You need to do alot more research on your comments
      Lmao damn right, you hit it spot on my friend *high five*
    1. rickuk's Avatar
      rickuk -
      At least half of all Android users will be able to run it, unlike the 100% of Apple users who won't be able to due to Apple being so restrictive
    1. Hondamaker's Avatar
      Hondamaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      There is just as much "fragmentation" in the iOS field, older devices are left in the dark on future OS releases because Apple "feels" it won't run right, when through jailbreaking and hacking it has been proven otherwise.
      "Just as much"? Are you nuts? Or just dumb?

      Quote Originally Posted by IP IE ID IR O View Post
      You wait months for a jailbreak, we wait mere hours for root and we flash away. It's an extremely easy process, how about you try it yourself? You obviously never owned an android phone before, and you obviously haven't tried the latest jellybean OS.

      Get back to me when iOS 7 comes out and finally allows you to move your icons where you want without a jailbreak lol.

      It's ok if you like living in Apple's closed garden, thats no problem.

      I remember being a hardcore apple fanboy like you thinking that Android is such a weak OS. I was dead wrong when I switched. Never looking back to iOS until it plays catch up with Androids open garden of widgets,launchers,customization,tweaks, etc. The list goes on.

      You don't have to agree with me, which I know you won't.

      It's my opinion and you have your own too.

      Me- The person who played with both OS's for months and owned 2 smartphones with each OS.
      You- Owned every apple product, and probably played with android a few times in your life.



      LOL Siri. You call that innovation? Google Now has more fluid, faster, and better features/response time than Siri. It's been proven. YouTube my friend.

      Pausing a video by looking away? Something iPhone's can't do.

      Lmao I am done. Duecesssss

      http://mycolorscreen.com/mostviewed/

      That is all you need to see to see how truly open android is. ^^^
      Pausing a video by looking away? Who cares about crap like that? Android has so many useless features. No wonder it lags and freezes. I'll take quality over quantity any time.
    1. pyroemaniac's Avatar
      pyroemaniac -
      And then google did what its best at doing. Copy!
      Its just pathetic that you follow followers.
      I prefer following the pioneers.. The leaders.
      I have my ifaith. Seems like u sold it to the green gunk in return for a weather widget on the lockscreen.
      M out.
      I haven't seen apple pioneer anything in a long time. Back on "iOS" 1.0 us tinkerers made a place to download and share apps because apple hadn't felt the need for them. That place was called Installer. Version 2.0 of "IOS" comes out and the "new" and "revolutionary" app store was revealed.

      Moving on, when the iPhone was born it had less functionality than most other phones. Like built in notes or even a calender. Than apple "innovated" those apps and sold them for a $10 upgrade until later made free.

      There are plenty of other examples but I'll sum it up with a couple major ones.

      Siri wasn't created by apple, it was bought and was actually almost bought by Verizon to be put on flagship android devices.

      The IOS notification center is a blatant rip off of the android pull down notification, if you don't think so you are in denial.

      Apple is known to put old parts in a shine body and charge premium prices. You will always have old hardware For more than the newest hardware.

      Also you think that all of your apple products are more secure but what you fail to realize is that the methods used on Mac and iOS are harder to find and protect against because of the closed source nature of the OS.
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hondamaker View Post
      Pausing a video by looking away? Who cares about crap like that? Android has so many useless features. No wonder it lags and freezes. I'll take quality over quantity any time.
      You may think its a useless feature but some may not. I think its pretty cool. I dont know how many times I start watching something and thats the time my GF wants to start chatting. Have to keep pausing it. Seems like a neat little addition. At least with Android they try to come up with other features that give you options and choice. What "features" has Apple added lately?
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      Android is much more fragmented... period. We know all you fandroids really love Apple products! You must since so many of you frequent this Apple products forum. It's OK, we understand your love for all things Apple.
    1. bbrks's Avatar
      bbrks -
      Give me a sec to grab a beer, lol, this is beautiful. I am just wondering, will it ever end. Well, for sure, no and Apple and Google will increase and increase their profits and you will still fight over such a marginal gadget, called phone. ......pathetic
    1. IP IE ID IR O's Avatar
      IP IE ID IR O -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      Android is much more fragmented... period. We know all you fandroids really love Apple products! You must since so many of you frequent this Apple products forum. It's OK, we understand your love for all things Apple.

