• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Woz Worries That Apple Won't Be Cool Anymore


    Does Apple run the risk of not being "cool" with consumers anymore? That's a concern recently expressed by Steve Wozniak, a man who co-founded the company with Steve Jobs in 1976.

    Speaking with Bloomberg this week, Wozniak suggests that it's been too long since Apple released a product that raised the bar for the industry at large. “Apple is really good at setting a standard with a new device," Woz admitted. "Apple still has its halo in that regard.”

    But that may change unless Apple gets back to innovating in a big way.

    Following Jobs’s death in 2011, Apple has delivered upgrades and variations of devices including its iPad and iPhone, while coming under increasing pressure from rivals including Samsung Electronics Co. As shares have slumped 34 percent since a September peak, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook faces calls for revolutionary new machines that will prop up profitability.
    “We used to have these ads, I’m a Mac and I’m a PC, and the Mac was always the cool guy,” Wozniak says. “And ouch, it’s painful, because we kind of are losing that.”

    Woz, of course, hasn't lost hope or faith in the company he helped launch. In fact, talk of the so-called “iWatch” has rekindled his imagination and optimism for the innovation Apple may have in store.

    Wozniak is elated to hear that Apple has assigned dozens of its engineers to build the ultimate smartwatch. “Apple can keep engineers working so intently toward the right product, you don’t have to rush something out ahead of time,” he said.

    Source: Bloomberg
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Woz Worries That Apple Won't Be Cool Anymore started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 46 Comments
    1. Christophxr's Avatar
      Christophxr -
      I don't know. Macs are still considered to be "cooler" than PCs, and Android is really only more popular than iOS to people who really -want- to be hackers and devs, but aren't... which isn't most of us. The only thing at risk, I think, for not being as "cool" anymore is the iPhone. The iPod touch, the iPad mini, etc. are still pretty "cool." But who knows? This may snowball. First the iPhone, then the rest.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
      I don't know. Macs are still considered to be "cooler" than PCs, and Android is really only more popular than iOS to people who really -want- to be hackers and devs, but aren't... which isn't most of us. The only thing at risk, I think, for not being as "cool" anymore is the iPhone. The iPod touch, the iPad mini, etc. are still pretty "cool." But who knows? This may snowball. First the iPhone, then the rest.
      I think iPhones are a lot cooler than iPod touches. I'd rather be seen with my mid-range Android phone than my iPod.
    1. axb500's Avatar
      axb500 -
      Woz wants a job?
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      I think apple needs to think about something useful. Like catching up in the smartphone market and then passing by. Like they used to. And not waste times on stupid things like the "iWatch" and the "iTV". Seriously people. Stop making them do stupid things. Think before you speak morons. (Not directed towards people who agree with me)
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      AppleTV with applications/games and Apple HDTV would be head turners to say the least. Just a waiting game. At the same time that Apple has not had anything revolutionary in a few years, no other electronics company has either..just saying.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      I think apple needs to think about something useful. Like catching up in the smartphone market and then passing by. Like they used to. And not waste times on stupid things like the "iWatch" and the "iTV". Seriously people. Stop making them do stupid things. Think before you speak morons. (Not directed towards people who agree with me)
      Ummm I don't know if Innovation = (Catching up + Passing by). See before iPhone, Apple didn't had a Phone product. So to innovate, they NEED to come out with a product that already exists in the market but their product would perform leaps and bounds ahead of the existing product. You'd know what I'm saying if u have watched the first keynote for iPhone in 2007. Phone existed, even smartphones existed, but iPhone was just way beyond the Smartphone of 2007.

      Similarly they need to come out with a watch (I don't know about a tv, they already have Apple TV which they can include AppStore and call it the day) and do all kinds of things. No plastic bullsh1t and no colors. Just a metallic watch in gold or brushed steel finish (leather straps optional sold separately), and would be a mini iPhone connected to your idevice. Show you time, weather, calendar, reminders, sender and subject of emails, etc all via push notification and vibration alert (can be disabled). Apps for watch has endless possibilities as well.

