• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone4 Has New Baseband OS, ultrasn0w Will Need Rewrite


    The DevTeam and others have been checking through the iPhone 4, and have noticed the baseband runs a completely different OS than on previous models. The iPhone 3G and 3G[S] both ran Nucleus OS on the PMB8878 baseband CPU (aka XGold 608), where the iPhone 2G ran the PMB8876 (aka S-Gold 2). iPhone 4 uses the PMB9800, or X-Gold 618 - running a separate OS - ThreadX, an RTOS by ExpressLogic.

    UPDATE 06/29/2010 - After chatting with planetbeing today, I figured I'd add some specifics here. ThreadX is an RTOS. An RTOS is a Real Time Operating System, and in the iPhone 4's case, manages the baseband processor. This is a separate application processor than used by the main OS in the iPhone. The baseband handles the cell radio stuff - phone calls, 3G, etc. Anything using your cellular connection. Sometimes it has the GPS stuff too, although according to David Wang (aka planetbeing, from the DevTeam), it doesn't look like it does any GPS managing in this version - at least the OS treats it separately.

    Says David,

    ...then it gets rather technical. The baseband is segregated from the main applications processor and communicates with it over i2s, spi, and uart lines. The main processor controls it with (primarily) AT commands over some other transport protocol over the SPI and UART. When you're in a call, the BBP communicates directly with the audio codec over i2s so even if the main OS is freezing up, the call will still go on uninterrupted.

    The other advantage is security since if someone cracks iOS, the BBP is still separate. The two don't share any memory, so that's a security advantage.
    There's no indication of why Apple moved from Nucleus over to ThreadX, although they obviously had a reason strong enough to leave what they'd been using the past few generations of their flagship device.

    What's all that mean to you?

    Basically, once the iPhone 4 is jailbroken, the unlock won't be an immediate release. iOS4 is already un-lockable using ultrasn0w 0.93 on the earlier iPhone models, but the payload will need to be rewritten for iPhone 4 once an exploit is discovered in the new baseband OS. Hopefully the port itself will have introduced some. No way to estimate any sort of timeline until further investigating is done.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone4 Has New Baseband OS, ultrasn0w Will Need Rewrite started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 118 Comments
    1. relkorama's Avatar
      relkorama -
      I am curious...since Apple will be releasing "Factory Unlocked for Life" iPhone in various countries...can't someone just copy the programming from that iPhone and then re-install it on another one to make that one "Factory Unlocked"?

      Or, is unlocking a phone not as simple as copying a software program?
    1. wakka102's Avatar
      wakka102 -
      I have full faith in the debs. They have never failed to deliver on any previous os or hardware. This will be no exception. Every system has holes. It's just a matter of how hard they can be to find
    1. Kenny3Stacks's Avatar
      Kenny3Stacks -
      Good news for the jailbreak. Could care less about the unlock..
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by relkorama View Post
      I am curious...since Apple will be releasing "Factory Unlocked for Life" iPhone in various countries...can't someone just copy the programming from that iPhone and then re-install it on another one to make that one "Factory Unlocked"?

      Or, is unlocking a phone not as simple as copying a software program?
      And where did Apple say something about Factory Unlocked for Life? And no it is not that easy. They already do unlocks in other countries and sell unlocked phones. So if it could be done it would have already been done.
    1. domthebigbomb's Avatar
      domthebigbomb -
      Quote Originally Posted by rico3459 View Post
      Hopefully they will release the 3gs (new bootrom) jailbreak.
      agreed... i really want a jailbreak
    1. rmathew_99's Avatar
      rmathew_99 -
      I need to Jailbreak iOS4 without having conditions. I would like to take a 3GS or 3G and upgrade via iTune to iOS4 and should be able to jailbreak it with the tool. Then, use ultrasn0w to unlock if I need to. I don't know why Dev Team is wasting time on these half baked solutions.
    1. rawhog's Avatar
      rawhog -
      Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
      i love my iphone 4 , but oh do i miss my jailbreak.

      Unlock is great and all but all i want is jailbreak
      Amen Brother!!
    1. domthebigbomb's Avatar
      domthebigbomb -
      Quote Originally Posted by rmathew_99 View Post
      I need to Jailbreak iOS4 without having conditions. I would like to take a 3GS or 3G and upgrade via iTune to iOS4 and should be able to jailbreak it with the tool. Then, use ultrasn0w to unlock if I need to. I don't know why Dev Team is wasting time on these half baked solutions.
      wow ur an *** -.-
    1. bllewisii's Avatar
      bllewisii -
      Quote Originally Posted by rmathew_99 View Post
      I need to Jailbreak iOS4 without having conditions. I would like to take a 3GS or 3G and upgrade via iTune to iOS4 and should be able to jailbreak it with the tool. Then, use ultrasn0w to unlock if I need to. I don't know why Dev Team is wasting time on these half baked solutions.
      What a biggity b*tch!
    1. billinaz's Avatar
      billinaz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post


      Basically, once the iPhone 4 is jailbroken, the unlock won't be an immediate release. iOS4 is already un-lockable using ultrasn0w 0.93 on the earlier iPhone models, but the payload will need to be rewritten for iPhone 4 once an exploit is discovered in the new baseband OS. Hopefully the port itself will have introduced some. No way to estimate any sort of timeline until further investigating is done.
      Im running iOS4 on my 3GS and it is jailbroken AND unlocked. The unlock has been out for several days.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rmathew_99 View Post
      I need to Jailbreak iOS4 without having conditions. I would like to take a 3GS or 3G and upgrade via iTune to iOS4 and should be able to jailbreak it with the tool. Then, use ultrasn0w to unlock if I need to. I don't know why Dev Team is wasting time on these half baked solutions.
      Wow, way to complain to people about free service they do to help the community. Try stepping up your hacking game on this then. Do you even have the slightest idea of what all goes on behind jailbreaking and unlocking?
    1. domthebigbomb's Avatar
      domthebigbomb -
      Quote Originally Posted by billinaz View Post
      Im running iOS4 on my 3GS and it is jailbroken AND unlocked. The unlock has been out for several days.
      I think u missed the point that they were saying the iphone 4 will have to take a while to unlock...
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      This guys r working at a quick pace with this ios
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by billinaz View Post
      Im running iOS4 on my 3GS and it is jailbroken AND unlocked. The unlock has been out for several days.
      Did you miss the iPhone 4 part? He is talking about the brand spanking new iphone that just came out.
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Thanks guys
    1. reanimationxp's Avatar
      reanimationxp -
      Quote Originally Posted by billinaz View Post
      Im running iOS4 on my 3GS and it is jailbroken AND unlocked. The unlock has been out for several days.
      lolwut? L2iphone.
    1. JoeStorm's Avatar
      JoeStorm -
      Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
      i love my iphone 4 , but oh do i miss my jailbreak.

      Unlock is great and all but all i want is jailbreak
      Please.
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Can't wait to jailbreak my iPhone 4
    1. vthree's Avatar
      vthree -
      i miss my jailbreak..
    1. curtisdon1's Avatar
      curtisdon1 -
      i love my new iphone 4 an all but damm i miss my jailbreak, u can do so much more with a jailbroke iphone, guess we will will av to wait for the masters to work there magic