• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • BlackBerry Chief Calls iPhone 'Outdated'


    BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins spoke candidly about his competition from Cupertino in a new interview published this week in The Australian Financial Review. According to Heins, Apple is no longer the leader in smartphone innovation.

    Labeling Apple’s iPhone user interface as “outdated,” Heins says BlackBerry’s Z10 and even Samsung’s Galaxy S4 have passed the iPhone in mobile hardware and software design.

    “Apple did a fantastic job in bringing touch devices to market… They did a fantastic job with the user interface, they are a design icon. There is a reason why they were so successful, and we actually have to admit this and respect that,” Heins says.

    “The rate of innovation is so high in our industry that if you don’t innovate at that speed, you can be replaced pretty quickly. The user interface on the iPhone, with all due respect for what this invention was all about, is now five years old,” he adds.

    In particular, Heins asserts that the new BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system is superior to iOS because it enables users to run multiple apps simultaneously in a multitasking environment rivaled only in quality by the desktop experience.

    “The point is that you can never stand still,” Heins concludes. “It is true for us as well. Launching BB10 just put us on the starting grid of the wider mobile computing grand prix, and now we need to win it.”

    Source: The Australian Financial Review
    This article was originally published in forum thread: BlackBerry Chief Calls iPhone 'Outdated' started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 143 Comments
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
      You are just making crap up now. Using big words may impress your simple friends but it doesn't really work that well here.

      Marketing raises awareness, word of mouth raises credibility, awareness and credibility create sales.
      If you say so.
      But why so angry ?
    1. Moosestache's Avatar
      Moosestache -
      I am not angry. I call things the way I see it. Some people debate facts, some people enjoy open discussion, and some people enjoy trolling. Some trolls, usually high school kids, or people who live in their mother's basement, enjoy pretending they are smarter than the rest of us by using big words and making stuff up. You may or may not fit those descriptions, but your condescending attitude grows tiresome.
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
      I am not angry. I call things the way I see it. Some people debate facts, some people enjoy open discussion, and some people enjoy trolling. Some trolls, usually high school kids, or people who live in their mother's basement, enjoy pretending they are smarter than the rest of us by using big words and making stuff up. You may or may not fit those descriptions, but your condescending attitude grows tiresome.
      Grows tiresome ?
      Why are you trying to sound like someone two generations older ?
      If you're gunna slag someone off, at least have the decency to try to be a bit entertaining - otherwise you just come off as a bit pompous.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      Did marketing make you buy an iPhone ?
      Didn't think so.
      Marketing raises credibility, word of mouth creates sales.

      Screensize is undoubtedly a greater factor than OS features, but the latter is also a significant determinant.
      Please don't assume you know why I bought my iPhone or Nexus 4. Word of mouth had nothing to do with either purchase. I am usually one of the first where I live to get the new devices. My purchases are based on that products marketing and history of the company. Creating sales is a big part of marketing (not the only part but a vital one). To say marketing is just about raising credibility is ridiculous and shows how little you actually know about what it actually is. Read up: Marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Marketing and advertising are one of the main reasons Samsung has been so successful with their Galaxy line compared to other comparable androids like HTC one series and even the Nexus line which have shown disappointing sales in comparison.
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Please don't assume you know why I bought my iPhone or Nexus 4. Word of mouth had nothing to do with either purchase. I am usually one of the first where I live to get the new devices. My purchases are based on that products marketing and history of the company. Creating sales is a big part of marketing (not the only part but a vital one). To say marketing is just about raising credibility is ridiculous and shows how little you actually know about what it actually is. Read up: Marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Marketing and advertising are one of the main reasons Samsung has been so successful with their Galaxy line compared to other comparable androids like HTC one series and even the Nexus line which have shown disappointing sales in comparison.
      An earnest statement I'm sure - but with the greatest disrespect, of little relevance or interest.
      Marketing might create interest, but word of mouth destroys sales - but no amount of marketing will make a success of a shi'ite product.
      And anyway, I wear a tinfoil hat most of the time.
      If you find yourself making purchases you subsequently don't understand, I suggest you wear one too ... works a treat for me.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      An earnest statement I'm sure - but with the greatest disrespect, of little relevance or interest.
      Marketing might create interest, but word of mouth destroys sales - but no amount of marketing will make a success of a shi'ite product.
      And anyway, I wear a tinfoil hat most of the time.
      If you find yourself making purchases you subsequently don't understand, I suggest you wear one too ... works a treat for me.
      I agree. Word of mouth can play a large part for some, I just think marketing does too.
      tinfoil hat you say? Can you recommend a good brand? (Here's one for your word of mouth argument lol)
    1. Mohit555's Avatar
      Mohit555 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      As I said, denial.
      Siri is utter rubbish compared to Google/Dragon (same algorithm) voice recognition.
      Taller screen ? ... brilliant (/sarcasm off).
      4G and faster processing = the same thing faster, which is not innovation.

