• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • TinyUmbrella Updated - Save Your SHSH Files!
    With the new iOS 4.1 update around the corner, it is more important than ever to back up your SHSH files to ensure that you will be able to downgrade to 4.0 after the new update has been released.

    TinyUmbrella, a handy application which allows you to both save your SHSH files and also use them to downgrade, isn't new - but it has been updated with performance improvements and a nice big GUI upgrade. More information on the improvements and the new features can be found at the developers blog, here. With 4.1 right around the corner, we figured now's a good time to remind everyone.



    A recent tweet from @planetbeing stresses the importance to back up your SHSH Blobs before updating to the new 4.1 firmware.



    Saving your SHSH Blobs using TinyUmbrella is very easy, and takes hardly any time at all. One of the advantages of using TinyUmbrella to save your SHSH is that it bypasses the need for a jailbroken device. Also, when downgrading a device, TinyUmbrella sets up its own virtual server on your machine, and tells iTunes to connect to it via your hosts file. All this is automated and separate from the Cydia server, making it a lot simpler to downgrade. Because your SHSH files are saved locally, you may also back them up yourself, as oppose to them being stored on a server somewhere where you can't access them.

    TinyUmbrella can be downloaded from here.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: TinyUmbrella Updated - Save Your SHSH Files! started by Owen Priestley View original post
    Comments 272 Comments
    1. lunercrab's Avatar
      lunercrab -
      Well i called around all morning and finally found a best buy that had the phones in stock about 20 miles away...got there, got it and was able to get home in time to save my blobs...sweet...
    1. General Klinger's Avatar
      General Klinger -
      Ran it and I am good to go
    1. jamriman's Avatar
      jamriman -
      Quote Originally Posted by JLEW700 View Post
      Why cant I install the umbrella tool on mine or my girlfriends computer? It asks me to enter my password so that it can write to my HD but it never accepts the password, I get the same "tool requires that you type a password." screen over and over.

      I got the same issue.
    1. warnera82's Avatar
      warnera82 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      DOH! Thanks dude. Should have caught that!

      And what's funny is that you hammer other people for not reading the readme and the website. Maybe you should get off your high horse. Just my opinion.
    1. z3r01's Avatar
      z3r01 -
      Code:
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Processing SHSH Request... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Asking CYDIA for SHSH blobs for iPhone4 4.0 (8A293)... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 SHSH SUCCESSFULLY saved! [Click Here to Open] 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 You have saved your SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. 
      This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version. 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Caching shsh files... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Found [1] shsh files to cache... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Cached [1] shsh files
      im guessing im good
    1. ipod touch u's Avatar
      ipod touch u -
      Quote Originally Posted by UTPharmer View Post
      WAIT until the file finishes downloading...Dumbass

      (I did the same thing, but I didn't ask a stupid question on a forum. You've been called out.)
      Well seeing how the file has been finished downloading since last night and i'm STILL getting the same error, i think your dumb *** response wasn't needed here since your obviously wrong.
    1. Chuck1969's Avatar
      Chuck1969 -
      Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
      Code:
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Processing SHSH Request... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Asking CYDIA for SHSH blobs for iPhone4 4.0 (8A293)... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 SHSH SUCCESSFULLY saved! [Click Here to Open] 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 You have saved your SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. 
      This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version. 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Caching shsh files... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Found [1] shsh files to cache... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Cached [1] shsh files
      im guessing im good
      Yep...me too! Just got home and was hoping I could still do it!
    1. iLaw-One's Avatar
      iLaw-One -
      Quote Originally Posted by JLEW700 View Post
      So I got tinyumbrella to save my shsh blobs and it says "click here to open" but when i click nothing happens, anybody know what to do?
      If you haven't saved it (by clicking the 'save my SHSH button')it may already be too late as Apple has stopped signing the blobs.

      Quote Originally Posted by JLEW700 View Post
      Why cant I install the umbrella tool on mine or my girlfriends computer? It asks me to enter my password so that it can write to my HD but it never accepts the password, I get the same "tool requires that you type a password." screen over and over.

      I'm guessing you just clicked on the file after unzipping...if you'd dragged or copied it onto your desktop and then clicked on it, you'd've only had to enter your password once...it helps when you read posts from previous contributors on any article on here, as an issue you may be having may already have been encountered by someone else and a solution proffered.


      Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
      Code:
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Processing SHSH Request... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Asking CYDIA for SHSH blobs for iPhone4 4.0 (8A293)... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 SHSH SUCCESSFULLY saved! [Click Here to Open] 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 You have saved your SHSH locally and the request was sent to CYDIA. 
      This means that CYDIA DOES have your SHSH. Do NOT bug semaphore about the Cydia home page showing this version. 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Caching shsh files... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Found [1] shsh files to cache... 
      07/15/2010 18:28:39.864 Cached [1] shsh files
      im guessing im good

      Yep...you are good!
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      I did mine today when I woke up. I put it off to long but it said 4.0 cleared for me so I really hope that it was actually 4.0.
    1. StormRoBoT's Avatar
      StormRoBoT -
      Quote Originally Posted by jamriman View Post
      I got the same issue.
      using mac?

      Quote Originally Posted by dakomo View Post
      Very easy!!


      how long dose it take to appear on cydia?
    1. mj0528's Avatar
      mj0528 -
      i just updated to 4.0.1 on my i4. I went to save my shsh for 4.0.1 aftewards but it says it's an ipad and successfully saved my shsh's for 3.2. WTF?
    1. hrodr2004's Avatar
      hrodr2004 -
      hi guys! i'm confused, Can i save my shsh file for 4.0 even though i'm on 3.1.3 FW.
    1. chaotik99's Avatar
      chaotik99 -
      I have successfully saved my shsh files for my iphone4 and ipad on cydia using my Mac, but after I disconnected both devices I am unable to find the files locally. When I click on the TU that says open, nothing happens. Reconnecting the device did not help. Want to back up these files locally. I have been unable to locate these files. Any idea where they may be locally stored?
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Probably not anymore. But you can for 4.0.1. Run tiny umbrella.
    1. bhz1's Avatar
      bhz1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by chaotik99 View Post
      I have successfully saved my shsh files for my iphone4 and ipad on cydia using my Mac, but after I disconnected both devices I am unable to find the files locally. When I click on the TU that says open, nothing happens. Reconnecting the device did not help. Want to back up these files locally. I have been unable to locate these files. Any idea where they may be locally stored?
      They are in a hidden folder. Open Finder and press shift-command-g enter /Users/your user name/.shsh
    1. mj0528's Avatar
      mj0528 -
      looks like tiny umbrella doesn't support 4.0.1 yet per his site. i got ipad 3.2 shsh backs when trying to backup 4.0.1.
    1. chaotik99's Avatar
      chaotik99 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
      They are in a hidden folder. Open Finder and press shift-command-g enter /Users/your user name/.shsh
      Thanks! Found them...
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      The iPad is not on 4.0 yet.
    1. mj0528's Avatar
      mj0528 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
      The iPad is not on 4.0 yet.
      no, this was trying to backup shsh on i4 4.0.1. I get ipad shsh backups. Using umbrella-4.00.80 to backup. Am i doing something wrong? I have 4.0 backed up but want both of them just in case.
    1. segma98's Avatar
      segma98 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dakomo View Post
      Very easy!!


      how did u get cydia showing the "4" blob? r u running ios 4?
      thnx