• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Enable Voice Dictation on Non-Siri Devices With 'Sara Dictation Keyboard'


    If youíre rocking an iPhone 4, or some other iOS device that doesnít have support for Siri, then chances are that you might be a little bit bummed by the fact that you canít take advantage of the sometimes-useful voice dictation feature, which allows you to simply speak in place of typing to input text into text fields.

    Although some of the older iOS devices are lacking Siri, and Siri dictation, that doesnít mean owners of these older devices have to go without. A new free jailbreak tweak called Sara Dictation Keyboard by iOS developer Nobita.ZZZ is now available in the ModMyi repository to bring you an alternative keyboard-based dictation feature on older iOS devices that donít support Siri dictation.

    As shown above, the tweak will add a microphone key to the keyboard. It shows up in the same place as the Siri dictation key would on a Siri dictation-enabled device. If you have Siri dictation on your iOS device, and you install Sara Dictation Keyboard, you will have two microphone keys on your keyboard and be able to choose between the two Ė we experienced some glitchy animations on the iPhone 5, but it works functionally. We didn't experience the same glitchy animations on the iPhone 4.

    You can see the differences between the Sara Dictation Keyboard microphone key, and the Siri dictation microphone key below:



    When you tap on the Sara Dictation Keyboard microphone key, youíll get the popup alert (shown below) that says sheís listening. You can then talk, and after youíre finished talking, you can tap on the OK button and Sara will process your words:



    After a couple of seconds (itís noticeably slower than Siri dictation), Sara Dictation Keyboard will translate what you say into readable text on your screen:



    So basically, Sara Dictation Keyboard works fine, but itís a little slower than weíd prefer. Itís definitely great that itís free, and there will definitely be some people that will enjoy using the tweak so they can type hands-free on non-Siri dictation devices. It's also very nice how the developer managed to integrate Sara Dictation Keyboard into the keyboard as if it were actually a stock feature.

    Because of the animation glitches we experienced on the iPhone 5, we recommend you stay away from this tweak on devices that already have Siri dictation installed on them. Siri dictation will work better anyhow.

    If you don't have Siri dictation on your iOS device, definitely give this tweak a try and let us know how you like it!

    Name: Sara Dictation Keyboard
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: Nobita.ZZZ
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Enable Voice Dictation on Non-Siri Devices With 'Sara Dictation Keyboard' started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
    1. ProZack27's Avatar
      ProZack27 -
      This would be great if it could be integrated with Google's TTS engine.
    1. iH85CH001's Avatar
      iH85CH001 -
      Too bad this doesnt work. When i install it, it simply does nothing. I even rebooted after i did the respring from cydia after installing. Oh well, i guess.
    1. xthebigsterx's Avatar
      xthebigsterx -
      it must be nice for iphones 4 and 3gs, ive seen lots of videos of it working well, i cant say so though, i have an iphone 4s :d
    1. Raybeast's Avatar
      Raybeast -
      Anthony, you won't believe it but I was just browsing Cydia for something exactly like this. Thanks!!

      Edit: Only working in some apps. -_-
    1. Nobita.ZZZ's Avatar
      Nobita.ZZZ -
      incoming update will have language chooser, with 39 languages
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nobita.ZZZ View Post
      incoming update will have language chooser, with 39 languages
      Don't suppose you could make the button a bit wider and have it capitalize the first word?

      Thanks for the awesome tweak though!
    1. the_natrual's Avatar
      the_natrual -
      Are anyone else's tweaks and themes saying their due for an upgrade... Then when you upgrade them their still saying they need to be upgraded?
    1. Faresismail's Avatar
      Faresismail -
      it's not that good because it is not yet compatible with the emoji keyboard and when u press the space bar u see the dictation disappears and re appears. A while ago there was a tweak named Siri dictations now that one was awesome.

      by the way I typed this with my sara dictations
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Works on biteSMS

      Edit: well, on the main app. NOT on QR or QC. And it's slow/laggy, and apparently hard of hearing to boot. Works well sometimes.
    1. Jailbr0k's Avatar
      Jailbr0k -
      Ok work fine
      BUT look video, sorry i am french

    1. mantapzzz's Avatar
      mantapzzz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nobita.ZZZ View Post
      incoming update will have language chooser, with 39 languages
      i've been download the tweak, then there is something trouble with my game, so I remove the tweak and I repring the device. when I finished respring my device, I open my cydia and searching for the tweak, and I found nothing(the sara dictation).
      is the tweak has been removed?
      thanks before
    1. spinoza's Avatar
      spinoza -
      Yeah, it's gone for me too. What's up? The file seems to be gone from modmyi's server; searching on CydiaUpdates.net shows that it used to be there but it's a dead link now: CydiaUpdates.net
    1. dbiphone's Avatar
      dbiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by spinoza View Post
      Yeah, it's gone for me too. What's up? The file seems to be gone from modmyi's server; searching on CydiaUpdates.net shows that it used to be there but it's a dead link now: CydiaUpdates.net
      same here...

      any help would be appreciated
    1. dbiphone's Avatar
      dbiphone -
      are we allowed to post links here?

      i found the .deb file for sara dictation
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by dbiphone View Post
      are we allowed to post links here?

      i found the .deb file for sara dictation
      Please do not post a download link. The tweak was removed from the repo for a legitimate reason.

      Thanks.
    1. dbiphone's Avatar
      dbiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      Please do not post a download link. The tweak was removed from the repo for a legitimate reason.

      Thanks.
      are we allowed to discuss the reason?
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by dbiphone View Post
      are we allowed to discuss the reason?
      I'd rather not make that call.