• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Phil Schiller Speaks Out Against Android in Recent Interview


    With just a bit of time before Samsung is expected to announce the next-generation Galaxy S4 smartphone, Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing, Phil Schiller, offered his thoughts on why devices running Google’s Android operating system are inferior products to the iPhone and iOS devices in general.

    In a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal, Schiller discussed the fourth quarter 2012 metrics related to “switchers,” referring to handset users who switched between an iPhone and an Android. Citing Apple research, the executive said that four times as many iPhone users switched away from Android than to a handset running Google’s mobile OS. Schiller was also quick to point out one of the shortcomings of the Android platform: fragmentation. He noted that many Android users are still running older versions of the operating system, whereas Apple’s implementation of iOS is uniform. According to him:

    Android is often given [as] a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn't as good as an iPhone.
    After digging into the Android ecosystem, Schiller noted that because different elements of the UI originate from different companies, the platform ends up suffering. While sometimes derided for being a “walled garden,” Apple’s system of controlling both the hardware and software ends up allowing users to experience a more cohesive and user-friendly operating system. He said the following regarding the matter:

    When you take an Android device out of the box, you have to sign up to nine accounts with different vendors to get the experience iOS comes with. They don't work seamlessly together.
    We’ll have to see how consumers feel about Schiller’s opinion soon enough as Samsung is scheduled to unveil the newest flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone at an event in New York later today, March 14th, 2013.

    Source: The Wall Street Journal
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Phil Schiller Speaks Out Against Android in Recent Interview started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      I agree and disagree, agree with the fragmentation. I hate how each company puts there on "skin" per se on android. Stock jelly bean is the best. Which you can obviously root and get but how many people do that in all honesty... Well just as many as who jailbreak. Not the majority by any means. And I also agree where he says you have to set up multiple accounts.

      But I disagree with the part where he says the experience isn't as good. HTC's new skin update with the live-tile for the HTC One looks absolutely incredible. And the hardware is incredible too. Android is a very good operating system if your on 4.1 or higher (project butter is why) But without a bad skin on android it ruins the user experience.
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      What about the people who switched to fapple, hate it, but can't afford to switch back because of the contract? This is another reason I hate fapple.
    1. Aumz's Avatar
      Aumz -
      More ******** from Apple just talking to show they are in fear of Samsung and Android in a big way. Why not just keep your mouth shut and cancel all the lawsuits and put the money into making a new OS from the ground up because right now Android OS kicks iOS *** all over the park. Also add some new hardware.....get rid of the stupid iPhone 5 size revert back to the 4S size and call that iPhone Mini then add a 5 inch version to sell alongside.

      I am no fanboy of Android but I recently dumped iPhone and iOS (using since 2007) went over to Note 2....best bloody move I ever made Android is awesome and soo much better than iOS.

      Re do iOS and bigger iPhone size and I would come back because hardware iPhone rocks but software it stinks.
    1. Venom1234's Avatar
      Venom1234 -
      I switched to the nexus 4 and disagree. I'm glad I switched it's a great platform and very smooth. Apple should take some hints from Google and improve upon their stale operating system.
    1. regkilla's Avatar
      regkilla -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
      More ******** from Apple just talking to show they are in fear of Samsung and Android in a big way. Why not just keep your mouth shut and cancel all the lawsuits and put the money into making a new OS from the ground up because right now Android OS kicks iOS *** all over the park. Also add some new hardware.....get rid of the stupid iPhone 5 size revert back to the 4S size and call that iPhone Mini then add a 5 inch version to sell alongside.

      I am no fanboy of Android but I recently dumped iPhone and iOS (using since 2007) went over to Note 2....best bloody move I ever made Android is awesome and soo much better than iOS.

      Re do iOS and bigger iPhone size and I would come back because hardware iPhone rocks but software it stinks.
      Had the Note 2 - liked it but like the iPhone 5 I have now even more.
    1. Luie82's Avatar
      Luie82 -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      What about the people who switched to fapple, hate it, but can't afford to switch back because of the contract? This is another reason I hate fapple.
      By calling them fabble you've lost all credibility, Now you sound like a Android fanboi
    1. radioBirdman's Avatar
      radioBirdman -
      Why do Android fanbois visit this site anyway?
    1. regkilla's Avatar
      regkilla -
      Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
      Why do Android fanbois visit this site anyway?
      I wonder why myself.
    1. Jcbzr's Avatar
      Jcbzr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Luie82 View Post
      By calling them fabble you've lost all credibility, Now you sound like a Android fanboi
      Want to guess what you sound like? An Apple "fanboi."
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Luie82 View Post
      By calling them fabble you've lost all credibility, Now you sound like a Android fanboi
      I dont see where he called anyone "fabble".

      Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
      Why do Android fanbois visit this site anyway?
      Because someone may actually be open minded about technology doesnt make them a fanboy. It looks to me like many people here have gotten fed up with Apple for one reason or another and made a switch.
    1. Lohand's Avatar
      Lohand -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
      I switched to the nexus 4 and disagree. I'm glad I switched it's a great platform and very smooth. Apple should take some hints from Google and improve upon their stale operating system.
      Stale? You are being too kind!

