• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 6.1.2 Lockscreen Exploit Found - Not the Good One Either


    It appears yet another lockscreen iOS 6.1 security bug has been discovered which gives a potential hacker/terrible friend access to contacts, photos and a whole lot more. This exploit is much like the previous bug Apple fixed, however it apparently gives access to more user data when the phone is plugged into a computer. The original lockscreen bug found on iOS 6.1 did not allow the same access.

    A few hours ago we posted about how iOS 6.1.3 will indeed patch the jailbreak exploit; it is assumed iOS 6.1.3 will also fix this security bug. It's almost too perfect for Apple - they waited to fix this bug until they could also patch the jailbreak, thus making many users consider the update. I however will not.

    While we do not encourage anyone to use this exploit for terrible reasons, here is a breakdown of how it works.


    1. Ensure there is a passcode enabled (obvious) and then lock your device by pressing the sleep / wake button.
    2. Wake the device by tapping the home or sleep button.
    3. Tap the Emergency Call button on the virtual keyboard.
    4. Dial 911 or another emergency call number like 110 or 112 and then IMMEDIATELY hang up the call.
    5. With the call canceled, hit the sleep / wake button to once again put your device in sleep mode, wake it up and then Slide To Unlock.
    6. Now the trickiest part, hold down the sleep / wake button for about 3 seconds and just before the Slide To Power Off window appears tap the Emergency Call Button (while still keep your finger on the sleep / wake button).
    7. Keep holding the sleep / wake button and you have gained access to the phone app and if plugged in via USB all personal information.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 6.1.2 Lockscreen Exploit Found - Not the Good One Either started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
    1. mbeezy81's Avatar
      mbeezy81 -
      Ain't nobody got time for that!!
    1. chad daddy's Avatar
      chad daddy -
      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Stupid. Calling 911 and hanging up gets a cop at your door to make sure you are ok. Speaking as a former dispatcher I can locate the exact house you are in.
      Speaking as someone who used phones before, the call never went thru, your dispatcher line wouldnt have even responded.
    1. se23's Avatar
      se23 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy81 View Post
      Ain't nobody got time for that!!
      Hahahaaaaa. Btw I'm still staying on 6.1, couldn't give a toss!
    1. Sage I's Avatar
      Sage I -
      Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
      If you lose your iPhone in a public area,you can kiss that phone goodbye because I highly doubt the person who finds it and takes it will return it to you. It's messed, but that's how it is now.
      I agree that is how it is now... That is how it has been... But at the same time things aren't always like that... I have seen and been involved in phones being found and returned many, many times... There are still honest, helpful, caring and friendly people out there... If you lose your iPhone or anything here in Hawaii, I along with many others will do whatever it takes to return it to you... I won't even expect or accept a reward...
    1. pakitos's Avatar
      pakitos -
      Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
      My phone is either in my pocket, in my/my kid's hand or on my desk (work & home) pretty much all the time. I don't even run a passcode.
      And I'd like to think if I lost my phone it might be returned by someone accessing my contacts and calling an obvious number like "me (work)" or "Mum" or something. If it's locked, whoever finds it can't do that.
      If that person is willing to give it back you can send him a message over iCloud Find My Phone, just text a contact number and if you are lucky he/she will call...
    1. DirkSwizzler's Avatar
      DirkSwizzler -
      Quote Originally Posted by pakitos View Post
      If that person is willing to give it back you can send him a message over iCloud Find My Phone, just text a contact number and if you are lucky he/she will call...
      I have a clear soft rubber case and just leave my business card on the back.
    1. Ramprat's Avatar
      Ramprat -
      Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
      If you lose your iPhone in a public area,you can kiss that phone goodbye because I highly doubt the person who finds it and takes it will return it to you. It's messed, but that's how it is now.
      I disagree. I am an aircraft mechanic, and you would be surprised how many people leave their phones on the aircraft after deplaning. The first thing I do is try to gain access to the contacts so I can return the phone to them, whether is is a flip phone or an iPhone. I know how important my phone is to me, and the person who lost theirs more than likely feels the same way about their phone. So you can't say "that's how it is now" because it is not. Sorry to say, but if that's the way you think, then you are probably one of the people who would keep the device they found.
    1. WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
      WithinTemptationFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ramprat View Post
      I disagree. I am an aircraft mechanic, and you would be surprised how many people leave their phones on the aircraft after deplaning. The first thing I do is try to gain access to the contacts so I can return the phone to them, whether is is a flip phone or an iPhone. I know how important my phone is to me, and the person who lost theirs more than likely feels the same way about their phone. So you can't say "that's how it is now" because it is not. Sorry to say, but if that's the way you think, then you are probably one of the people who would keep the device they found.
      Firstly, I'm not one of those people, so don't go around assuming things and secondly, from what I've noticed, that IS how it is now. Sure,there are people that would return it but that's not always the case. Just because YOU would return it doesn't mean everyone else is exactly like you. I've had my iPhone stolen before, and I never had it returned back to me.
    1. iH85CH001's Avatar
      iH85CH001 -
      Ain't nobody got time for this......
    1. tkawika's Avatar
      tkawika -
      I would think that the jailbreak community will come out with its own patch to the fix this. They have in the past.
    1. mirilopr's Avatar
      mirilopr -
      Yeah, I had an iphone 4 that I left in a store less than a month of having buying it. I noticed within a couple of minutes and it was already gone. I called immediately and it was already off. You would understand how Im a little bit sceptic of someone returning my phone
    1. myDevice's Avatar
      myDevice -
      Haha, nice! I tried it for my self and it worked perfect.

      For curiosity i tried to gain access to the whole device (from the device not the computer) but this failed (for now ). But i figured out how to get access to ALL the fotos on the device FROM the device. Just do the following:

      • Do the trick to get access to the phone app
      • Go to the contacts tab
      • open a contact of your choice (no matter at all which)
      • tab "edit" and tab the picture wall
      • now choose "choose picture"
      • and voilà, here you go

      Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
      Stupid. Calling 911 and hanging up gets a cop at your door to make sure you are ok. Speaking as a former dispatcher I can locate the exact house you are in.
      Dude, you right about this, BUT if you hang up IMMEDIATELY the phone was not able to set up a connection, so technically you did not make a call.