• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 4 Activation Without Original SIM Card
    Also works on iPhone 3GS and 3G.

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA1bb9C7vNU]YouTube - iPhone Activation without original sim -)[/ame]


    Sherif Hashim has posted a video in which he demonstrates how simple it is to activate the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G, without using the original SIM card that comes stocked. You can literally use any SIM card you want, however, you should keep in mind that any iPhone 4 users will be required to cut the SIM into a micro-SIM sized card.

    Now before you get all excited, this does NOT mean the phone will be unlocked. This simply activates the iPhone. This is very similar to "hacktivating" the phone, much like we do when creating custom firmware packages. Without doing so, you're stuck on the emergency screen, essentially locking you out of the Phone for any use.

    There is no programming needed, so almost anyone can do this without the technical knowledge that one might think would be required. While I don't fully understand how this works, this is what Sherif has to say:

    instead of telling everyone who hasn't got the original sim that activation of the iphone is easy using a phonebook sim card, i made this video to show u all how it works , Use any phonebook sim card, they are there in radioshak, mobile phone shops or any mobile tech moles , any phone book simcard will do the trick, no need for programmable sims, all those phonebook sims used to save ur contacts and transfer them have a universal ICCIDs preprogrammed so they all work
    Follow the video and try it out yourself and let us know how it worked out.

    To all those asking, I use this one Phone book Test card from DITS - Cdma Gsm Forum Mygsmindia. Yet, I used three other types and all work the same
    Sherif is the same fellow who found the exploit to unock 05.12.01 / 05.13.04 baseband on iPhones running iOS 4, so you can imagine what is coming soon.

    Stay tuned.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 4 Activation Without Original SIM Card started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 274 Comments
    1. lbd2005's Avatar
      lbd2005 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Budweis View Post
      The Phone was box sealed and delivered without SIM card. I brought a card at ebay.

      The phone was sold via Apples US online store.
      can you use it to an iphone in another country?like here in the Philippines (iphone globe unit)?
    1. Budweis's Avatar
      Budweis -
      Quote Originally Posted by lbd2005 View Post
      i can guarantee you that this kind of sim can activate your iphone including iphone4...tried and tested already...
      Maybe - but not my Iphone 4. Trust me, I used a lot of time on this issue. I dont think this activation cards can open phones brought from Apple US. Please read the discussion in this forum. I am not the only one with this problem.
    1. lbd2005's Avatar
      lbd2005 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Budweis View Post
      Maybe - but not my Iphone 4. Trust me, I used a lot of time on this issue. I dont think this activation cards can open phones brought from Apple US. Please read the discussion in this forum. I am not the only one with this problem.
      i tried it already with my friends iphone bought in the US just a while ago and it works...btw, im using the one sim not the phonebook...i have here at&t sim and one sim all the sim works thats why i conclude that this one sim can activate may all iphone...i already tested iphone from GERMANY, KOREA, USA AND dont know the other phone....
    1. Budweis's Avatar
      Budweis -
      Quote Originally Posted by lbd2005 View Post
      i tried it already with my friends iphone bought in the US just a while ago and it works...btw, im using the one sim not the phonebook...i have here at&t sim and one sim all the sim works thats why i conclude that this one sim can activate may all iphone...i already tested iphone from GERMANY, KOREA, USA AND dont know the other phone....
      Where is your phone brought in the US? There are 2 kinds of Iphone 4's in the US, one that is bought through Apple and one that is bought through another party like AT&T or Bestbuy. The iphone 4's that come direct from any Apple store are lock-ed to the original account holders ID (SS# etc), the other kind are not locked in the same way. I dont think the Phonebook card can activate the phone if it is locked to the sellers account.

      Please see posting #123. Kiba283s video shows exactly what happens. I tried with two different activation cards same result.
    1. lbd2005's Avatar
      lbd2005 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Budweis View Post
      Where is your phone brought in the US? There are 2 kinds of Iphone 4's in the US, one that is bought through Apple and one that is bought through another party like AT&T or Bestbuy. The iphone 4's that come direct from any Apple store are lock-ed to the original account holders ID (SS# etc), the other kind are not locked in the same way. I dont think the Phonebook card can activate the phone if it is locked to the sellers account.

