• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Made More Money Than...



    Apple made a lot of money last quarter, $46.33 billion to be exact. But, other than a bunch of zeros on a balance sheet, what does $46,000,000,000 equal?

    A new site, Apple made more money than..., answers that question in a seemingly never-ending string of user submitted facts. The website starts with the simple phrase “Apple made more money than...” at the top of the page and a user submitted responses refresh underneath in a continuous loop of comparisons.

    Some highlights include:


    • Enough to buy Adobe 3 times
    • Eight times the GDP of Somolia
    • 23,165 times more than Chuck Norris makes in a year
    • Twice as much as RIM made the whole year
    • A stack of pennies 41,000 miles high.
    • Enough to put 1/10 of high school seniors through college.
    • Cost of 203 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners.
    • The value of 72,220 bars of gold.
    • The entire yearly defense budget of the U.K.
    • The monthly salary of 185 million Foxconn workers.


    Definitely a few different and enlightening ways to look at the amount of revenue Apple pulled in last quarter. Perhaps the most eye-opening comparison comes when figuring out how much money the typical Foxconn worker makes in a year. Using the numbers provided, the average Foxconn worker makes $250 a month.

    Feel free to include you own “Apple made more money than” facts in the comments.

    *Yes the fact the site is based off Apple's revenue not their cash horde is an "interesting" decision. but the creators have already talked about adding a toggle to switch between revenue, profit and cash horde*

    Source: Applemademoremoneythan
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Made More Money Than... started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      I have a feeling Chuck isnt going to like being referenced.
    1. Alluziion's Avatar
      Alluziion -
      Just seen this one that stood out...

      "More than the entire value of Apple in 2004".
    1. flash66's Avatar
      flash66 -
      How about enough money to almost end hunger and homeless in the US. Who needs all that money anyway?
      Change the world for the better. If I had a company with that much surplus, the deeds I would do...
    1. dennder's Avatar
      dennder -
      Some of those are pretty hilarious, like three times adobe worth or two times microsoft... Buy the competition, shut them down... And i don't even want to know, how many samsungs can be bought... (trolling, i know, couldn't resist)

      Aside from obvious flame about "apple sheep" feeding the budget, which is expected to arise from apple-haters, i wonder - what will bitten apple will do with that pile of money? This is net profit of ~13Bil USD for apple (correct me if i'm wrong). And that much money can do things... They easily could invest it in prototyping, building and manufacturing enough mobile devices, tablets, notebooks and desktops along with the operating system, which would render all competitors flat altogether. Shame it won't happen... Sigh...
    1. jose060789's Avatar
      jose060789 -
      This isn't right, Chuck Norris for sure makes unlimited supplies of money. Check your sources next time MMi!
      Chuck Norris won't be happy when he sees this.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Apple makes more money than Chuck Norris...because Chuck Norris allows them to.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Chuck Norris doesn't make money......money asks for permission to be had by Chuck Norris.
    1. R.Mortera's Avatar
      R.Mortera -
      Show off.. (apple)
    1. PAKIS-RULEZ's Avatar
      PAKIS-RULEZ -
      Revenue is not same as net income! Get your facts straight.. If you went to college.. Who ever wrote this you un-educated person! You can have revenue of 2 trillion but net income of 1 million.... And thats what count!
    1. jeffrh's Avatar
      jeffrh -
      Quote Originally Posted by PAKIS-RULEZ View Post
      Revenue is not same as net income! Get your facts straight.. If you went to college.. Who ever wrote this you un-educated person! You can have revenue of 2 trillion but net income of 1 million.... And thats what count!
      Exactly... $46 Bil in total SALES... Ever heard of a thing called EXPENSES? Deduct the operating EXPENSES from the total SALES and you get what's left to keep. It's called Net INCOME. That is the amount of money you MADE and get to keep for other things. DUH!

      Net INCOME was $13 BILLION. That is how much was left over to keep. That's not shabby, but it's not $46! Sounds like whoever wrote this article needs to take a little business 101.
    1. Eonhpi's Avatar
      Eonhpi -
      So since they are a big company they avoid taxes by having money over seas no wonder why Cali is broke no one gives back ..
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Chuck Norris just raised and beat up his dead great grandparents over this. He's definitely not happy with your statistics can't wait to see what he does to you.....
    1. iGamers's Avatar
      iGamers -
      Quote Originally Posted by jeffrh View Post
      Exactly... $46 Bil in total SALES... Ever heard of a thing called EXPENSES? Deduct the operating EXPENSES from the total SALES and you get what's left to keep. It's called Net INCOME. That is the amount of money you MADE and get to keep for other things. DUH!

