• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Released to Developers


    Apple Thursday afternoon seeded iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 to iOS developers for testing. iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 is the second beta of the iOS 6.1.1 beta that was seeded to developers a couple of weeks ago, although it has been renamed because the latest version of iOS is currently iOS 6.1.2 and iOS 6.1.1 was the chosen name for a hot-fix on the iPhone 4S.

    iOS 6.1.3 includes all of the improvements to the Maps application that were included in the iOS 6.1.1 beta, including the additional support for Japan, optimized directions, and improved road pronunciation as pointed out by 9to5Mac.

    In today’s beta version, iOS 6.1.3 appears to have fixed the iOS 6.1 lock screen security issue that could allow someone to bypass your passcode and access information such as your contacts, photos, phone history, and more. Apple made an official comment about the security issue, saying "Apple takes user security very seriously. We are aware of this issue, and will deliver a fix in a future software update."

    It is not yet known if the update patches the evais0n jailbreak. It is recommended that users avoid the update when it is released to the public until hackers have made an official announcement on what to do. Being that the update is only in the second beta, it probably has a while to go still before it hits the public's hands.

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Released to Developers started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 31 Comments
    1. DaLsim's Avatar
      DaLsim -
      Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
      What's up with all these updates??
      Crapple trying to push ios 7 for their next big trash iphone 5s? By the time we get iphone 5s on ios 7 NOBODY ready to finish updating ios 6.x.x...
    1. icebox93's Avatar
      icebox93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      Patching the jailbreak would only spoil the fun for a large number of Apple fans, who also happen to enjoy jailbreaking. I wonder if Apple can afford to do that right now?
      That large number pales next to the much larger number of idevices out there. Jailbreakers are fewer than 10% of idevice users. Apple has routinely patched the patchable holes jailbreaks rely on quickly. Apple just plain hates jailbreaking. Bring an obviously jailbroken phone in for service to an apple store and they'll tell you you've voided your warranty. They do not care about upsetting jailbreakers, but they're happy to borrow features first demonstrated by jailbreakers.
    1. towboattrash34's Avatar
      towboattrash34 -
      The only reason they are patching so quick is 6.0 is crap. Apple has been loosing their quality control since the map fiasco and the they put out 6.0 has been nothing but trouble.

      And yes evasi0n and any jailbreak is a security risk. It opens the door. Now anything can run on your iPhone cause the permissions has been bypassed/disabled.

      But this also why I bought an iPhone years ago
    1. wiipro's Avatar
      wiipro -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      Respectfully, you're wrong on at least one point. Even if you don't rate Apple's own security capabilities, the exploits used in Evasi0n were plastered all over the internet by independent security researchers within 24 hours of its release. Apple knows exactly where the holes are. They're either waiting because they want to make 100% sure their patches are watertight, or (just maybe - for whatever reason) they aren't in such a rush to patch it.

      I also have to disagree about evasi0n being a security hole. If a third party asked you to plug your iphone in to your computer, take off the password and run their software on your PC, whilst tapping certain icons that magically appeared on your phone, would you do it? If you're really that gullible, please PM me your SSN and bank account number.
      I agree but one thing...

      YOU BURNED HIM SO BAD!!!!!!
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by icebox93 View Post
      That large number pales next to the much larger number of idevices out there. Jailbreakers are fewer than 10% of idevice users. Apple has routinely patched the patchable holes jailbreaks rely on quickly. Apple just plain hates jailbreaking. Bring an obviously jailbroken phone in for service to an apple store and they'll tell you you've voided your warranty. They do not care about upsetting jailbreakers, but they're happy to borrow features first demonstrated by jailbreakers.
      So true. Then take out the people who would still buy an iDevice without a jailbreak and that number gets a lot smaller.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
      So true. Then take out the people who would still buy an iDevice without a jailbreak and that number gets a lot smaller.
      Absolutely. Those of us in forum land for jailbreaking mods - tend to think of ourselves as more larger a demographic for Apple than we really are. They're going after our jailbreaks one the exact same level as any other security threat. If they DIDN'T go after the exploits our devs find I would think that was very strange. LOL!! Security is a legal issue too. If they DON'T try to protect their end user they could be leaving themselves open to all sorts of legal suits. They 'have' to treat our devs as security threats. It will never stop.

      Then you ask - well WHY NOT for ANDROID? Well because Android is an OS only - not a piece of hardware. Android iOS is a chosen iOS by MANY DIFFERENT companies. Is security breaches happen who do they go after? Samsung? Nokia? Apple is a hardware AND OS company all in one. They can be sued. You can't sue 'Android'. There's no 'android' company - per se. At least not that releases its OWN hardware.
    1. XweAponX's Avatar
      XweAponX -
      Actually I was steaming mad at Apple for doing so many updates so soon, but now I see that 6.1.1 was just for the 4S, so I'll cut them a little slack about it. But just to reiterate, they left 6.0.1 alone for almost a whole month. But then Jailbreak? Boom, Update, Update, Update.

