• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • How to Fix That Annoying Screen Brightness Glitch When You Respring


    You know whatís annoying sometimes? Ė When you respring your iOS device, the brightness always seems to go all the way down, and then it takes forever to re-correct itself after the device starts back up again. Sometimes it doesnít even re-correct itself; sometimes the glitch doesn't even happen at all. This annoyance makes it really hard to see your display after a respring, and sometimes you have to adjust your screen brightness manually just to see it.

    The glitch occurs on iOS 6 when developers don't update jailbreak tweaks to respring by killing backboard instead of killing SpringBoard. On iOS 5, the method to respring was kill SpringBoard, while on iOS 6, developers should respring by killing backboard.

    The bug becomes a real pain after a while, and I don't know about you, but I'm about fed up with it. For those of you that agree, you'll want to grab a new free jailbreak tweak that fixes this problem, and itís called BrightnessFix for iOS 6 by iOS developer Jonas Gessner.

    After you install the tweak, the brightness may go down at the beginning of a respring, but by the time the device starts back up, the brightness returns to the level that it was at before initiating the respring. In other words, you've cured the annoying brightness glitch!

    The idea of the jailbreak community generating home-brew fixes for iOS is wonderful; just recently, a tweak fixing a crashing issue for the Contacts application was released, and before that, a tweak fixing an issue causing lots of junk files to accumulate after each respring was released.

    The tweak is available right now at no cost in the ModMyi repository of Cydia. Go and get it!

    Name: BrightnessFix for iOS 6
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 6
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: Jonas Gessner
    Editor's Rating:  5/5
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to Fix That Annoying Screen Brightness Glitch When You Respring started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 98 Comments
    1. Jkauf55's Avatar
      Jkauf55 -
      Kinda useless... Just lock phone right after respring when it shows lockscreen. that fixes it.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jkauf55 View Post
      Kinda useless... Just lock phone right after respring when it shows lockscreen. that fixes it.
      That's inconvenient.

      I wanna use my phone as soon as it resprings without locking it.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      That's inconvenient.

      I wanna use my phone as soon as it resprings without locking it.
      I agree! Hey, Anthony. Have you been turned on to the battery stat saving workaround for respring yet? Simon turned me onto it. Maybe you already know as well.
    1. flash66's Avatar
      flash66 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      Wow.... U don't come around here very often do you? Have u ever even opened Cydia and seen the updates available for your phone? You will find your answer there...The answer is yes btw. Do what I just said (open Cydia, then click on updates) and download and install UITools.
      Wrong. There is a simple tweak/fix to install now. Update your Cydia and look.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      I agree! Hey, Anthony. Have you been turned on to the battery stat saving workaround for respring yet? Simon turned me onto it. Maybe you already know as well.
      Not yet
    1. bgattis's Avatar
      bgattis -
      This doesn't work all the time.
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      i don't see it in the cydia repo
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      i don't see it in the cydia repo
      Please read the previous comments.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      This tweak worked great for me. Now I need to install it on the wife's phone when it is back in the repo.
    1. alanjf's Avatar
      alanjf -
      Quote Originally Posted by djaquapimp View Post
      This is how to fix the weather app

      1. Remove that tool you use to sync unsigned apps
      I really wish people would stop attacking tools. Tools like App Sync can be used for plenty of legitimate reasons, such as when you want to have multiple versions of an app on your device. You need something like App sync since you'd have to change the app's (bundle) identifier, thus invalidating the app's signature. With App Sync, iTunes would refuse to install it to the device. I have used this to run an older version of Skype (while having a newest current version installed, allowing me to have multiple accounts at once if I need.) I also do this when I just prefer an older version and don't want iTunes bugging me about updates, AND still be able to test out the newest version without disturbing what I already have.

      So again, please stop attacking the tools, stop creating bogus taboos when such effort should be focused on the behavior instead. It's like out-lawing all guns because some people used them to murder people. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to own and use them for self-defense. Same goes for things like App Sync, Bit-Torrent, ed2k, etc. There's nothing wrong or bad about using them in and of themselves. Just because a tool can be used for nefarious deeds, it doesn't make them any less useful of a tool.

      Quote Originally Posted by sargd66 View Post
      It has to do with some pirate repo site or pirated app that you may be using. If this is the case for you. They fixed the weather app crashes awhile ago.
      Please stop spreading random rumors about things you seem to know nothing about. Tools like App Sync have nothing to do with the Weather app crash, which has already been well established (unless you're using some hacked out version of it, in which case you're always taking your chances.)