      Net INCOME was $13 BILLION. That is how much was left over to keep. That's not shabby, but it's not $46! Sounds like whoever wrote this article needs to take a little business 101.
      He never stated that the $46 billion was profit, he simply stated that it's how much the company made, stop attacking the journalist, why has this community gotten so hostile, discouraging, and simply rude, grow up and show respect, MMi should start banning people for insulting and disrespecting others like that, there's a much simpler and much less rude approach to letting people know that their profit was only $13 billion and not $46 billion
    1. Alluziion's Avatar
      Alluziion -
      Quote Originally Posted by jeffrh View Post
      Exactly... $46 Bil in total SALES... Ever heard of a thing called EXPENSES? Deduct the operating EXPENSES from the total SALES and you get what's left to keep. It's called Net INCOME. That is the amount of money you MADE and get to keep for other things. DUH!

      Net INCOME was $13 BILLION. That is how much was left over to keep. That's not shabby, but it's not $46! Sounds like whoever wrote this article needs to take a little business 101.
      Actually, you don't deduct expenses directly from sales. You deduct the cost of sales from the sales/revenue to get your gross profit then deduct your expenses from that to receive your Operating Profit; then any long-term liabilities that haven't already been deducted as well as tax need to be removed from the Operating Profit to get your Net Profit. Maybe you already knew this but was too busy raging to write it correctly. Idiot.

      Also, the OP clearly states that the figure is revenue and not Net Profit.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
      And i don't even want to know, how many samsungs can be bought... (trolling, i know, couldn't resist)
      The answer would be zero. Samsung makes more revenue per year over Apple and is the worlds largest tech firm by revenue. They also reported a NET profit of $12.2 Billion for last year.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
      He never stated that the $46 billion was profit, he simply stated that it's how much the company made, stop attacking the journalist, why has this community gotten so hostile, discouraging, and simply rude, grow up and show respect, MMi should start banning people for insulting and disrespecting others like that, there's a much simpler and much less rude approach to letting people know that their profit was only $13 billion and not $46 billion
      Couldn't agree more, our journalist deserve more respect than what most give. Phil does a fantastic job and I've liked his articles since day one. Like another poster said he clearly stated
      that it wasn't net profit, but revenue.

      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      The answer would be zero. Samsung makes more revenue per year over Apple and is the worlds largest tech firm by revenue. They also reported a NET profit of $12.2 Billion for last year.
      This is a great example of a response coming across very polite but correcting a fellow mmi member. I hope the 2 other guys take some notes from you on how they respond to people. Thanks for sharing and being polite.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
      He never stated that the $46 billion was profit, he simply stated that it's how much the company made, stop attacking the journalist, why has this community gotten so hostile, discouraging, and simply rude, grow up and show respect, MMi should start banning people for insulting and disrespecting others like that, there's a much simpler and much less rude approach to letting people know that their profit was only $13 billion and not $46 billion
      I agree with you that there is no reason for people to be rude, and there is a lot of that here. The reason is most likely that there are a lot of "know it alls" here, and they feel that they are superior (even when they are not).

      I disagree though on people being banned for it. I believe in freedom of speech, and that people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how annoying and dumb they can be. There is already a lot of censorship on this site, no need for anymore.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      I agree with you that there is no reason for people to be rude, and there is a lot of that here. The reason is most likely that there are a lot of "know it alls" here, and they feel that they are superior (even when they are not).

      I disagree though on people being banned for it. I believe in freedom of speech, and that people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how annoying and dumb they can be. There is already a lot of censorship on this site, no need for anymore.

      Censorship for the better of this site.
    1. Alluziion's Avatar
      Alluziion -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      The answer would be zero. Samsung makes more revenue per year over Apple and is the worlds largest tech firm by revenue. They also reported a NET profit of $12.2 Billion for last year.
      Samsung may have an extremely high turnover but their profit-margins are still substantially low. Samsung made $12.2 Billion (Net Profit) for the FULL year of 2011 where as Apple made $13 Billion (Net profit) for a SINGLE quarter... you do the math
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
      Samsung may have an extremely high turnover but their profit-margins are still substantially low. Samsung made $12.2 Billion (Net Profit) for the FULL year of 2011 where as Apple made $13 Billion (Net profit) for a SINGLE quarter... you do the math
      Compare to Apples profit margins anything looks low :-p
      Still healthy profits compared to other tech firms.

      It'd be interesting to know how much of Samsungs revenue is Apple generated.