      And yes, Android, even Microsoft Windows for that matter, are OS's only. The Apple OS, iOS, are to be used in tandem with an Apple Device. Even though people do install MACOS onto PC's. But this was Steve Job's pet peeve: He always considered the MACOS to be part of the system just like the Hardware. But even regular MACOS's can be themed and modded.

      I think there are more Jailbreakers and Jailbroken iPhones than any demographic can account for. I don't know, about two in five of every iPhone or iPad user I've met has Jailbroken, and even mroe in the last 2 years.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
      Actually I was steaming mad at Apple for doing so many updates so soon, but now I see that 6.1.1 was just for the 4S, so I'll cut them a little slack about it. But just to reiterate, they left 6.0.1 alone for almost a whole month. But then Jailbreak? Boom, Update, Update, Update.

      And yes, Android, even Microsoft Windows for that matter, are OS's only. The Apple OS, iOS, are to be used in tandem with an Apple Device. Even though people do install MACOS onto PC's. But this was Steve Job's pet peeve: He always considered the MACOS to be part of the system just like the Hardware. But even regular MACOS's can be themed and modded.

      I think there are more Jailbreakers and Jailbroken iPhones than any demographic can account for. I don't know, about two in five of every iPhone or iPad user I've met has Jailbroken, and even mroe in the last 2 years.
      Apple can actually "track" every single iPhone in a jail broken or non jail broken state. This is well known. The 1 in 10 number is accurate - not conjecture.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
      However, a security hole is a security hole, and evasi0n at its core totally defeats the entire userspace and kernel's security systems and allows for total root privileged access and unsigned code execution across the device.
      I need to play Devil's advocate here. If escalation to root privilege of arbitrary unsigned code is a security hole, then my Debian box and my iMac - and in fact any Unix system - all have huge security holes.

      We all accept the risks of installing third party software on our PCs and laptops. We'd never tolerate being sold an OS X system without our having access to root, including the ability to run any process with super-user privileges. Why should we accept Apple's position that, in the specific case of an iDevice, we're too stupid to be trusted with the keys to our own castle? Folks - if you're serious about security, consider hiring some armed guards; post them outside your house and instruct them not to let you in under any circumstances. Your house will be lame and not very useful, but really, really secure.

      In the post Steve Jobs era, I can think of only three reasons for Apple to be wanting to kill jailbreaks:

      1) To patch legitimate security holes.
      2) To prevent software piracy.
      3) To ensure a continued 30% share of any software sold for iDevices.

      Item 1) really doesn't apply to Evasi0n. If you don't use passcode locks and encrypted backups, you already have a security hole, whether you jailbreak or not.
      Item 2) could be addressed independently from the issue of unsigned code execution, but Apple has consistently made no effort to do so because, IMHO, their primary goal is item 3).
    1. GrumpySod's Avatar
      GrumpySod -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      I need to play Devil's advocate here. If escalation to root privilege of arbitrary unsigned code is a security hole, then my Debian box and my iMac - and in fact any Unix system - all have huge security holes.

      We all accept the risks of installing third party software on our PCs and laptops. We'd never tolerate being sold an OS X system without our having access to root, including the ability to run any process with super-user privileges. Why should we accept Apple's position that, in the specific case of an iDevice, we're too stupid to be trusted with the keys to our own castle? Folks - if you're serious about security, consider hiring some armed guards; post them outside your house and instruct them not to let you in under any circumstances. Your house will be lame and not very useful, but really, really secure.

      In the post Steve Jobs era, I can think of only three reasons for Apple to be wanting to kill jailbreaks:

      1) To patch legitimate security holes.
      2) To prevent software piracy.
      3) To ensure a continued 30% share of any software sold for iDevices.

      Item 1) really doesn't apply to Evasi0n. If you don't use passcode locks and encrypted backups, you already have a security hole, whether you jailbreak or not.
      Item 2) could be addressed independently from the issue of unsigned code execution, but Apple has consistently made no effort to do so because, IMHO, their primary goal is item 3).
      You would think apple would either want a cut of the money from Cydia or realise that there is a place in the App Store for proper tweaks and themes!
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
      You would think apple would either want a cut of the money from Cydia or realise that there is a place in the App Store for proper tweaks and themes!
      Rumor is that some (even higher-up) folks at Apple do want to open up iOS further. There's no reason for them not to continue expanding their API. I wouldn't be surprised if we did one day see an Apple theme & tweak store.