      I am on this forum because I used to own an iPhone. Sold it and got an android instead though, and I occasionally come back to check up on my work. I used to make icons for themes as you can tell from my amounts of thanks <---

      Anyways, I don't blame ya. Android is much more fragmented, but that is if you let it be. When shopping for an android phone, why would you buy a low end one? Buy the latest and greatest and it should run 99.9% of all the apps on the playstore (besides tablets ones obviously). Update for your device waiting to long? Get a Nexus device. Don't want a Nexus device? Simply root, flash, and boom. You're up to date and it took a few minutes.

      People think flashing and rooting ruins the experience, as if you have to find a back road to update to the latest android OS, but when you think of it, Google WANTS you to root, and toy around with its OS. It's open source FOR A REASON. With Apple, they push out as many software updates as they can just to block a jailbreak. For Google, they don't care! Go ahead and root your phone. No big deal, it's YOUR phone. It's like buying a computer and the computer manufacture tells you what you can do and not do on YOUR computer. lolwut?
    1. 5kylar's Avatar
      5kylar -
      Once you have your iPhone jailbroken it's so much better than a droid. And really you only gotta JB once a year, and thats if you wanna keep up with the current iOS. Also I have never broken an iPhone. Dropped em soaked em, nothing, still good as gold. My Galaxy S2X gets wet for a minute and gone, out like a damn light. So I would say Apple is better overall though it does have it's flaws. And thank god that FB Home BS isn't coming to plague our iOS's anytime soon.. Hopefully never
    1. bigbaba's Avatar
      bigbaba -
      Quote Originally Posted by apristel View Post
      Thank you. I totally expected to see total apple fanboy responses to this article. I look forward to trying FB Home on my GNII!
      This site was originally called "modmyiphone.com". I think you're terribly lost friend. Maybe you should use your GNII to find a more appropriate site to troll.
    1. gehjl's Avatar
      gehjl -
      Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
      Once you have your iPhone jailbroken it's so much better than a droid. And really you only gotta JB once a year, and thats if you wanna keep up with the current iOS. Also I have never broken an iPhone. Dropped em soaked em, nothing, still good as gold. My Galaxy S2X gets wet for a minute and gone, out like a damn light. So I would say Apple is better overall though it does have it's flaws. And thank god that FB Home BS isn't coming to plague our iOS's anytime soon.. Hopefully never
      Oh you mean all those jailbreak tweaks that let your phone do what an Android phone can do out of the box? Take a gander through Cydia and see how many tweaks are made to let you do what an Android phone can do, then take a look at an Android developer website and see how many tweaks we have that let us do what an iPhone can do.

      I've owned ~4-5 Android phones and have yet to break one? Never put cases on them either. Stop using it like a moron and you won't have a problem.

      As for the topic on hand, yes there is a lot of fragmentation because there is a large variety of android phones, covering every price point. If you don't want a problem with fragmentation, spend 200-300 to get a top of the line Android phone (comparable to iPhone prices) and you won't have a problem. Ie, GS3, One X, One, Note 2, Nexus 4, etc. It's just stupid to use the free with contract phones as "oMg, itz soo lagy!one lulz android 2.1".
    1. bigbaba's Avatar
      bigbaba -
      Quote Originally Posted by IP IE ID IR O View Post
      I can get an android device and root it with ease, and simply flash as many custom OS's I want on it. Don't even say that iOS has innovation, because it is truly lacking.
      With ease? My E975 LG Optimus G has been out since October 2012. It is now April 2013 (that's 7 months). If I want a custom ROM I'll lose my camera! Also if I choose to sacrifice my camera, my phone will freeze requiring a hard reboot when I get a notification.

      At least jailbreaking my iPhone doesn't neuter it.

      Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
      Oh you mean all those jailbreak tweaks that let your phone do what an Android phone can do out of the box? Take a gander through Cydia and see how many tweaks are made to let you do what an Android phone can do, then take a look at an Android developer website and see how many tweaks we have that let us do what an iPhone can do.
      Actually if you looked at that android developer you'd see if writes his tweaks for ios first, then ports it over to android. ChompSMS vs BiteSMS anyone?

      Also the power widget is a blatant rip off of SBSettings, barrel had screen transitions way before android launchers did...the list goes on.
    1. iRevival's Avatar
      iRevival -
      Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
      There is just as much "fragmentation" in the iOS field, older devices are left in the dark on future OS releases because Apple "feels" it won't run right, when through jailbreaking and hacking it has been proven otherwise.
      There isn't anywhere close to the same amount of fragmentation. If you buy an iOS device that was released anytime in the last 3 years at least, you can run almost anything that has been released.

      Nearly 300 Million Devices Running iOS 6, 60% of All iOS Devices Ever - Mac Rumors
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      This is modmyi. Go to xda. Dumba$$es.
    1. IP IE ID IR O's Avatar
      IP IE ID IR O -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
      With ease? My E975 LG Optimus G has been out since October 2012. It is now April 2013 (that's 7 months). If I want a custom ROM I'll lose my camera! Also if I choose to sacrifice my camera, my phone will freeze requiring a hard reboot when I get a notification.

      At least jailbreaking my iPhone doesn't neuter it.



      Actually if you looked at that android developer you'd see if writes his tweaks for ios first, then ports it over to android. ChompSMS vs BiteSMS anyone?

      Also the power widget is a blatant rip off of SBSettings, barrel had screen transitions way before android launchers did...the list goes on.

      The power widget has been implemented to android long before so settings LOL.

      And launchers did not copy barrel Lmao!! And if anything, launchers on android support MORE animations. And no it doesn't kill battery.

      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      This is modmyi. Go to xda. Dumba$$es.
      AWH I'm sorry that I go on both forums. My bad!
    1. gehjl's Avatar
      gehjl -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
      With ease? My E975 LG Optimus G has been out since October 2012. It is now April 2013 (that's 7 months). If I want a custom ROM I'll lose my camera! Also if I choose to sacrifice my camera, my phone will freeze requiring a hard reboot when I get a notification.

      At least jailbreaking my iPhone doesn't neuter it.



      Actually if you looked at that android developer you'd see if writes his tweaks for ios first, then ports it over to android. ChompSMS vs BiteSMS anyone?

      Also the power widget is a blatant rip off of SBSettings, barrel had screen transitions way before android launchers did...the list goes on.

      Rooting your phone will never neuter it. Adding a new custom ROM, is a different story. You're putting an entirely modified operating system on there. Try doing an engine swap in a car and see how issue-less it really is. There are always ROMs that are the same as stock, with less bloat, quicker, better battery life, and will not cripple anything.

      And you still didn't disprove my point. iPhone still needs to be jailbroken to do things that an Android phone does out of the box. And you managed to find one tweak....that's made by the same developer, how shocking that it came on Android after!

      You mean to tell me that having a widget that easily lets me switch settings is a blatant rip off of sbsettinggs? You're stretching it a bit too far there buddy, it's just common sense that the widget would exist. There's a widget for everything else! The probability of there being a widget that controls settings is pretty darn high.
    1. WhizZz's Avatar
      WhizZz -
      Quote Originally Posted by IP IE ID IR O;6823900
      LOL Siri. You call that innovation? Google Now has more fluid, faster, and better features/response time than Siri. It's been proven. YouTube my friend.

      Pausing a video by looking away? Something iPhone's can't do.

      Lmao I am done. Duecesssss :sexyparrot:

      [url
      View Post
      http://mycolorscreen.com/mostviewed/[/url]

      That is all you need to see to see how truly open android is. ^^^
      Android side:
      Listen to song on Youtube,
      Look away,
      Song paused.

      Apple side:
      Listen to song on Youtube,
      Look away,
      Song still playing.

      Where is the time when we fight between Mac OS X tiger and Windows Vista?