      Would be nice.
    1. Jj2345's Avatar
      Jj2345 -
      He bashes apple every chance he gets lol
    1. buggsy2's Avatar
      buggsy2 -
      Google Goggles and its self-driving car are very innovative though perhaps not cool. Google seems way ahead of the industry in innovation but does that generate profit?
    1. ttthomas's Avatar
      ttthomas -
      this guys picture is hideous. please stop showing it. or if there is a way I can filter pedobear out please advise.
    1. WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
      WithinTemptationFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      Ummm I don't know if Innovation = (Catching up + Passing by). See before iPhone, Apple didn't had a Phone product. So to innovate, they NEED to come out with a product that already exists in the market but their product would perform leaps and bounds ahead of the existing product. You'd know what I'm saying if u have watched the first keynote for iPhone in 2007. Phone existed, even smartphones existed, but iPhone was just way beyond the Smartphone of 2007.

      Similarly they need to come out with a watch (I don't know about a tv, they already have Apple TV which they can include AppStore and call it the day) and do all kinds of things. No plastic bullsh1t and no colors. Just a metallic watch in gold or brushed steel finish (leather straps optional sold separately), and would be a mini iPhone connected to your idevice. Show you time, weather, calendar, reminders, sender and subject of emails, etc all via push notification and vibration alert (can be disabled). Apps for watch has endless possibilities as well.

      Would be nice.
      A iWatch really doesn't sound that appealing, sorry.
    1. tridley68's Avatar
      tridley68 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jj2345 View Post
      He bashes apple every chance he gets lol
      Woz is jealous that he sold out and Steve jobs stuck with it and made a lot of cash .
    1. starkall's Avatar
      starkall -
      Cause they aren't, check out the new Htc One and Sony xperia Z! I'm pissed I own a 64gb iPhone 5! Lol The only thing holding me back is all my computers are macs. Lol
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
      A iWatch really doesn't sound that appealing, sorry.
      No need to apologize. I'm just stating my opinion.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      The coolness to be lost isn't as much in the area of innovation - but more in the area of 'ubiquity' (being so widespread). No kid wants the same phone/computer as their Mom & Dad. Grandparents have iPhones now. Kids (Apple's mainstay) are increasingly drawn to Android simple because it's different than the 'older generation'.
    1. Lysias55's Avatar
      Lysias55 -
      An iWatch does sound awesome. It'd expand multitasking with the iPhone or any other iDevice. I'm sure they'd implement solar charging and or wireless charging with one of these. Sometimes I don't feel my phone vibrate but a vibration feature on this would make total sense, it'd be near impossible to miss anything. It'd be nice to have certain sensors in it also, just for mini apps that could be ran off of it. A sensor to read pulse come to mind or a pedometer.

      I disagree, I was drawn to an iPhone bc I could ditch my regular android and iPod for an iPhone, which replaced both. None of the new android phones impress me, they're built cheap and run an inferior vulnerable OS.
    1. b1997469's Avatar
      b1997469 -
      Apple was never cool. It was always for geeks and nerds and those that didn't want a cool PC and didn't like gaming.
    1. emckissack's Avatar
      emckissack -
      Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
      A iWatch really doesn't sound that appealing, sorry.
      Apple should revolutionize the game console. Call it the iCon.
    1. aidanharris's Avatar
      aidanharris -
      Quote Originally Posted by emckissack View Post
      Apple should revolutionize the game console. Call it the iCon.
      Then Surenix will sue and say it sound too similar to Ayecon :P
    1. ruslan120's Avatar
      ruslan120 -
      Apple stockholders... sell sell sell!
    1. Eonhpi's Avatar
      Eonhpi -
      Apple has something up there sleeves im sure there is still some research that jobs left behind and will get finished i could be wrong thi but im sure something gonna come from them