      Please see posting #123. Kiba283s video shows exactly what happens. I tried with two different activation cards same result.
      that i donnot know...all i know is that his iphone 4 coming from the US...hehehehe...maybe im wrong...but hopefully this sim card can activate...
    1. Budweis's Avatar
      Budweis -
      Quote Originally Posted by lbd2005 View Post
      can you use it to an iphone in another country?like here in the Philippines (iphone globe unit)?
      I will guess so. There are a lot of videos showing that the activation cards are working, but there seems to be a problem with the phones from Apple US.
    1. lbd2005's Avatar
      lbd2005 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Budweis View Post
      I will guess so. There are a lot of videos showing that the activation cards are working, but there seems to be a problem with the phones from Apple US.
      maybe youre right bro coz you experienced it already...hopefully, wont encounter that kind of problem here in the PHilippines...
    1. clementwms's Avatar
      clementwms -
      How do you activate a iphone 4 from retailed apple store
      Could you use the attt card unactivated?
      Could you give me a link to buy one, the cheapest 1
    1. bbtlegit's Avatar
      bbtlegit -
      My phone is locked on the home screen please help i cant even power on or off.
    1. lbd2005's Avatar
      lbd2005 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bbtlegit View Post
      My phone is locked on the home screen please help i cant even power on or off.
      push home and off button at the same time and wait until the iphone is off and turn it on again...
    1. kiba283's Avatar
      kiba283 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rlsolomon View Post
      This I don't understand - why not get the info from your "Uncle" and just enter it? Unless he had no intention of honoring the 2yr contract he signed with AT&T, that should have got the phone up and running.
      Exactly - he doesn't want to sign up with AT&T, he just wanted the phone and was waiting for the JB to release so he could use it on Verizon.


      Quote Originally Posted by besirovic View Post
      M8 please tell me did you get SIM card inside iPhone 4 or you had to get pay as go SIM card? Was your iPhone box sealed or opened?
      It came with a SIM Card.
    1. birricoddo's Avatar
      birricoddo -
      Hi!
      I have an AT&T prepaid card bought 2 years ago in a trip in USA.
      It's expired for sure.
      Will work?
    1. Consigliere's Avatar
      Consigliere -
      I have a 32gb 3gs just restored to ios 4.0.1. Went out and found the DITS phonebook sim in the video. I can confirm that it DOES NOT WORK to activete the phone as advertised. I have 2 of these sims, neither worked.


      Phonebook SIM NOT working for activation
    1. Mzungu's Avatar
      Mzungu -
      IT WORKS!!!!
      got the phonebook sim card, tried on my 3Gs (european) with 4.0.1
      activated, jailbroken and now unlocked.

      sherif, you deserve a monument :P
    1. yo388's Avatar
      yo388 -
      ok so i cut my sim into microsim and iphone 4 detects it ....but it doesnt activate it ...it says no service at top and when i connect o itunes it says activating and thats it...this is the same sim i use on my 3gs to activate...its the DITs 3 in 1 phonebook sim card
    1. area51crypto's Avatar
      area51crypto -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ngmead View Post
      Not everyone in the world speaks english and not everyone can speak it that good. Deal with it.
      Yea I am born and raised in the USA and so is my wife but she can't understand a word I tell her!
    1. Varmit's Avatar
      Varmit -
      So basically, a iphone 4 that was purchased by someone who resigned up for another 2 year contract, and the phone is tied to their AT&T account, with the zip code and SS# screen in itunes. It has to be activated by them. There is no way around it?
    1. area51crypto's Avatar
      area51crypto -
      Quote Originally Posted by yo388 View Post
      ok so i cut my sim into microsim and iphone 4 detects it ....but it doesnt activate it ...it says no service at top and when i connect o itunes it says activating and thats it...this is the same sim i use on my 3gs to activate...its the DITs 3 in 1 phonebook sim card
      Ok what happens when you disconnect the iphone 4 from your computer?
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      Now that there is a jailbreak for the iPhone 4 I decided to restore it and see which SIMs would activate it.

      I'm in the U.S. my iPhone 4 was purchased in the U.S. and is still under contract with AT&T. The phone was purchased directly from AT&T.

      I restored the iPhone 4 with an inactive AT&T SIM in it and it activated it.

      I restored the iPhone 4 with an inactive Cingular SIM in it and it activated it.

      I restored the iPhone 4 with an O2 (Best Buy) SIM in it and it activated it.

      Since I have multiple iPhone 4s I plan on canceling the contract on one and retesting all these SIMs to see if a contract has anything to do with it.

      One will be canceled on the 18th, I'll try to update this with results.


      EDIT---------------------------------------------------------------------

      Canceled one of my iPhone 4s and it says no service now. Restored with 4.0.1 and a Best Buy O2 SIM installed, then an inactive Cingular SIM installed, and a different AT&T SIM installed, and they all activated the phone just fine with the use of TinyUmbrella.
    1. dpanet's Avatar
      dpanet -
      I'm facing the same Issue, white screen when connected to iTunes using spirit micro sim, I have used two cards and they gave me the same result.

      So I bought a device off someone in ebay, that turned out to be useless, hmm, thankfully i'm not the only one.