• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Seeking Fix for Blurry iPhone Pics


    It's a phenomenon we've all experienced: blurry iPhone pics - usually, when we're actually trying to capture a memory of lasting value.

    Aware of this commonplace occurrence, Apple is purportedly working on a fix for fuzzy images captured by the otherwise high-quality cameras built into our iDevices. This much is evident in a new patent filing by Apple coming to light this week.

    Details gleaned from a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing show that Apple is working on a method by which iPhones will capture a series of images within a single snapshot to determine which image is the highest quality of the bunch, based on a number of variables factored into the equation.
    The method can include storing a predetermined number of the sequence of images in a buffer. The device can receive a user request to capture an image. The method can automatically select one of the buffered images based on one or more parameters. For example, the selection may be based on an exposure time of one of the buffered images and optionally an image quality parameter (e.g., image contrast). Alternatively, the selection may be based only on the image quality parameter.
    While it remains to be seen if and how Apple will implement this technology in the next-gen iPhone, the filing was made by Apple in October of 2012. As a result, the timing may be right for the improved image capturing capabilities to turn up on the next iPhone refresh.

    Source: USPTO
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Seeking Fix for Blurry iPhone Pics started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
    1. blagger69's Avatar
      blagger69 -
      Camera isn't much cop in iPhones anyway. They should keep up with others.
    1. CustomSS1's Avatar
      CustomSS1 -
      Apple should consider letting us do manual-focus aswell.
      Auto-focus is a bit noobish.
    1. Christophxr's Avatar
      Christophxr -
      Wait, what? Why? I've yet to take one blurry photo on my 4S...
    1. blueaviator's Avatar
      blueaviator -
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

      Details gleaned from a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing show that Apple is working on a method by which iPhones will capture a series of images within a single snapshot to determine which image is the highest quality of the bunch.
      Amazing... I thought that this "multiple shot and select the best" was a feature already available since quite some time on Samsung Galaxy S phones (at least these ones...)

      So please, Apple, don't call it an "amazing feature" on your next phones...

      And yes, I have an iPhone...
    1. pyroemaniac's Avatar
      pyroemaniac -
      Yet another patent for something Samsung already implements in their galaxy phones.
    1. Merman123's Avatar
      Merman123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
      Wait, what? Why? I've yet to take one blurry photo on my 4S...
      Same here, but on iPhone 5 . I can't remember ever getting a blurry picture . At least not from a scenario that was obviously my fault.

      I agree manual focus should be implemented next.
    1. ThatOneProfile's Avatar
      ThatOneProfile -
      People will ALWAYS complain about something. I'm just glad apple fixed the battery drain that the 4s had.
    1. WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
      WithinTemptationFan -
      Never really had a problem with my camera, and I take a ton of pictures
    1. RandyTG's Avatar
      RandyTG -
      So their new camera concept will be like a DVR and will start recording images when you open the camera app and then discard all of the "bad" stuff after you have taken the picture and the iPhone has determined the "best" picture to keep. If they make the phone bigger they will have to increase the size of the battery for all of this extra processing that will be required.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
      If you're jailbroken, you can already fix it. Install iGotYa and disable power-off on the lock screen. Those poor folks with non-jailbroken, stock iOS 6.1 ;-)
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      Honestly, the cameras built in to the phones aren't very good, they can't be simply due to how small they must be.

      That being said, I generally only get blurry images when the camera lens is dirty, which happens a lot with the phones.
    1. andypropaganda's Avatar
      andypropaganda -
      Quote Originally Posted by blagger69 View Post
      Camera isn't much cop in iPhones anyway. They should keep up with others.
      Are you serious? What phones have a better camera? The iPhone still has one of the top 3 cameras in the industry as far as smartphones goes. If you have proof otherwise, I'd be very interested to see it.

      As far as the article goes, this "patent" they are filing for seems a little suspect considering that I believe Samsung and Windows have something similar to this already, but I think that Samsung's software expects a user selection as opposed to an auto-selection. I could be wrong though.
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post
      Apple should consider letting us do manual-focus aswell.
      Auto-focus is a bit noobish.
      I agree. I'd love to be able to manually adjust the focus and exposure instead of only auto and tap to focus.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Never had a problem with the camera. I think it takes great pictures!
    1. kalpesh78's Avatar
      kalpesh78 -
      Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
      Are you serious? What phones have a better camera? The iPhone still has one of the top 3 cameras in the industry as far as smartphones goes. If you have proof otherwise, I'd be very interested to see it.

      As far as the article goes, this "patent" they are filing for seems a little suspect considering that I believe Samsung and Windows have something similar to this already, but I think that Samsung's software expects a user selection as opposed to an auto-selection. I could be wrong though.
      I totally agree with you. I've even got some awards at local art galleries for the pictures I've clicked on a 5 megapixel Iphone 4 camera. you just need to right app for the job. (not instagram please. its the most over rated app around)
    1. scorpluto's Avatar
      scorpluto -
      I think iPhone 5 camera is good. iPhone's photo's are of excellent quality regardless of the lighting. it has better image processing feature also.