      Apple hardware advancement is not the problem. iOS on the other hand suuuuuuxs! Still sporting that old windows 3.1 icon driven interface, and 6 years later there is still a clock bar on the lock screen? Really Apple? This all the while others move to things like usable active panels and glance info widgets, not to mention Samsung's purported "eyeball scrolling" for the GS IV that will be announced today).

      The jig is up and the stock is down (as wallstreet waits for Apple's next wow innovation) and this action by Phil shows nervousness on their part. So, steal, er, integrate more jailbreak tweaks if you have to Apple ;^) just move iOS along already. And hey, don't be so what you did yesterday cocky. What will you do tomorrow? Remember, the Roman Empire was mighty once too. Sayin...
    1. crunchingnumbers's Avatar
      crunchingnumbers -
      I question his statistics on switchers. He would have to be referring solely to the US market because that cannot be true in the Global market. Maybe we should call Phil Ostrich because the fact is Apple has their collective heads in the sand. Even our CEO (in a completely unrelated industry) used Apple as example of a company that had become stagnant and living off of past success rather than continuing the process of innovation and development, allowing competitors to pass them by.

      I am one of those switchers and cannot see going back now I've adapted, enjoy the better integration of android and the multitude of android device choices.
    1. njp316's Avatar
      njp316 -
      I think this statement shows that Phil and Apple are a bit concerned about this new galaxy. Competition is good for everyone
    1. eg6motion's Avatar
      eg6motion -
      I've had every iPhone, including the iPhone OG 4GB. I switched to a Galaxy S2 when the 4S came out as it was rather disappointing. That was a buggy experience and took rooting and new roms to get it smoothed out. Went to the iPhone 5 when it came out, but later sold it for a Nexus 4 as the OS just felt so dated. The Galaxy S3 was tempting, but still very buggy and inconsistent. Anyone who claims it's smooth is just drinking the coolaid, at least with the OEM roms... it's just so inconsistent. However, my Nexus 4 is the first Android I've used that is as smooth as the iPhone 5, but with all the benefits and customization of Android. It's just so much better. Apple may be getting defensive, but they are really losing their spark that made each iteration of the iPhone great. I'm hoping that changes, but I may seriously stay with Android for my phone for the long haul now. Although I do love my iPad mini and won't part with that for an Android Tablet.
    1. MgNate's Avatar
      MgNate -
      I had the s3 and the note 2 and I sold both of them. I like the bigger screens but I hate the UI on android. My i5 is way smoother than both of the androids I sold, even after the jailbreak which caused a few bugs for me.
    1. BhadKarma's Avatar
      BhadKarma -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
      Want to guess what you sound like? An Apple "fanboi."
      No you are.
      No you are.
      I said it first.
      NO I DID.
      Lololol

      Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
      Want to guess what you sound like? An Apple "fanboi."
      Ps my daddy can beat up your daddy

      ... Time for people to grow up. My god.
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      What about the people who switched to fapple, hate it, but can't afford to switch back because of the contract? This is another reason I hate fapple.
      The contract part is under your cell phone provider, not apple... LOL. So what if I bought and android, hate it, but can't afford to switch back because of the contract? Lol sometimes people are too ignorant.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      I have an Android device as well as an iOS one and I think the main problem with Android's UI is that all of the buttons are smaller than on iOS. I don't really see how manufacturers installing their own launchers hurts anything, especially since you can replace them without rooting. The biggest service Android is missing is one like iCloud.

      If you want the latest software, buy a decent device (not more expensive than the iPhone) that either comes with it or can be rooted and upgraded easily.
    1. centori's Avatar
      centori -
      Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
      More ******** from Apple just talking to show they are in fear of Samsung and Android in a big way. Why not just keep your mouth shut and cancel all the lawsuits and put the money into making a new OS from the ground up because right now Android OS kicks iOS *** all over the park. Also add some new hardware.....get rid of the stupid iPhone 5 size revert back to the 4S size and call that iPhone Mini then add a 5 inch version to sell alongside.

      I am no fanboy of Android but I recently dumped iPhone and iOS (using since 2007) went over to Note 2....best bloody move I ever made Android is awesome and soo much better than iOS.

      Re do iOS and bigger iPhone size and I would come back because hardware iPhone rocks but software it stinks.

      Why you need a bigger screen for a phone? Are you having eyes problem? The current size is good. Samsung are for DUMB ***!
      It was funny to see someone making a call using a note 2. LMBO.
    1. Aumz's Avatar
      Aumz -
      Quote Originally Posted by centori View Post
      Why you need a bigger screen for a phone? Are you having eyes problem? The current size is good. Samsung are for DUMB ***!
      It was funny to see someone making a call using a note 2. LMBO.

      I like to watch videos on my smartphone and I have man size hands not girly hands like most iphone users.....lol

      You prob laugh because you are more into all show and no go