      I've been using App Sync since I jail broke on 6.1 and haven't had one single issue. I only use it to run multiple (and older) versions of some apps, and because I swapped out the app icons for one particular app for the older ones they used to use a while back) all of which would not be installable without such a tool (iTunes would reject it, since the signature would no longer match.)
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
      I've been using App Sync since I jail broke on 6.1 and haven't had one single issue. I only use it to run multiple (and older) versions of some apps, and because I swapped out the app icons for one particular app for the older ones they used to use a while back) all of which would not be installable without such a tool (iTunes would reject it, since the signature would no longer match.)
      App Sync has been known to cause a few issues. It causes keyboard shortcuts to not work for one. I have tried App Sync from several repos and all of them make my shortcuts stop working. An uninstall of App Sync and a reboot and they are working again. I don't have a need for it any more though.
    1. alanjf's Avatar
      alanjf -
      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      ******* has been known to cause a few issues. It causes keyboard shortcuts to not work for one. I have tried ******* from several repos and all of them make my shortcuts stop working. An uninstall of ******* and a reboot and they are working again.
      Not sure what's with all the asterixes above, but as far as App Sync goes, I haven't had any of the issues you described, running on a 4S, iOS 6.1, "app sync 5.0+" 2.2, which is the same deb package I had when jail broken under iOS 5. I can only assume these problems may be from a newer version or some repos have modified versions. I got mine originally directly from the author, I think it was from his github iirc, and never ever had any problems resulting from it. Again, this is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
      Not sure what's with all the asterixes above, but as far as App Sync goes, I haven't had any of the issues you described, running on a 4S, iOS 6.1, "app sync 5.0+" 2.2, which is the same deb package I had when jail broken under iOS 5. I can only assume these problems may be from a newer version or some repos have modified versions. I got mine originally directly from the author, I think it was from his github iirc, and never ever had any problems resulting from it. Again, this is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.
      The asterix are there because it is a tool we cannot discuss on MMi because of it's uses regarding warez, which are against forum rules. I understand what you are saying and do see cases where it could be legitly used. However we do ask that you respect the forum rules regarding this.
    1. Simon76's Avatar
      Simon76 -
      i couldnt find this tweak in cydia
    1. alanjf's Avatar
      alanjf -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      The asterix are there because it is a tool we cannot discuss on MMi because of it's uses regarding warez, which are against forum rules. I understand what you are saying and do see cases where it could be legitly used. However we do ask that you respect the forum rules regarding this.
      While I always try my best to respect and follow the rules of an establishment, and try to avoid getting into arguments about policy, I feel this particular regulation does a real disservice to both users and to the tool itself, giving people the wrong idea that just because it can be used to do wrong, that this is it's one and only usage, when the truth (which some people seem to go out of their way to avoid mentioning) is that without it, it is extremely difficult to do things such as running multiple versions of, modified versions of, or old, preferable versions of an app.

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole point of jail-breaking is being in control of one's device, and ridding one's device of the shackles a stock device is otherwise stuck with. App Sync allows one to upload anything, signed, unsigned, modified, et al. No shackles, just like most computers, laptops, etc. It can be misused, as can a lot of things. So with all due respect, this sort of censoring just ends up unfairly tainting the perception of such a tool.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Not yet
      The battery stat erase glitch after respring is related to the brightness dimming bug after respring too. How caches get cleared in iOS 6 is different than before. So simply put - each app maker is gonna have to redo how respring works. For the moment "ACTIVATOR's" respring sub routine doesn't clear battery stats. So Simon taught me to assign a 'double tap' on the sleep button set to RESPRING. This does not clear battery stats!

      The only trick is in places like Winterboard and cydia you have to be careful. For after a Cydia download that requires respring you need to get back to the home screen (home button) without respringing -then go into the app switcher and kill cydia from in there and then use your activator respring keystroke. While in WB, make changes you want then use your Activator Respring. So far it's working for me.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      The battery stat erase glitch after respring is related to the brightness dimming bug after respring too. How caches get cleared in iOS 6 is different than before. So simply put - each app maker is gonna have to redo how respring works. For the moment "ACTIVATOR's" respring sub routine doesn't clear battery stats. So Simon taught me to assign a 'double tap' on the sleep button set to RESPRING. This does not clear battery stats!

      The only trick is in places like Winterboard and cydia you have to be careful. For after a Cydia download that requires respring you need to get back to the home screen (home button) without respringing -then go into the app switcher and kill cydia from in there and then use your activator respring keystroke. While in WB, make changes you want then use your Activator Respring. So far it's working for me.
      Oh ya.

      They need to kill backboard now and not springboard.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
      While I always try my best to respect and follow the rules of an establishment, and try to avoid getting into arguments about policy, I feel this particular regulation does a real disservice to both users and to the tool itself, giving people the wrong idea that just because it can be used to do wrong, that this is it's one and only usage, when the truth (which some people seem to go out of their way to avoid mentioning) is that without it, it is extremely difficult to do things such as running multiple versions of, modified versions of, or old, preferable versions of an app.

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole point of jail-breaking is being in control of one's device, and ridding one's device of the shackles a stock device is otherwise stuck with. App Sync allows one to upload anything, signed, unsigned, modified, et al. No shackles, just like most computers, laptops, etc. It can be misused, as can a lot of things. So with all due respect, this sort of censoring just ends up unfairly tainting the perception of such a tool.
      This is not a debate about whether or not it should be allowed or not. The fact is it was created and mostly used for syncing cracked apps. Your legitimate uses make no difference. This site has a no warez policy. That tool was made to allow warez to be installed. Simple as that. If you have a further need to debate this I suggest contacting the site owners, their site, their rules. This thread has nothing to do with it in any case so discussing it here is also off topic. Any further off topic discussion with regard to app sync will simply be deleted.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Actually my brightness seems to go all the way up. I hope this tweak fixes when it's released again.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Actually my brightness seems to go all the way up. I hope this tweak fixes when it's released again.
      Here you go, Zok!

      removed by request of developer