      And with that, I think you're out of ammo - aren't you ?


      I think someone needs to Google 'market share'.
      Good job ostriches like you aren't running Apple.
      You don't happen to work for Nokia, do you ?
      You talk so passionately about innovation and support an os which innovated nothing.
      Yes. U heard it. All android has over ios is customizations. And 'widgets' have been around even before your green bot was in its creator's balls.
      I agree that there hasnt been any groundbreaking innovation from apple's side in quite some time. But siri was infact revolutionary. Sure people had voice recognition before it but apple made it work. It gave us something that we cud actually use rather than just another dumb feature that your favorite os is be filled with.

      It invented the retina display which other companies have JUST been able to surpass. After 3 years! Talk about slow learners! And i know this is more to do with hardware than software but its difficult to segregate the two when talking abt a company like apple.

      So what if it hasnt inovated anything big in the last couple of months which might extend to a year or two.. None of the other companies have either. Its because technology slowly reaches its capacity. Sure the existing technology will expand in the future, but it'll only happen at a slower pace. You cant expect your phone to satisfy your girlfriend because u cant.

      I did hear abt nfc, which sounds interesting, but is pretty much useless right now. And i can bet that eventually, apple will be the one to make it extraordinary. Not by their marketing techniques but by their way of doing things. Like they didnt just add a voice recognition service but created a whole fricken personality which actually did more than call someone. They introduce a feature only with a widerange of app base which exploit that feature. And thats why they change the game everytime.

      Like other companies, their main motive in life isnt making things bigger.. Screen, ram, battery.. Increasing the ram or stuffing 4 cores instead of two isnt innovation. Nor is having a weather widget on the lockscreen. M not against customization. Just saying that apple does more important things than other phone companies or the OS ones.

      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      Because they're there.

      But in all seriosity, it used to be that phone contracts lasted a year.
      Now they last two years, if that makes you any happier.
      I'm suprised to hear this POV from a MMYI-forum member ... where's your self-respect ?
      How the **** are they there? What can an android do that an iphone cant? Probably vibrate better in your colon. I cant think of anything else.
      And if customizations is your 'argument' (not debate), then you are on your own dude. Me, and most of the people here are done arguing with you. Not because we agree with you or because we lost. But because we are tired of trying to make you broaden your mind. Its like teaching a cat how to talk. The best you can get out of it is 'ohh long jonhson'.
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      Sorry, but I'm still getting the HTC One ... surely a product to seduce even hardline Apple fundamentalists.
    1. Mohit555's Avatar
      Mohit555 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Flash isn't supported on android anymore. Adobe stopped developing it. Photon or skyfire browsers are 2 ways to get flash on both OS's.
      file browsing is available with jailbreak: ifile
      Free icon placement the same with gridlock.

      Compared to stock iOS yes, those are two things android has over iOS.
      This guy owns an iphone 4 on 4.3. He doesnt know **** about cydia tweaks that have released post mid 2010.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
      You talk so passionately about innovation and support an os which innovated nothing.
      Yes. U heard it. All android has over ios is customizations. And 'widgets' have been around even before your green bot was in its creator's balls.
      I agree that there hasnt been any groundbreaking innovation from apple's side in quite some time. But siri was infact revolutionary. Sure people had voice recognition before it but apple made it work. It gave us something that we cud actually use rather than just another dumb feature that your favorite os is be filled with.

      It invented the retina display which other companies have JUST been able to surpass. After 3 years! Talk about slow learners! And i know this is more to do with hardware than software but its difficult to segregate the two when talking abt a company like apple.

      So what if it hasnt inovated anything big in the last couple of months which might extend to a year or two.. None of the other companies have either. Its because technology slowly reaches its capacity. Sure the existing technology will expand in the future, but it'll only happen at a slower pace. You cant expect your phone to satisfy your girlfriend because u cant.

