• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • This iOS Concept Lets You Set Reminders for Getting Back to Text Messages


    We’ve definitely all been in a situation where we have received a text message at an inopportune time; however, when we put our iPhones back in our pocket, or continue playing around in the app we were working in, we might forget to reply to the person that sent the message to us.

    This idea by iOS concept designer Joshua Tucker helps take this inconvenience into consideration, by integrating a reminder feature into the Messages application.

    The way the concept works is when the user holds down on a text message, or iMessage, that they receive, the pop-up bubble won’t only say copy – it will also give the user a Remind option...

    Tapping on the Remind button brings up an option sheet allowing the user to choose between being reminded of the text message after 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or 1 hour. Alternatively, the user can tap on a cancel button to exit the share sheet, which will appear at the bottom of the list, to cancel the reminder.

    After the user selects a time option, a reminder will be created in the Reminders application that actually reminds the user of the text message after the selected amount of time has passed.

    According to Joshua, the concept (or a variant of it) may be a part of a future jailbreak tweak project with iOS developer Andrew Richardson. If you want to get this functionality right now, instead of waiting, you can use the following package via GitHub (compliments of Jonathan Bailey) and install it with iFile:

    Sources: Dribbble via Joshua Tucker
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Concept Lets You Set Reminders for Getting Back to Text Messages started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
    1. BoyBastos's Avatar
      BoyBastos -
      will this work with bitesms?
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Quote Originally Posted by BoyBastos View Post
      will this work with bitesms?
      It probably doesn't. Jonathan created this in response to my original post over a month ago. We haven't discussed further additions or compatibilities (or the idea of releasing to a public repository).
    1. Adrian97c's Avatar
      Adrian97c -
      JT you always come up with great ideas! Thanks
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Quote Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
      JT you always come up with great ideas! Thanks
      Thanks Adrian, much appreciated. Props to Jonathan for bringing it to life (while procrastinating no less).

      Here's the original tweet to me with the link over a month ago - https://twitter.com/Jon889/status/287386563191640064
    1. icebox11's Avatar
      icebox11 -
      Here is a video showing how to install it:
    1. keenpois0n's Avatar
      keenpois0n -
      if this does go into further development, itd be cooler if itd work by when in the conversation mode, holding on the 'messages' tab (which brings us back to the list of conversations) for a few seconds sets the most recent message to reappear in a banner (as if the message was just delivered) to a pre-determined amount of time..say 5 or 10 minutes. this way i think it would be a little more fluent. what do you think Josh / Jonathon /Andrew?
      also, if this did go ahead, bitesms compatibility would be dandelicious. i love scheduled messaging.

      also love your stuff josh. (on a side note, im happy to hear the answer/decline buttons are coming back to CallBar!)
    1. gray bishop's Avatar
      gray bishop -
      installed this, thanks
    1. naadhu's Avatar
      naadhu -
      I've installed and it works with the stock Messages app but does not support BiteSMS yet.

      [QUOTE=BoyBastos;6784248]will this work with bitesms?[/QUOTE nope. not yet]
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      It would be more convenient if this was a feature on the notification banner or the lockscreen. If you are in the app and have to hold the text and select remind and pick a time, you might as well just reply.
    1. Jailbr0k's Avatar
      Jailbr0k -
      Nice work JT, work fine

    1. stulaw11's Avatar
      stulaw11 -
      I don't get it, why not just start a new reminder to "text Mr. X"

      I can't imagine this saves much time or is easier than setting the reminder via speaking it to Siri.
    1. Joshua Tucker's Avatar
      Joshua Tucker -
      Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
      if this does go into further development, itd be cooler if itd work by when in the conversation mode, holding on the 'messages' tab (which brings us back to the list of conversations) for a few seconds sets the most recent message to reappear in a banner (as if the message was just delivered) to a pre-determined amount of time..say 5 or 10 minutes. this way i think it would be a little more fluent. what do you think Josh / Jonathon /Andrew?
      also, if this did go ahead, bitesms compatibility would be dandelicious. i love scheduled messaging.

      also love your stuff josh. (on a side note, im happy to hear the answer/decline buttons are coming back to CallBar!)
      Oh. You just wait for what Andrew and I have been working on .

      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      It would be more convenient if this was a feature on the notification banner or the lockscreen. If you are in the app and have to hold the text and select remind and pick a time, you might as well just reply.
      The goal of this was to remind you more of when you were already in the application. As in you were already reading and wanted to reply later.

      But keep your eyes peeled. Something is on the horizon.

      Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
      I don't get it, why not just start a new reminder to "text Mr. X"

      I can't imagine this saves much time or is easier than setting the reminder via speaking it to Siri.
      It's for when you're specifically already there. But Siri isn't always appropriate to use (where you are) and navigating to Reminders can be a trek too. Not justifying that the others can't be faster in other situations, but this just serves a specific purpose - when you're already there.