      I did hear abt nfc, which sounds interesting, but is pretty much useless right now. And i can bet that eventually, apple will be the one to make it extraordinary. Not by their marketing techniques but by their way of doing things. Like they didnt just add a voice recognition service but created a whole fricken personality which actually did more than call someone. They introduce a feature only with a widerange of app base which exploit that feature. And thats why they change the game everytime.

      Like other companies, their main motive in life isnt making things bigger.. Screen, ram, battery.. Increasing the ram or stuffing 4 cores instead of two isnt innovation. Nor is having a weather widget on the lockscreen. M not against customization. Just saying that apple does more important things than other phone companies or the OS ones.



      How the **** are they there? What can an android do that an iphone cant? Probably vibrate better in your colon. I cant think of anything else.
      And if customizations is your 'argument' (not debate), then you are on your own dude. Me, and most of the people here are done arguing with you. Not because we agree with you or because we lost. But because we are tired of trying to make you broaden your mind. Its like teaching a cat how to talk. The best you can get out of it is 'ohh long jonhson'.
      This post is a classic. I love it.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
      This guy owns an iphone 4 on 4.3. He doesnt know **** about cydia tweaks that have released post mid 2010.
      Please stop posting around the inappropriate language auto censor. It is there for a reason, please follow forum rules.
    1. Mohit555's Avatar
      Mohit555 -
      Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
      Even in comparison to stock OS', those features are so arbitrary in the scope of "ground-breaking" features anyway. If Apple thought that things like "free-placement" of icons was critical to the user experience then it really would have had no reason not to include it. It is a mundane thing to worry about.
      Apparently, thats all that the iphonethatswhyiam or whatever he is wants the most in the world. Even more than friends, which m sure he doesnt have judging by the way he talks to the general public.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      Sorry, but I'm still getting the HTC One ... surely a product to seduce even hardline Apple fundamentalists.
      That phone does look pretty awesome. I would choose that over the S4. I like the Nexus line myself though because they get updates the quickest and I like plain jane android better than Sense or touchwiz.
    1. Mohit555's Avatar
      Mohit555 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      Launchscreen basics like a clock, date and weather are basic requirements for many people.
      Trivialising it isn't going to change that.

      Sure you can get PerPageHTML+ for a Springboard clock and all the other JB tweaks, but as far as sales are concerned, only considerations of stock OS's matter.
      As far as sales is concerned, the lastest iphone on the latest ios is sold way more readily than the latest samsung or htc on the latest android.
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
      This guy owns an iphone 4 on 4.3. He doesnt know **** about cydia tweaks that have released post mid 2010.
      Yeah, but he also owns a 3GS on 612, ran his 4 on 511 as he does his iPad-1.
      I've run every Cydia tweak under the sun - even helped authoring one.
      Sorry to burst your bubble.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Last warning about forum rules. Inappropriate language and insulting other members are against forum rules.
    1. Mohit555's Avatar
      Mohit555 -
      [QUOTE=iPhoneThereforeIAm;6801865]
      Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
      My, we ARE feisty - but really, too many inappropriate references.
      Not proud of it but its hard to control with people like iphonethereforeiam.
      M sure he mustve gotten on your nerve too. I sincerely apologize. Not to him the general public.

      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Last warning about forum rules. Inappropriate language and insulting other members are against forum rules.
      Duly noted!
      But this warning should also be extended to the person who i was insulting because he posts were equally obnoxious. He just used fancier insults which only he understood. I had to go with the layman language.
    1. DieselVexx's Avatar
      DieselVexx -
      That is the? Only complaint about adroid phones "Why the giant humps on the back for cameras?
    1. Robmille's Avatar
      Robmille -
      I know there's a lot of things that Apple could improve on the iPhone and innovation, I'm not so sure what Blackberry chief thinks of iDevices is all that relevant. You'd think he had enough on his plate.
    1. IChi1d's Avatar
      IChi1d -
      even thou im a bb kind of guy bb needs the stfu after waiting years on them they just came out with a phone that has no apps to date close to apple, I think the devices needs to speak for themselves. but then again they are all free to say anything they like, all of a sudden these guys are coming out of there rare ends to talk about apple, when apple is the first leader to data to wake up all the other guys, show some respect. im no apple guy at all but I do know one thing, they made a solid phone that works very well and once something is doing what its suppose to do very will im all for it.
      bb get some apps first that really work and hopefully this new line doesnt crash every-time the video is rolling. oh an by the way the security on the idevices surpasses that of blackberry do the research. they got allot of work to do and should be more concern about getting there reputation back instead of bashing the game changer.